The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Premium

Re: Kittens,

A bout 25 years ago, we had a litter of 8 kittens from one of our cats.

At 4 weeks old, I had a visit from our local Beat Bobby (Remember them?). as I was a witness to an incident.

He phoned me up to arrange a time to come and talk to me. I asked if he was driving, walking or cycling down, as whatever mode of transport he used, he should bring his Cycle clips as we had a litter of kittens.

Said PC arrived, sans clips, sat drinking tea, eating biscuits and asking the odd question while the kittens amused him by playing around his size 13s.

All of a sudden, there was a sharp intake of breath, his eyes stood out and he turned pale as sweat appeared on his brow.

"Are you OK?" says I

A shake of the head, a gulp and whimper and  a gesture towards a moving lump half way up his hairy shin!

One of the kittens got bored of his bootlaces and shot up his trouser leg.

"What should I do?" he asked.

"Just sit tight, grin & bear it,  it will drop out in a few seconds" says I.

Sure enough, a few seconds later, said kitten fell out of his trouser leg.

I did tell him beforehand, and had offered my own cycle clips, which he turned down. I offered them again, this time they were accepted, and we continued the conversation in comfort.

Its not often that a small ball of fluff can reduce one of Britain's Finest Boys in Blue to tears and immobility.

I am told that his injured leg was pulled mercilessly by the rest of Leicestershires finest.

Regards

Ian

Edited by Ian Smeeton
Sp
  • Like 3
  • Funny 16

3 hours ago, big jim said:

It’s not until you get Nicola out of the cage and put her next to Hank who is a tear old and still a kitten himself you realise how little she is, loving Hanks bemused ‘what the hell is this’ face in the 2nd pic but he’s really gentle with her, she’s the one who was slapping him!

001(859).JPG

001(4).PNG

Jim - that is one gorgeous kitten.  Great to see her thriving under your's and your wife's care.  

• Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This morning Oliver turns up at the back door demanding breakfast. My wife opened a pouch of one leading brand onto a clean plate and set it before him. He sniffed and licked before shaking his head and settling down on the steps. I took out a plate with a another leading brand which was quickly devoured.

Many thanks for all the appreciation following the passing of Guinness. It seems strange not having to clean up from her favourite toilet spot behind the front door and putting double milk on my cornflakes to share.

• Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, steve1 said:

A definition of relief.

Tuesday morning Olly went out. Didn’t come home Tuesday. Ditto Wednesday. Ditto Thursday. Half an hour ago she is at back door, Totally unharmed but starving.

steve

Glad she turned up Steve. They're little bu99ers for getting trapped in a neighbour's shed or getting disoriented after a run-in with another cat. We never saw Jette again but I share your relief Olly made it back home.

C6T. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Glad she turned up Steve. They're little bu99ers for getting trapped in a neighbour's shed or getting disoriented after a run-in with another cat. We never saw Jette again but I share your relief Olly made it back home.

C6T. 

I kept getting notifications on my ring app yesterday but ignored them as it’s normally motion at the front door but I suddenly got one saying motion detected in the garage which is my layout room, switched the camera on and there was Hank trapped in there desperately trying to get out by grabbing up at the door handle (it was locked anyway), a quick call home soon had him freed after about 4 hours!

when I looked back at the video, Dominic had gone in there to get a lead for the Xbox and while he was looking in the cupboard Hank snuck behind him out of his view and gone behind the sofa in there, Dom then got the lead and turned and left the room locking the door behind him not knowing Hank was in there! 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

7 minutes ago, big jim said:

I kept getting notifications on my ring app yesterday but ignored them as it’s normally motion at the front door but I suddenly got one saying motion detected in the garage which is my layout room, switched the camera on and there was Hank trapped in there desperately trying to get out by grabbing up at the door handle (it was locked anyway), a quick call home soon had him freed after about 4 hours!

when I looked back at the video, Dominic had gone in there to get a lead for the Xbox and while he was looking in the cupboard Hank snuck behind him out of his view and gone behind the sofa in there, Dom then got the lead and turned and left the room locking the door behind him not knowing Hank was in there! 

Whenever we got a new kitten, and this included Rox, Mia and Jette, I said to Dad "You must ALWAYS be aware of where they are. They'll follow you and you won't even know it". 

Dad shut all three kittens individually in the pantry at one time I think. No harm done, but Jette's nickname when she was tiny was "Squeak", her miow was so quiet. "I dunno where the kitten is." Says Dad. I open the pantry door..."Squeak!"

C6T. 

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

We lost Gizmo for a while yesterday but he turned out to be shut in a bedroom.  He has a loud mew but usually doesn't choose to employ it in these situations.  As the rest of the household has no sense of smell due to current/recent Covid, I had to go and sniff everything in the room to check for little accidents.  

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

When our all grey female was a kitten, she disappeared one afternoon.  No sign at bed time.  No sign at breakfast and then after breakfast I went to the kitchen drawer that held the tea towels and there she was happily asleep on top of the tea towels - had been there about 18 hours and not made a peep.

• Like 8
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago, I accidently trapped one of my Mum's neighbour's cats in her garage when I closed the door one evening. What saved the day was the neighbour's other cat looking at me oddly with the "what have you just done?" body language then looking back at the garage door. I immediately understood what she was telling me so I opened the door again and the cat bolted out!

• Like 8
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Phil-Essex said:

Lexi likes to take a stroll over the viaduct :D she also tries to walk across the top of all the stock in the fiddleyard :nono: 6B18BA67-4B5D-41C5-8FB6-5E014389CD85.jpeg.2a757d8ef3997549faf9e34e52ef907a.jpeg

G scale cat on a Z scale bridge? :jester:

• Funny 4

Tilly went for her annual booster and check up on Wednesday.  I thought she was getting fat as carrying her into the vets in her basket it felt like she weighed twice as much as last year.  But she weighed just the same as last year and the year before - I must just be getting old and weak!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

Have just had a baby Blackbird removed from its nest in my log store and killed by a cat presumably belonging to one of my neighbours. Why people are allowed to just let such vicious and destructive vermin roam free is beyond me. 

• Friendly/supportive 1