The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

On 06/04/2021 at 21:36, Porkscratching said:

Any of ours would have a good bite at you if you started fiddling with their feet..!

Pisicuta is quite content for me to stroke the pads of his feet.  He also likes to lie on his back one sofa with his feet in the air like a dead bluebottle. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I was trying to do a bit of modelling last night, but at the dining table as my shed isn't finished yet. Our Bonnie decided it was time for me to sit on the sofa so she could sit on my lap - it's amazing just how much a cat can communicate with just a stare and a few mrrps...

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Pisicuta is quite content for me to stroke the pads of his feet.  He also likes to lie on his back one sofa with his feet in the air like a dead bluebottle. 

Most cats I've known seem to hate having their feet interfered with especially the hind ones..

The rolling over on the back is usually a trap to entice you to stroke the belly, then grab with claws and a good nip !

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

Most cats I've known seem to hate having their feet interfered with especially the hind ones..

The rolling over on the back is usually a trap to entice you to stroke the belly, then grab with claws and a good nip !

The back rolling is actually an indication of trust from the cat, through exposure of their most vulnerable body area.

I've found even with cats I know well to exercise extreme caution, a tickle behind an ear primarily before moving down the sides. Unfortunately human nature leads us to think we should go straight for the tummy! I don't know if we think this way because of how we're brought up with how dogs behave, tummy showing being an active invitation for a fuss in the canine mindset. 

Mia has never deliberately bit or scratched me, but then again I've not put myself in a position that she's felt the need to defend herself beyond minimal boisterous play. 

Whether feline underside showing is actually an invitation for mutual grooming or play and moggie's inherent reflex to defend themselves then kicks in I couldn't say, but I think you need to be able to read the individual cat's mood extremely well in addition to them having trust in you not to "muck them about" at every opportunity.

C6T. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Observations carried out on Tigger over 14 years suggest that sleeping on his back is mainly due to warmer temperatures, and this posture is cooler.  He goes from sleeping curled up, through a curved posture on his side with legs outstretched in front, to a straight posture on his side with legs fore and aft, to lying on his back with legs in the air.  This is not an invitation to stroke his tum.  If he wakes up and maintains the position he might tolerate a gentle stroke but will rapidly roll over.

PICT0530.jpg

Edited by petethemole
added picture
  • Like 10

45 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

The back rolling is actually an indication of trust from the cat, through exposure of their most vulnerable body area.

I've found even with cats I know well to exercise extreme caution, a tickle behind an ear primarily before moving down the sides. Unfortunately human nature leads us to think we should go straight for the tummy! I don't know if we think this way because of how we're brought up with how dogs behave, tummy showing being an active invitation for a fuss in the canine mindset. 

Mia has never deliberately bit or scratched me, but then again I've not put myself in a position that she's felt the need to defend herself beyond minimal boisterous play. 

Whether feline underside showing is actually an invitation for mutual grooming or play and moggie's inherent reflex to defend themselves then kicks in I couldn't say, but I think you need to be able to read the individual cat's mood extremely well in addition to them having trust in you not to "muck them about" at every opportunity.

C6T. 

Certainly they're body language is very different to dogs !

I wouldn't muck them about gratuitously of course!.. tho I'm fairly sure our small white one ( ex feral) rolls provocatively on purpose to draw you in as he definitely enjoys having a nip, he's what you'd call a mischievous cat.

The most laid back of them is the big tabby, often referred to as "Bagpuss"...they've all got very different personalities for sure.

• Like 3