The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

We bought a new litter box today.  Previous one seemed to be getting puddles outside it -- lid fits on outside the base. New one does same but the base is a lot higher. We'll see.

Long contemplation over litter selection. SWMBO likes the lite stuff but we've noticed that it doesn't always fall off the cat.

To make it worse, we moved the box from the main floor laundry to the basement.

More reports in the fullness of time.

This one was recommended and its really good. Its wood chips and can be flushed down the loo. The wee goes into clumps like snowballs and can be scooped up.

IMG_20210720_094840539.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

We bought a new litter box today.  Previous one seemed to be getting puddles outside it -- lid fits on outside the base. New one does same but the base is a lot higher. We'll see.

Long contemplation over litter selection. SWMBO likes the lite stuff but we've noticed that it doesn't always fall off the cat

Our cats would do some sort of weird stance with 3 of their legs on the edge of the tray, which would then be catapulted over when they jumped off. So we put the tray inside another. I thinks it's a 25 litre storage container. Problem solved. Infact we now just use that. The sides are probably 9 inches deep and the cats just sit there now, rather than performing acrobatics. We always use the wood pellets preferring that to gravel type stuff that sets like concrete. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Depending on whether I'm in Morrisons or Tescos, I get ecograin from Tesco or smart litter from M's.  Both are like little twiglets, and the pee goes into clumps/sawdust.  The worst ever for me was Catsan where the tiny little white grain got everywhere my 2 cats went in the house.  With the litter I use now, a little gets taken outside the trays but generally not more very far.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/300842506

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/smart-litter-wood-pellet-litter-503111011

4 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

its woodchips and can be flushed down the loo. 

Hmm, probably not a good idea to do that. Being wood it will swell up, and as the label says it is clumping, so could easily cause blockages.

Best to only flush toilet waste (pee and poo) and toilet paper. Never put tissues (they have wet strength and do not break up), wet wipes, disposable nappies, sanitary pads, or anything else down the loo.

• Agree 5

A while back I wrote about our stay in a rented flat on a farm that had eighteen cats, including eight kittens. Well, the kittens all went to new homes leaving ten farm cats to patrol all the outbuildings for mice. Two cats adopted us and became very friendly, Fluffy and Ginger, who liked nothing better than curling up on a lap for a sleep. Came the day when we found a new home to buy and started making plans to move out. Ginger knew. We were not aware that our behavior changed and as most of our belongings were in storage there was little packing being done, but Ginger knew. He and Fluffy kept coming to us for food, Fluffy being her old self for naps by the radiator and so forth. Ginger would eat his food then walk out. When we came across him sunning himself outside and called to him he would pointedly turn his back and have nothing to do with us. Came the moving out day we packed our things in the cars and were ready for off; Ginger trotted across the yard and stretched up my leg for a final stroke and tickle under his chin, which he was very fond off. How strange was that? 

We have no idea in what way we changed; but Ginger knew.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grahame said:

Hmm, probably not a good idea to do that. Being wood it will swell up, and as the label says it is clumping, so could easily cause blockages.

Especially if you have a septic tank!

1 hour ago, grahame said:

Best to only flush toilet waste (pee and poo) and toilet paper. Never put tissues (they have wet strength and do not break up), wet wipes, disposable nappies, sanitary pads, or anything else down the loo.

Never had any issues it separates in the pan.

8 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Never had any issues 

That's the problem, it rarely effects the perpetrator. It's other people along the sewer who end up with blockages that need cleaning out. I've recently had to call out the water board because of things other residents in the street have flushed down the loo that have caused a sewer collection chamber, that my downstairs toilet flows in to, to back up and overflow.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

IMG_20210720_094840539.jpg

I used this stuff for years. It’s compressed wood flour and I flushed it without any problems, unlike some other products I had tried. Current cat prefers a trip to the woods at the back of our house so no need for a tray now. Just don’t go for a walk in the woods !

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

36 minutes ago, grahame said:

That's the problem, it rarely effects the perpetrator. It's other people along the sewer who end up with blockages that need cleaning out. I've recently had to call out the water board because of things other residents in the street have flushed down the loo that have caused a sewer collection chamber, that my downstairs toilet flows in to, to back up and overflow.

I checked under the manhole cover and all is fine.

3 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

I checked under the manhole cover and all is fine.

It probably won't be your manhole cover, it'll be someone else's further down the street/sewer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Returning to litter trays.  The larger of my 2 cats seems to be a cross between a dog and a JCB when it comes to covering her business, therefore I have a couple of trays like car drip mats that I place the litter trays on.  Most overspill is caught on the tray which is easy to lift up and tip back into the litter tray.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042HP45I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

No, we feed straight into the main sewer.

Main sewers can get blocked. Have some consideration for those that may suffer as a result of your actions. Quite simply it is not advisable to flush cat litter and/or cat poo down the toilet:

https://bargainbathroom.com/can-you-flush-cat-litter-down-the-toilet/

https://www.superterry.com/can-cat-litter-flushed-toilet/#:~:text=Flushing cat litter down the toilet%2C even if,kitty litter down the toilet in ANY circumstance.

https://www.petmoneysaver.co.uk/blog/flush-cat-poo-litter-down-toilet/

https://litter-boxes.com/flush-cat-litter/

https://incrediblekitty.com/can-you-flush-cat-litter/

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Well cat poo is smaller than human poo and the wood based litter does break down to dust so I don’t see the problem. Also no tissues and definitely no wet wipes to worry about. 

I did once flush newspaper based litter, that was a problem and caused an expensive blockage, hence the change to the wood flour stuff. 

23 minutes ago, grahame said:

No problems here my friend and we will continue to do it.

10 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Came the day when we found a new home to buy and started making plans to move out. Ginger knew. We were not aware that our behavior changed and as most of our belongings were in storage there was little packing being done, but Ginger knew.

Could have been something you said, Ginger had heard the same sound from other humans just before they vanished.

• Like 2