The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Does anyone on here use an automatic cat feeder?  Can you recommend it?  Ideally I want to put wet food and/or dry food in it.

I, it seems, am the automatic cat feeder!  I seem to work quite well since the cats keep coming back but I am guessing that is not quite what you had in mind.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Does anyone on here use an automatic cat feeder?  Can you recommend it?  Ideally I want to put wet food and/or dry food in it.

We have a Cat Mate C20: https://www.petplanet.co.uk/p1373/catmate_c20_2_meal_automatic_pet_feeder_201.aspx - now discontinued but I expect similar are available. It does two meals, on a timer, so is good for a night away (us, not the cat). The only snag is that although there is a space for a cold block on each side, only one is supplied. We have used it for the wet food, leaving a saucer of dry biscuit for snacking.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

We have a Cat Mate C20: https://www.petplanet.co.uk/p1373/catmate_c20_2_meal_automatic_pet_feeder_201.aspx - now discontinued but I expect similar are available. It does two meals, on a timer, so is good for a night away (us, not the cat). The only snag is that although there is a space for a cold block on each side, only one is supplied. We have used it for the wet food, leaving a saucer of dry biscuit for snacking.

My neighbor had one of those for her two cats.  Only trouble with it was that the timers were not very precise so could not be set for both sides to open exactly at the same time, so one greedy cat managed to scoff both dinners!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

My neighbor had one of those for her two cats.  Only trouble with it was that the timers were not very precise so could not be set for both sides to open exactly at the same time, so one greedy cat managed to scoff both dinners!

But that happens with two cats anyway.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

But that happens with two cats anyway.

We have 'surefeed' microchip bowls for ours, so that each cat can only get their own food. They're particularly valuable when one of them needs prescription food...

Good customer service too, one broke after about 2 years and they replaced it straight away, no quibbles, and the replacement arrived next day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

We had two Cat Mate feeders for a short while but one cate liked to graze whilst the other hoovered up anything that was available - so that didn't work at all!

Before you buy, be sure to look at various YouTube clips showing clever cats beating the machines!

E.g.:

or:

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

41 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Fortunately our cat is pretty stupid. She still hasn't worked out the cat flap.

We don't think currently have cat flap but when we did we found that it was necessary to train the cats in their use.  First step is to make sure the cat can always see outside and take it from there.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, PenrithBeacon said:

We don't think currently have cat flap but when we did we found that it was necessary to train the cats in their use.  First step is to make sure the cat can always see outside and take it from there.

Done that. We're at the propping the flap open stage - she's going in and out OK, though she makes it clear that this is a diminution of service on our part. I have tried removing the prop after she's gone out but another member of the household gives in to her pitiful miaows to be let back in. Her attitude seems to be that if the Queen has doors opened for her, then of course the cat should too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Craigw said:

Well, Annabella arrived and we had none of the problems that her adopters had reported.

Undoubtedly the problems were with them, not her. It's becoming a serious problem here, people took on pets during the lockdown without thinking about what would happen when they went back to the office...

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Done that. We're at the propping the flap open stage - she's going in and out OK, though she makes it clear that this is a diminution of service on our part. I have tried removing the prop after she's gone out but another member of the household gives in to her pitiful miaows to be let back in. Her attitude seems to be that if the Queen has doors opened for her, then of course the cat should too.

Our Bonnie is like that - she knows full well how to use the catflap, just chooses not to when she can get her servants to open the door for her!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Not stupid, as earlier reported, then

• Agree 1

My Wife’s cousin has rescued a kitten that can only be a few weeks old. It was in a black sack and just about to be thrown into a dumpster on the local trading estate. She is now bottle feeding it. But what is wrong with people. A quick Internet search will find a local rescue shelter or the local vet. There is no excuse for that kind of treatment. 

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Felt sad yesterday in Warrington bank quay, there was a dead cat in the 4ft on the rear platform, obviously hit by a train wheel as he was in a bad way, I’m pretty sure it was the station cat, I’ve seen one similar there a few times in the past jumping up onto the platform and there aren’t exactly many houses near there for it to come from 

Unfortunately I only spotted it just before my train pulled in or I’d have rung the box and got a line block to get down and retrieve him to at least see if he was chipped so the owner could be contacted, I’m hoping avanti sorted something as as well as anything else it wasn’t a pleasant sight for the public to see from the platform 

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

Ref earlier discussion about automatic feeders, I got this one:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088G2466Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very easy to use and (on the basis of 2 nights use) it's doing what I hoped it would.  However big sister isn't quite behaving as I hoped she would.......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, didcot said:

My Wife’s cousin has rescued a kitten that can only be a few weeks old. It was in a black sack and just about to be thrown into a dumpster on the local trading estate. She is now bottle feeding it. But what is wrong with people. A quick Internet search will find a local rescue shelter or the local vet. There is no excuse for that kind of treatment. 

Wtf is the thinking behind a plan to dispose of a living creature in such a dismissive way, as opposed to finding a humane way to seek out safe harbour. That would be easier?

It confounds me that folks can get fast-food delivered but can't be arsed to LITERALLY DO THE DECENT THING!

Jeez! C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Some people are just plain evil, one of our last fosters, Nicola, was found in a box under a car in a Nantwich car park, luckily the driver spotted it and checked the box before getting in the car 

she was touch and go but is now thriving 

in nicer news we should be getting ‘Jamie’ at the end of the week, the mainecoon cross I put a photo up a couple of weeks ago 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6