The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

1 hour ago, Porkscratching said:

Easy, sit there looking at you.. then bash it with a paw.

There's an old piano here that's main purpose is to have stuff on top dashed to the floor...

We've got one that plays the piano ... all the right notes, not necessarily in the right order.

He usually practices at about 3 am

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Do they then do the same as one of ours does, and run away in a panic thinking the item they've just knocked off is attacking them?

No, either just sit there with a "Who, me?" expression on their faces, or attack it!

• Like 1

On 12/03/2021 at 16:40, Michael Hodgson said:

We've got one that plays the piano ... all the right notes, not necessarily in the right order.

One of these tried that, and terrified himself...he was expecting the keyboard lid to be shut as usual...

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

My bedroom is so full of stuff at the moment (decorating another room, so it's all piled up in there) that when the cat darts in just before I go to bed it's impossible to get her out again - too many places to hide out of my way. So I gave up and went to sleep, only just as I was nodding off I got woken up when the cat somehow managed to turn the radio on.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

16 minutes ago, Reorte said:

So I gave up and went to sleep, only just as I was nodding off I got woken up when the cat somehow managed to turn the radio on.

Our previous cat didn't like travelling by car.  Number ones in the first village we reached, number twos in the second and puke in the third.  The only way to get him to settle down was by putting his favourite radio station on - Classic FM.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Reorte said:

My bedroom is so full of stuff at the moment (decorating another room, so it's all piled up in there) that when the cat darts in just before I go to bed it's impossible to get her out again - too many places to hide out of my way. So I gave up and went to sleep, only just as I was nodding off I got woken up when the cat somehow managed to turn the radio on.

Shaking a bag of treats usually works for ours when they get somewhere we don't want them...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Shaking a bag of treats usually works for ours when they get somewhere we don't want them...

Mine has an aversion to jangling keys - presumably dating from something that happened before she ended up at the Blue Cross centre.  Always does the trick though!

• Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, Nick C said:

That often works for some things with our two delinquents, but if either of them gets into the train room, they just ignore the treats.

Changing tack a bit, I managed to get a rare shot of Sykes showing his colours. A tri-coloured male is fairly unusual.

IMG20210314142651.jpg.c5696db4009fde0e284c58f16928660a.jpg

A couple of weeks ago we had a rather hot spell, so the last thing one needs is a hot, fluffy cat cuddling up to one. Hattie shows that she knows how to relax. (Yes, that's me wearing shorts!).

IMG20210216163111.jpg.122c07699d87590582dda729a5a93a10.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, SRman said:

That often works for some things with our two delinquents, but if either of them gets into the train room, they just ignore the treats.

Changing tack a bit, I managed to get a rare shot of Sykes showing his colours. A tri-coloured male is fairly unusual.

Not just uncommon.  Theoretically impossible.  Black and Orange come from the same set of genes on the X Chromosome.  Males only have on X Chromosome so in theory can either have Orange or Black colouring but not both.

We also have one but nothing like as pronounced as your boy.  Genetically they are called XXY males.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

19 minutes ago, SRman said:

A couple of weeks ago we had a rather hot spell, so the last thing one needs is a hot, fluffy cat cuddling up to one. Hattie shows that she knows how to relax. (Yes, that's me wearing shorts!).

IMG20210216163111.jpg.122c07699d87590582dda729a5a93a10.jpg

One of mine used to delight in doing the "Dead cat routine" by laying on her back, but that tended to be underneath a small coffee table rather than on a chair!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

One of mine used to delight in doing the "Dead cat routine" by laying on her back, but that tended to be underneath a small coffee table rather than on a chair!

Pisicuta (Romanian for Pussy Cat apparently, he's a rescue) does a very good dead bluebottle impression, lying on his with all four feet in the air.   The other one is called (Pooh) Bear, and is not allowed out.  However when he has escaped I have got some rather odd looks when trying to call them back in  ...  "Poo!   Pissy!    Poo!"

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

We found quite early on in the life of the current Mogs that putting the lid of the piano down overnight was essential!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 17/03/2021 at 10:57, Reorte said:

We've got a room crammed with junk like that ..on the odd occasion a cat "escapes" into there you've got no chance, not even for crunchies...it's too intriguing and too many hidey holes.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

He doesn't ambush trains then..?

(or chew through elec. cables ! )

She has a bit of a fit when lying on the ground in the sun directly under the raised track areas and a train goes over the top, but otherwise she seems to have a lack of interest in G Scale stuff. 

A bit different compared to N Gauge, which is sort of mouse sized when you are testing locos on a track away from the main layout and more at cat height!

One of my previous cats did demolish a significant proportion of the overhead wires when I had an N layout so fitted many years ago.  I just have the masts up now, with no wires.....

• Like 4

Old cat, young rats?

As I mentioned up thread, my Mainecoon Tilly has retired from the rat catching business.  Seems like the rats have found out and there has been an outbreak of them three doors up.  Tilly would have dealt with it in short order in her prime, but now she can't be bothered  - she spends her time sleeping in the sun or by a radiator rather than watching some drafty hole!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3