The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

23 hours ago, Markwj said:

I don’t know why she does this. While she does occasionally like to sleep on your knee she prefers next to your knee on the recliner part of the couch. When you want to get up you climb over the side of the couch (never disturb a sleeping cat) and then the little sod gets up anyway once you are up!

IMG_7364.jpeg

Mia decided she'd have a kip on my legs today. An event so rare I almost phoned the local church campanology group to warm up the ropes.

In other news, the vets were perfectly satisfied with how Remedee has fared after spaying, so that's a done deal. If last week ends up being the pinnacle of worry I shall have over that cat then I shall be amazed but immensely grateful!

C6T

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

21 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

She's gorgeous!

(And the white fur gives her stealth dazzle camo on your decor!)

C6T.

Luna also sports something she shares with Remedee, who's also tabby & white, that I can't recall encountering on any other cat (mine have been tabby adjacent but not full on). I literally don't know if it's a specific markings thing or not.

On her chest there's definitive lines in the fur. When I'm fussing Dee there's the same and there's a tactile difference in the coat in that area that's almost like a ripple effect. Maybe this is usual, but I found it particularly interesting as id never encountered it before.

C6T.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

If the mice are fast enough then kitty will go hungry! Mind you I would be happy to feed the kitty, I love ginger cats so happy to have a well fed ginger who doesn't catch any mice or birds.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

If the mice are fast enough then kitty will go hungry! Mind you I would be happy to feed the kitty, I love ginger cats so happy to have a well fed ginger who doesn't catch any mice or birds.

I enjoy those YouTube scenes where cats live in harmony with pet mice and birds. Unfortunately, even the best fed cat will engage in hunting because it is in their nature. I lost count of the number of times I’ve rescued a small bird from the mouth of one of our cats, and sometimes the poor creature even survived!

Once a cat matures they loose the urge to hunt, at least proactively, and will quite happily sit there looking at potential prey with a look of ‘if I was a few years younger I’d have you’ on their face. Our last cat used to regularly leave dead squirrels and rabbits on our front door step (I think they were left as presents and we were supposed to eat them) but in her later years a squirrel could approach her without fear of being attacked.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Deeps said:

I enjoy those YouTube scenes where cats live in harmony with pet mice and birds. Unfortunately, even the best fed cat will engage in hunting because it is in their nature. I lost count of the number of times I’ve rescued a small bird from the mouth of one of our cats, and sometimes the poor creature even survived!

Once a cat matures they loose the urge to hunt, at least proactively, and will quite happily sit there looking at potential prey with a look of ‘if I was a few years younger I’d have you’ on their face. Our last cat used to regularly leave dead squirrels and rabbits on our front door step (I think they were left as presents and we were supposed to eat them) but in her later years a squirrel could approach her without fear of being attacked.

I've known some cats to carry on hunting quite a lot their entire lives (or at least until they were starting to noticeably reach old age), others are as you describe. Mine's coming up to ten now and rarely hunts, but I did find a dead mouse on the floor a few days ago, for the first time in a year or so.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I've known some cats to carry on hunting quite a lot their entire lives (or at least until they were starting to noticeably reach old age), others are as you describe. Mine's coming up to ten now and rarely hunts, but I did find a dead mouse on the floor a few days ago, for the first time in a year or so.

Very true, and I hope your cat has many more years ahead of it. I should have pointed out that our last cat was approaching her 22nd birthday when we lost her, and her predecessor was 17, so despite their hunting instincts being intact age related degradation was saying ‘no’.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I do not let my cat go out, there are just too many bad things out there. So mine gets her hunting done inside; just the other day there was a commotion just outside my "library/lounge" door. I got up to czech it out and she was attempting to destroy a large roach and with a little help from me, it was gone, down the tubes. I have seen maybe three mice inside since I moved in (9+ years ago), one I caught and tossed outdoors (no cat involved), the others had unsuccessful cat chasers. I have not seen any since, maybe the word was out!

• Friendly/supportive 2

32 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I do not let my cat go out, there are just too many bad things out there.

I can understand that from a US perspective, from a rural Enligh perspective (and from the perspective of the local fauna) our two are the bad things out there. 😁

Edited by TT-Pete
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Deeps said:

I may have posted this one before:

BlackbirdandTillyP1190744.JPG.758e26e80b188b9c83d85a581606a032.JPG

Made me realise that Tilly was getting old!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

I can understand that from a US perspective, from a rural Enligh perspective (and from the perspective of the local fauna) our two are the bad things out there. 😁

I don't allow mine outside, the bad things out there mostly have wheels, and the ones that don't have two legs and walk upright.

Much safer indoors.

Andi

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Our Monty is somewhere around 10. A few weeks ago we found a dead mouse or rat in the basement. It looked to have been efficiently killed but not molested post mortem. 

I call Monty a goalkeeper as he loses interest in his toys when they stop moving.

And recently he took an interest in the central heating vent. When I removed it, there was a large moth under the grate.  I managed to trap it and remove it outside. I can't imagine how it got in.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Dagworth said:

I don't allow mine outside, the bad things out there mostly have wheels, and the ones that don't have two legs and walk upright.

Much safer indoors.

It really depends on where you live. Near a busy road, no thanks, but somewhere quiet I'm not too worried. Although you hear of some appalling people from time to time ones that bad are thankfully thin on the ground.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Our two used to go out and we eventually kept track of their movements with GPS trackers. But even this didn't stop the younger one from occasionally getting injured.

They now have the run of the house and the back garden only, which has products from this excellent company fitted - https://katzecure.com/

The company are based locally to us, but they work all over the country.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

image.jpeg.a9851573a14eb89e2b76d6d1ad0356fa.jpeg

This is Samson in the garden back in 1999, the last time we intentionally let a cat out of doors.  Having "Gone Persian" we discovered it just wasn't worth the grooming hassle when they came back in covered in twigs and leaves.

These days we toil under a normal domestic moggy but the indoor rule still applies, for safety reasons and force of habit.