The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

On 03/07/2021 at 21:37, Trog said:

Have just had a baby Blackbird removed from its nest in my log store and killed by a cat presumably belonging to one of my neighbours. Why people are allowed to just let such vicious and destructive vermin roam free is beyond me. 

Daughter is walking her extremely nice well behaved dog, a Shiba Inu when she spots three large black cats dozing in the hedge bottom. Dog walking on the kerb side, carries on totally ignoring the felines when a small tabby leaps out and rips a chunk out of his nose. Dog is too shocked by a face full of blood to respond. Tiny tabby is driven off by a swinging size 4 and the dozy threesome don't bat an eyelid because it probably happens all the time. An alternative return route was selected and fortunately the nose didn't need a trip to the vet.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Over the years we have been involved with around twenty cats. Only four have been hunters. The first, Sphinx, confined her activities to the annual harvest time when, for three or four days, we would come down each morning to find a dozen or so field mice neatly lined up on the kitchen hearth. This continued for five years until we moved house. Guinness was a prolific hunter until, aged two, she grew out of it. Her party piece was to bring live presents to my wife whilst she was in the bath. Blackbirds, sparrows, rats, the bigger the better. Her fur made her look much fatter than she really was and she was lighting quick over five metres. She was an essential part of Darwin's selection of the fittest, eliminating the most stupid of birds and rodents. Misto was only a generation removed from farm cat. He would happily spend several hours in the long grass in all weather's waiting for the mouse to come out. We usually had to deal with three or four each day and I fabricated a box to catch them in. When Teaser arrived he took her under his wing and they worked as a pair laying about three metres apart on what they had identified as a rodent super highway. Sadly we lost him to an aggressive tumour but Teaser had learned. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Very true. Here is a picture of next doors cat.

Stampy.jpg

At least he's wearing a hi-vis fur jacket when he goes lineside.  I hope he's reported that rockfall that's blocking the line.

One of our previous cats was nicknamed Obstruction Danger because he wore Six Bells to warn our feathered friends.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

We don't have many songbirds around, the lack of insects due to insecticides not to mention jays and magpies, has seen to that. Toto does bring in the occasional rat and, rarely, a mouse but, although he seems to enjoy hunting, it's a rare pleasure for him.

Personally I regret the disappearance of song birds, they kept slugs and snails down, but while we were without a cat the population of rats rocketed which was truly nasty.

The way to encourage songbirds is to discourage the use of insecticides although, in truth, a cat flea specific insecticide would be a great help too.

On 04/07/2021 at 20:13, Butler Henderson said:

Their is a line of thought that cats should be not be neutered immediately and allowed a litter, that way they will evolve over time and the need to hunt diminished.

I don't think that would work.  My MaineCoons, Badger and Tilly, came from a long line of cats who, being kept for breeding, never had to hunt for anything.  I doubt if their parents, grandparents great grandparents, great great grandparent etc ever saw a mouse or rat and they certainly weren't bread for vermin control.  However Badger and Tilly reverted to the ways of their remote ancestors in Maine the moment they got the chance. They celebrated New Year 2011 by dumping a dead rat on my doorstep when they were 9 months old!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

I suspect that hunting may well be hard wired in their DNA. 

One or two of ours hunt occasionally,  but on the whole don't bring things in the house.

Cookie our male ginger cat was sat in the garden watching the Red Kites when one swooped down dambusters style and picked up a bit of bread left out by the wife. He got already to pounce, but thought better of it when he saw the size of the thing!

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Our cat, inherited from my parents and now eight years old, was a rescue cat - we believe she had been maltreated as a kitten. She's very nervous and appears to have no hunting instinct at all - the other day she sat on the back door step idly watching a jackdaw hopping around right under her nose. The jackdaw seemed to have no sense of peril either. I suspect she was separated from her mother at a very early age, before she's been taught to hunt or had any play-hunting with her siblings.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 06/07/2021 at 07:11, Sidecar Racer said:

Thats the starter unit .

Next stage is this .

620487200_catlady.png.c63e08a678602791b7f4a162f60912ee.png

Hmmm, that proves that one can herd cats! :jester: I also wonder just how long it took to set that photo up. ;)

• Like 1

Oliver ( please can I have some more). We haven't seen him for a couple of days but he is looking unusually smart. I am beginning to think that hie might have another human who works silly shifts or even works away leaving him an open cat flap and a bowl of dry biscuits. Not a great photo but he likes at least a full metre of personal space.

IMG_20210707_194846.jpg

• Like 8

Some archive pictures of old Misty.

This is him indulging in his favorite occupation of scoffing Honeys dinner:

1034325095_MistybMay99.jpg.27902c51cd4e7ef0afaf773678b932d7.jpg

This is him indulging his second favorite occupation:

627533062_MistyaMay99.jpg.990770bc6516f84fc11c0885d8dc5920.jpg

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photos
  • Like 19