The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I was told if a black cat crosses your path it's lucky.

“If a black cat crosses your path, it signifies that the animal is going somewhere.”

― Groucho Marx

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Markwj said:

Incidentally I was told black cats don’t rehome that well as they are not photogenic people don’t want them but this thread is well populated with them so somebody (including me) likes them!

I can attest to the difficulty of photography.  This was our girl from the mid 80's to 1991.  A long haired black with the loudest purr of any cat I've ever known, I was putty in her hands.  VERY difficult to get any detail in a photo.  She started life a few doors along from us but when they started having babies decided that wasn't for her!  She used to love me going on business trips so she could help with the packing.

rev Cosy mid-80's.jpg

• Like 16
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Did someone say black cats?

This is my first cat Sally when a young lady.

1921821338_Sally6.jpg.538cdf34035a2edef0978bb2a7a43baa.jpg

This is her in playful mode showing the white streak on her tummy:

186220453_Sally5.jpg.c46cc10daf70588eb690a660ae8894db.jpg

This her as an old lady when all her whiskers had turned white and her fur had become a bit lighter in tone:

1663897253_Sally7.jpg.1e25f869961152c920a259b888130e30.jpg

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photos
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yeh, cat bum in face, got that t-shirt. The one-eyed cat Dad calls it.

To be fair to the moggies though, they are technically "naked", and there's worse mammalian nether regions that you could be, ahem, faced with. 

C6T. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Yeh, cat bum in face, got that t-shirt. The one-eyed cat Dad calls it.

To be fair to the moggies though, they are technically "naked", and there's worse mammalian nether regions that you could be, ahem, faced with. 

C6T. 

Both of mine, being semi-longhairs, render the 'underframe detail' less conspicuous!

IMG_2796.JPG

• Like 14
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Markwj said:

She isn’t drinking out of her bowl so left a glass out for her!

2324047F-02EF-4C61-8103-45AC060D1D57.jpeg

She has been to the vet this morning -weight loss and can’t wee- antibiotic injection and bloods done ?hypo or hyper thyroid -not sure Julie went in with her! Bald spot on the other side of her neck where bloods were taken!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

6 hours ago, Markwj said:

She isn’t drinking out of her bowl so left a glass out for her!

2324047F-02EF-4C61-8103-45AC060D1D57.jpeg

Our Cats often do the same, they love drinking out of large glasses, I often find them drinking out of my water glass when I nip to the loo while I am working, Knowing how bad cats are for drinking enough I never stop them 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Markwj said:

She has been to the vet this morning -weight loss and can’t wee- antibiotic injection and bloods done ?hypo or hyper thyroid -not sure Julie went in with her! Bald spot on the other side of her neck where bloods were taken!

Fortunately there are quite a few treatments for hyperthyroid these days.  The radioactive treatment  seem to be quite successful although you end up with a radioactive cat for awhile.  Certainly better and far less stressful than the pilling I had to do with Honey 11 years ago!  

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
Just now, eastglosmog said:

Fortunately there are quite a few treatments for hyperthyroid these days.  The radioactive treatment  seem to be quite successful although you end up with a radioactive cat for awhile.  Certainly better and far less stressful than the pilling I had to do with Honey 11 years ago!  

She will be easy to find if she glows in the dark. Thank you we will see what the bloods show.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

So does a radioactive cat have nine half-lives?

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 37114 said:

Our Cats often do the same, they love drinking out of large glasses, I often find them drinking out of my water glass when I nip to the loo while I am working, Knowing how bad cats are for drinking enough I never stop them 

I found moving the water bowl well away from the food solves the issue

Madam dines in one area and refreshes the opposite side of the room

Nick B

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

We bought our cats a cat mate drinking fountain. It pumps water down a cascade and back up through a charcoal filter. It's higher that a water bowl, which helps, but the constant flow of water makes it cooler. I also read Cats are attracted to running water. They were a bit wary at first, but all use it now.

Edited by didcot
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

One of my cats, Jinxy, didn't like a water bowl but soon worked out how to turn the bathroom sink cold tap on enough to have a drink. We had to be careful to never leave the plug where it could slip and leave us with a flood as the clever cat never bothered to turn the water off after his drink! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Harvey (c1967 - 1987) was partial to a Nice Hot Cup of Tea.  He had two a day at home, but would also visit several neighbours every day.  He worked out when each household had their "elevenses" and would drink a saucer of very weak tea.  He got his tea, they got the company of a very large, very friendly tabby cat.  Bill

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, didcot said:

We bought our cats a cat mate drinking fountain. It pumps water down a cascade and back up through a charcoal filter. It's higher that a water bowl, which helps, but the constant flow of water makes it cooler. I also read Cats are attracted to running water. They were a bit wary at first, but all use it now.

We bought one of those, and also have several water bowls around the house - yet Clyde still often preferred to drink rainwater from a plant pot in the garden...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Nick C said:

We bought one of those, and also have several water bowls around the house - yet Clyde still often preferred to drink rainwater from a plant pot in the garden...

Bowl of water - will often turn her nose up at it unless it's very fresh. Muddy puddle, stagnant pond? Fine!

My cat's got the habit of dragging the water bowl across the floor (often spilling a fair amount in the process). I'd never seen a cat do that before but apparently some do, apparently it helps them judge where the surface is because their close-up vision isn't great.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1