The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

Our family was adopted by a stray tortoiseshell in 2007, and we had the pleasure of her company for over 6 years. We called her Penny as she turned up like a lost one. The vet estimated her age on arrival at about 7-8, and said, "watch out,  tortoiseshells have fiery temperaments". Penny must have had a flawed personality then, as she was an absolute delight who never caused us any bother around the house, although that fabled fiery side flared up every time we had to put her in a carry box. She and I seemed to have a particular connection - if I sat down to watch evening TV she would jump up onto my lap and sit there staring at me until I took notice (it was hard not to!) and then she'd stretch out up one side of my chest so her head was beside mine and I'd then be watching TV gently stroking the purring cat......she only did this with me which amused the rest of the family! At the time we had two sons with cars parked on the front driveway so my car was relegated to a spot around the corner alongside the garden wall (we had an end-of-terrace). Penny was often waiting for me to come home from work, perched on the wall - once I'd parked up she'd jump onto the car roof, bonnet and ground then she'd walk beside me around to the front door - the folks across the road must have thought it was rather cute!

She passed away with health issues in late 2013 and although we were happy to have given her a home we didn't get a replacement, partly because we thought Penny was irreplaceable. Fast forward to early 2020, we move to a new home 200 miles away and the neighbours have a tortoiseshell cat who's so similar to Penny in looks and temperament it's uncanny! If she hears our front door opening she comes round to say hello, and thinks nothing of doing so if the front door is left open for any reason. The neighbours the other side have four cats and 3 years on I may finally be on the verge of making friends with one of them who grudgingly lets me stroke his head if he's lying down and can't be bothered to stand up and walk away, and now actually makes eye contact instead of staring at my shoes! We'd be very tempted to get another cat but the tortoiseshell's home has other cats on and off (they've had some problems there, last year a young male cat passed away suddenly and right now another new one's gone missing....) so introducing another cat into the scene could stir up a turf war, as there are other cats in the vicinity. Which reminds me, one late evening last summer there was a very noisy feline bust-up outside and I peered out of the kitchen window to see bunches of cat fur blowing around on the driveway like tumbleweed......thought I'd best stay indoors and out of the way 😬!!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Currently I'm in Air the UK and my Daughter rang this morning from Italy. Apparently Freya, our latest rescue kitten, has been out on the town celebrating her first season, but shot inside as soon as the door was opened. Dylan and Whiskers (both rescues too) are showing great interest, despite both having been attended to (as above)....

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Update on neighbour's missing cat - she vanished on the 14th and to their relief reappeared at 6.00am on the 18th, so she was already back home when I put my post up! It was only her second time outdoors but her homing beacon seems to work.......eventually!

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 4

7 hours ago, Harlequin said:

My lovely cat Carrie died this morning. She was nearly 18 and she had suffered from several health problems in recent months, which finally got the better of her.

This photo was taken 10 years ago when she was in her prime.

20130506_122047.jpg.ca81cfe98df6fbde20b6843876fa57c5.jpg

R.I.P. my beautiful golden teddy bear.

My sympathies friend, what a gorgeous looking cat. Lovely Lynx ear Tufts. Any Abbysinian in her?

C6T.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

My sympathies friend, what a gorgeous looking cat. Lovely Lynx ear Tufts. Any Abbysinian in her?

C6T.

Thanks! She was pedigree Abyssinian: black tips on her ears and her tail, her pads were black and black ticking on all her guard hairs. Apart from her white bib, everything else sandy blonde. She was my little passive-aggressive lioness and I was lucky to have her.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

10 hours ago, Harlequin said:

My lovely cat Carrie died this morning. She was nearly 18 and she had suffered from several health problems in recent months, which finally got the better of her.

Very sad, but 18's not  a bad innings for a cat.  At least it looks like she lived in an area where you can allow her out.  I'm too close to a busy A road that we daren't let ours out and then we have a panic if they escape.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Sorry for the loss Phil. Lovely looking cat.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 22/02/2023 at 10:18, Michael Hodgson said:

Ours prefers the dog beds.

Poor Arran was really upset the other day. He went to his bed and found Whiskers parked exactly in the centre of it (as cats do!). He looked at me with a "Daddy! Help!" expression. I shifted Whiskers (protesting of Course!) and Arran reclaimed his bed. Bless him! He went to the far end and curled up leaving a space for Whiskers, who, offended, refused it.

They have been found sharing the bed in the past. It's a large bed, but Arran is quite capable of spreading himself all over it.

(Arran really belongs on the dog thread, but Whiskers is a cat so it's here.)

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Another dog/cat crossover bed thread.

Many years ago we had a dog and a cat, each having a box that they generally used.  My mother tripped over the dog once too often, shouted at him to get into his box, and in some flusterment he jumped into the cat box.  Which was occupied.  

• Like 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1