The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Premium

Trainable?  It depends what you mean.

One of our cats learned quite early on that if, while I am sat at the computer, he sat on the floor between my legs looking up (big eyes I want something), if I then say, "come on show me what you want" , he will then set off to the kitchen.  The normal destinations would be the feeding bowl = I want (fresh) food or the kitchen door = I want out.

A number of others have learnt to mimic this with some subtle differences but in each case, the "come on show me what you want" causes them to move towards the kitchen before I start to get up.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, big jim said:

faye responds to ‘high five’ she stands on her back legs leaning against the kitchen cupboard and raises one of her front paws above her head to high five you, her reward is a meat stick from the cupboard, we have to ‘leave her hanging’ sometimes as she’s just trying to get extra treats! 

anyway she’s enjoying her holiday at the caravan!

DAF27670-5461-446A-BCFB-1DFA8CB596CD.jpeg.da9232ce8c5bda8b12c70294b3f62192.jpeg

Don't you have trouble with the heat in a caravan if it gets locked up when you go out? 

Or can you safely let her out to roam and find her way back?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

She’s up here all the time so comes and goes as she pleases, doesn’t wander far either, likes to go into the trees behind the van mainly

We also have a big air conditioner unit for when it gets really hot (not that that’s happened yet this year!) 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

We had a three legged cat when we had our canal cabin cruiser, he used to come with us on holidays and seemed to enjoy it. We used to let him wander when we moored up and one time when we were coming down a steep slope from the pub above the canal he frightened the life out of us by coming to meet us! Only lost him once when he got spooked by a marina's guard dog but he turned up later and we went to collect him!

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

42E2B239-51F9-4803-A886-BE1415C3DBB5.jpeg.dd43bac1503173e658831bf36e6f2316.jpeg

faye doesn’t get up to much on her holidays!

hamk went missing last night for a couple of hours after we’d let him out while we went to the clubhouse, then he rolled in at 01:30 with a live mouse as a present for us, thankfully managed to pick it up quickly and put it back outside where it ran off into the undergrowth, didn’t fancy having to get it out from under one of the seats in the ‘van 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, big jim said:

42E2B239-51F9-4803-A886-BE1415C3DBB5.jpeg.dd43bac1503173e658831bf36e6f2316.jpeg

faye doesn’t get up to much on her holidays!

hamk went missing last night for a couple of hours after we’d let him out while we went to the clubhouse, then he rolled in at 01:30 with a live mouse as a present for us, thankfully managed to pick it up quickly and put it back outside where it ran off into the undergrowth, didn’t fancy having to get it out from under one of the seats in the ‘van 

Benji has brought us three live mice in the last week - I managed to rescue two of them and release them outside, but the third escaped and ended up expiring under one of the bookcases - fortunately we figured out where it was, and extracted the remains, before it started stinking...

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 03/06/2022 at 10:36, Bill Radford said:

Just had a good wash, now needs somewhere to dry!

IMG0002A.jpg.72979056581b21853e6c1e40076d508a.jpg

Amazed you can leave those boxes of cat food pouches unguarded. In my house they have to remain behind lock and key (a merely closed kitchen cupboard isn't secure enough!) or they tend to gain mysterious rips and puncture wounds.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, admiles said:

Amazed you can leave those boxes of cat food pouches unguarded. In my house they have to remain behind lock and key (a merely closed kitchen cupboard isn't secure enough!) or they tend to gain mysterious rips and puncture wounds.....

My cat doesn't seem mad keen on any of them, but if I just give her the dried food (which she prefers) she doesn't eat quite enough. So I end up with a lot of leftover meat.

If I left a packet of those Dreamies treats anywhere she could find them on the other hand... Found out that mistake early on when I thought they'd be safe chucked on top of the kitchen cupboards, where I'd never seen her climb up before. Found the chewed-up almost empty packet on the kitchen floor in the morning.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, admiles said:

Had that trouble the first time I went round to feed next doors pair, Tay and Toto.  I just put the food bag on the worktop.  Empty with big holes in the side when I went round in the morning and neither cat wanting breakfast!  Never have any trouble like that with Tilly.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2022 at 20:01, TT-Pete said:

The wife took one glance at this and said "Awwww, we'd have them, where is he?" -  Australia.  :^)

Pete,

Please pass on my regards to your wife and thank her for her kindness.

Someone is coming for a meet and greet on the weekend and would like to adopt two of them. Fingers crossed that she does decide to follow through.My approach to adoptions is a little different to others. When people arrive we sit on a blanket on he floor and see how the kittens go with them. In all cases, a different kitten from the one they are interested in has chosen them and they have left with the one that has picked them. The best result.

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 15
  • Agree 3