The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hobby said:

We don't... We recently tried introducing Oreo to Snowy (Oreo is 12 weeks, Snowy is nearly 15 yrs), with a view to looking after Oreo for a couple of days, Oreo couldn't give a toss, more interested in looking around but Snowy went mental, fluffy tail, hissing, the lot, and then ran outside! Perhaps if they are introduced when they are young it might work but cats are solitary creatures so I don't think it's right to suddenly lumber an old cat with a young one... I know we did do a long while ago we did get a young cat whilst we still had the older one, the old one didn't last long, just faded away, we've not felt right about it every since...

I know it's a personal view, but other than this try which was simply to cover holidays, we've decided it's not in the best interests of the elder cat.

I can understand that with a solitary cat suddenly having another foisted on it.  In our case however our cats are anything but solitary - even if a few of them tend to go off on their own for much of the day and return for food and where they want caressing.  

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

We don't... We recently tried introducing Oreo to Snowy (Oreo is 12 weeks, Snowy is nearly 15 yrs), with a view to looking after Oreo for a couple of days, Oreo couldn't give a toss, more interested in looking around but Snowy went mental, fluffy tail, hissing, the lot, and then ran outside! Perhaps if they are introduced when they are young it might work but cats are solitary creatures so I don't think it's right to suddenly lumber an old cat with a young one... I know we did do a long while ago we did get a young cat whilst we still had the older one, the old one didn't last long, just faded away, we've not felt right about it every since...

I know it's a personal view, but other than this try which was simply to cover holidays, we've decided it's not in the best interests of the elder cat.

They're all very different in personality though....the old one here ( 12 ish)  has adopted every youngster that's joined the gang, he loves it, he thoroughly enjoys being a "cat dad" he even carried them around in his mouth like a mother cat !

What he'd think of another adult cat I couldn't say as all the "new boys" have been rescued kittens.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yes we have a drinking fountain as well. I has a charcoal filter, so hopefully take the chemical smell away. We have also put bowls outside. We have a water softener as well. I very rarely see Pepper drink, so when I give her her meds I mix it with tuna and a spoonful of water. I make sure the tuna is in oil rather than brine.

Meerkats very rarely drink water, absorbing it from their food.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My wife thinks I am spoiling our cat because I took the spring water from a tuna can, diluted it slightly and made him ice lollies….he isn’t interested in them as ice but loves the cold water as they melt…

Edited by Jonboy
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I was left at home with the dog when my parents and sister went to a cat rescue home (on the Isle of Dogs!).

Both animals got loose.  Harvey walked through the kitchen door, straight to the dog's bowl.  Toddy bounced into the kitchen, straight to the cat, pinned him down and licked him from head to toe.  They were best mates for the next fifteen odd years.

Getting them to drink was easy.  Make them a nice hot cup of tea. 

Bill

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, didcot said:

Yes we have a drinking fountain as well. I has a charcoal filter, so hopefully take the chemical smell away. We have also put bowls outside. We have a water softener as well. I very rarely see Pepper drink, so when I give her her meds I mix it with tuna and a spoonful of water. I make sure the tuna is in oil rather than brine.

Meerkats very rarely drink water, absorbing it from their food.

Cats were designed for dry arid conditions originally, as I understand it... hence take most liquid from their food, ie flesh of whatever prey they can catch.

I think this is why you see so many health problems with modern day cats on a totally dried food diet.

The ones here get a fair bit of raw meat, so hopefully have some element of 'nature' in their nosh !

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

Cats were designed for dry arid conditions originally, as I understand it... hence take most liquid from their food, ie flesh of whatever prey they can catch.

I think this is why you see so many health problems with modern day cats on a totally dried food diet.

The ones here get a fair bit of raw meat, so hopefully have some element of 'nature' in their nosh !

Undoubtedly there is something in what you say wrt domesticated felines, but you'd think they know to drink when thirsty!

There was a quite alarming documentary about pet food on RT, which I admittedly didn't watch as it seemed to mostly concern dogs, but rightly or wrong I've been of the opinion that a cat unhappy with its lot will find its own way. That's obviously a misnomer because there are many cats that become overweight or suffer other diet related complications.

Mia often concerns me because she seems at face value to live on biscuits and just the gravy of her moist food, rarely drinking water from the bowl. However the vet tells me that she is in fine health so I have to conclude she's getting all the nourishment she needs, somehow.

C6T. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

My Sandy hated all other cats but when a kitten needed rescuing I brought the kitten into our house and put it down in the hallway. Sandy marched up, looked at me as I stroked the kitten and then looked at the kitten again. I stroked Sandy who started to purr as he gave the kitten a head to tail wash. They spent the next four years as constant companions although I think Sandy could have done without Tinker thinking that Sandy's tail was a toy to be chased! 

Edited by Chris116
Auto corrupt!
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Undoubtedly there is something in what you say wrt domesticated felines, but you'd think they know to drink when thirsty!

There was a quite alarming documentary about pet food on RT, which I admittedly didn't watch as it seemed to mostly concern dogs, but rightly or wrong I've been of the opinion that a cat unhappy with its lot will find its own way. That's obviously a misnomer because there are many cats that become overweight or suffer other diet related complications.

Mia often concerns me because she seems at face value to live on biscuits and just the gravy of her moist food, rarely drinking water from the bowl. However the vet tells me that she is in fine health so I have to conclude she's getting all the nourishment she needs, somehow.

C6T. 

If your cat goes outside s/he may be getting water from other sources.   Our will often drink from puddles, from watering cans under the rain water butts rather then drink tap water - and ours is only mildly treated coming from natural springs above the village.  

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

If your cat goes outside s/he may be getting water from other sources.   Our will often drink from puddles, from watering cans under the rain water butts rather then drink tap water - and ours is only mildly treated coming from natural springs above the village.  

Totally Andy, Mia sups regularly from awful pools of aqua outside, I know that, what I was getting at was her known chowing at the sustenance put out for her. For whatever reason Mia drinks from dirty puddles or Dad's bedside sup-cup, rarely the bowl put there for her.

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Cat in the box.  She is a good kit, she will avoid the box when it is populated with the little people, she monitors my expressions, like a dog.

Lizzy is also a great drinker.  We have a couple of large dogs and multiple large bottle fed watering "holes".  She not only drinks, but dips her paws into the water to bathe.  Maybe it is the dog influence, but this feral rescue kitten drinks plenty...

Lizzy 130735743_4118085888208477_6594427814083836211_n.jpg

• Like 18

18 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

Wispa looking down her nose at me....

IMG_E3788.JPG

11 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Christopher Lee, in cat form! 

More like Christopher Robin ...

Hush, hush!

Whisper who dares,

Little boy sits at the foot of the stairs,

Blood on the carpet, fur on the mat .....

Sorry about the map post.

Oliver rocks up at 1145 outside the workshop door. I notice that Teaser hasn't touched her breakfast ( too many dreamies and mice) so I put it down before him. He sniffs and hisses and sits back down. I go and open a fresh pouch which he devours with relish. Then he clears the first plate, has a long drink from the pond and settles down for a snooze.

• Like 4
  • Funny 4