The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Premium
On 20/06/2024 at 14:45, J. S. Bach said:

Speaking of cats and children:

Allergiccatsign.jpg.2f3239819fd53fe4010a2b5366aa6fa7.jpg

You have set me thinking, I would love to have a cat but my wife is allergic to them!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, Chris116 said:

You have set me thinking, I would love to have a cat but my wife is allergic to them!

Technically I'm allergic to cats, but currently live happily with 6 of them. I've been lucky in that my allergy has become less severe over years of exposure, to the point where the worst that happens is that I sometimes get a bit sniffly when meeting a new moggy.

Not everyone would be that lucky though. If someone's cat allergy were on a par with my horse allergy, which, while not life threatening, is unpleasant enough that I avoid provoking it as far as possible, I can understand a policy of strict feline avoidance.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

My nephew has (or had) a cat allergy that only happened the first time he met one.  He was at our place once and met our new cat and had an asthma attack. He'd left his puffer at home.  We went to our druggist who said that "There isn't much of a black market for puffers so he'd let us have one and get a prescription later".

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

Most of the cats we have had have tended to shun visitors. Except for one or two friends and relatives who have an allergy / general dislike of cats. Then they are all over them like a rash determined to leave furry evidence of their attention.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

Bizarre cat related incident.

Went to the boozer yesterday and as soon as I opened the door the cat jumped over my shoulder and straight down the flight of steps. Went in, got my beer and noticed there was a dog running about. One of those Dulex dogs, but was only a puppy and quite harmless. But it's probably irked the cat so he's gone outside for a bit.

About half an hour later the dog owner said "That shouldn't be allowed"

"Eh?"

"That thing. You shouldn't be allowed to bring your pet cat to a pub"

"I haven't got a cat!"

"What's that then?" pointing at the cat now sitting next to me on the pool table "That's your cat"

"That's Sirius, the pub cat. He lives here! Where do you expect him to be?" I give the cat a bit of a stroke

With that the cat starts rubbing his head on me. He seemed to know I've just defended him.

Bloke walks away muttering under his breath....

I'll see if I've got some photos of him on my phone. Should have some. Not of the idiot, the cat!

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Remedee had some roast chicken yesterday. Fortunately she doesn't read RMWeb so probably won't be hot footing it to Andi's gaff knowing he's a soft touch for that particular culinary treat. Besides which, I think she's young so has yet to develop much in the way of a "Madam" complex, currently anything goes food wise!

C6T.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

On 23/06/2024 at 10:14, Captain Kernow said:

IMG-20221102-WA0000.jpg.edcca2b8cf4b6e24c17034c6dd5b3285.jpg

Two cats, but where does one begin and the other end?!...

Just noticed, a Tux with white ear tips, how rare is that!?

C6T.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Just noticed, a Tux with white ear tips, how rare is that!?

I didn't realise it was particularly rare?! What I do know is that we have to put cat sunscreen on his ear tips and his white nose during the summer, on vets advice...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, JZ said:

Lovely Bengal on my train from Portsmouth to Bristol.

WhatsAppImage2024-06-24at15_00.14_48d4eb41.jpg.713f5e1ffbddb774eefd8527b8e28dbb.jpg

WhatsAppImage2024-06-24at15_00.14_6d0b5dc9.jpg.20813b6eae63f59e147688103823a802.jpg

Other passengers in that part of the train all gave it a stroke and got it's photo.

Taking my adopted 1 ish year old home for the first time and then to the vets for jabs, in her box, on her blanket with a ton of treats was a fairly traumatic experience for both of us (perhaps more me in fairness).

How do you discover that actually they'd be perfectly fine loose on a train?

I saw a bloke with one that wasnt even on a lead at Bath station once, just sat on his shoulders. if it bolted you wouldn't have a hope of finding it again?

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

23 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Taking my adopted 1 ish year old home for the first time and then to the vets for jabs, in her box, on her blanket with a ton of treats was a fairly traumatic experience for both of us (perhaps more me in fairness).

Our last cat became too stressed when transported in any form of ‘cage’ so the routine was for her to just sit on my lap, with the wife driving, when taking her to the vets for its annual check-up and flu jab. She would have a collar and lead on (the cat, not my wife!) and although the police would have taken a grim view of the cat not being properly  secured all went well. 

In the vets waiting room the cat was quite happy on my lap, even when other people brought dogs in. I sensed there was a sort of truce between all the animals there as they knew what lay ahead and were mutually sympathetic to each other.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

7 minutes ago, Deeps said:

and although the police would have taken a grim view of the cat not being properly  secured all went well. 

If I remember correctly it is the devil is in the detail of what is properly secured!

On 23/06/2024 at 11:35, petethemole said:

We had visitors yesterday.  About 5 am my son Martyn, who is nocturnal, saw from his bedroom window five kittens playing in the garden, one ginger and white, and an adult ginger and white cat in the garden next door.  I went out about 9.30 and they were still playing, but on seeing me they all hid.  They stayed hiding in various places all day, moving occasionally. They were quite small, I reckon about 8 weeks old. One climbed the fence to the car park behind and disappeared, later another did the same.  I put some water out for them but they didn't appear to touch it. By late evening we could only find one. After midnight Martyn heard mewing outside and went out to see the last kitten climbing the fence and dropping off outside.  Looking over the fence with a torch he saw the adult cat with all five kittens.  I took one photo, of two hiding in the space between our tree and the fence, hidden beneath branches of a straggly laurel.  Before I went for the camera there were four there.

DSC_0180crop.jpg

Please contact your local Cats Protection or other charity and get these kittens and their relaitves trapped and neutered. They will do this for free. You could easily have a feral colony of 25 in under 6 months time as these kittens will themselves be fertile in 3 months from now.  

Edited by ianmianmianm
added some extra info
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3