The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Gold

It’s an interesting one, the claims I mentioned above were within the first 15 months of the wife and I buying our first property, 14 years later and the insurer haven’t quite broken even on the claim, but we haven’t made any claims for her brother in the same period...

• RMweb Gold

We insured Odin then he got killed by a pallet falling on him within a couple of months if the policy opening and initially they refused to pay out as they said the policy hadn’t been running long enough, I did however take out a ‘from day one’ policy but they still tried to wriggle out of it, eventually they coughed up as i went to the insurance ombudsman

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jonboy said:

I know one of our two likes trains (or more specifically knocking off the rear wagon each time a rake passes) but this is a bit different https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/04/cat-on-a-fast-train-roof-holds-up-london-to-manchester-service

Thought the whole point of the orange lines was to indicate "don't climb above here." :rolleyes_mini:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's a discussion point.

Given where I live, there are a fair few of these.

20210303_120038.jpg.68ca508ccda3de2b7952b4add9d2f9c0.jpg

We won't have one, as we consider it cruel to perpetuate, as it is a form of spina bifda apparently, and many kittens are badly deformed.  this little gurl lives around the corner from us and is very cute and friendly, she's a 'stumpy' - has a tiny bit of tail, as opposed to a 'rumpy' that has none at all.  They're often high on the back legs - this one is a touch - and sometimes have an extra toe.  There is a lot of folklore about where they came from, the generally accepted one here is they came off a Spanish galleon that was wrecked here on the south of the island running away after the armada debacle (this much is true, two actually IIRC)  and were in-bred as a result of living on the ship.  Regardless, they're expensive to buy unless you know of a friendly farmer with a litter.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I would hope that the cat doesn't suffer any pain or discomfort, if they do, then breeding them is inexcusable.

If the cat(s) are ok, then I guess it's not so bad but I agree, I would be uncomfortable with them.

steve

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, steve1 said:

I would hope that the cat doesn't suffer any pain or discomfort, if they do, then breeding them is inexcusable.

If the cat(s) are ok, then I guess it's not so bad but I agree, I would be uncomfortable with them.

steve

One of the factors why I'm not dead keen on "squashed face" breeds of cat, or any other selective mating practices frankly. 

A good old common moggy is right by me.

C6T. 

Just for clarity, I don't include regional feline variations in that, Turkish Vans, Abyssinians etc. are gorgeous and not handicapped by human whim enforcement of appearance. 

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1
  • Agree 13

10 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Here's a discussion point.

Given where I live, there are a fair few of these.

20210303_120038.jpg.68ca508ccda3de2b7952b4add9d2f9c0.jpg

We won't have one, as we consider it cruel to perpetuate, as it is a form of spina bifda apparently, and many kittens are badly deformed.  this little gurl lives around the corner from us and is very cute and friendly, she's a 'stumpy' - has a tiny bit of tail, as opposed to a 'rumpy' that has none at all.  They're often high on the back legs - this one is a touch - and sometimes have an extra toe.  There is a lot of folklore about where they came from, the generally accepted one here is they came off a Spanish galleon that was wrecked here on the south of the island running away after the armada debacle (this much is true, two actually IIRC)  and were in-bred as a result of living on the ship.  Regardless, they're expensive to buy unless you know of a friendly farmer with a litter.

A tail is an essential part of a cat for balance when walking and jumping and paw warming when sitting or sleeping (just ask my Tilly). 

The breeding I most dislike is the perpetuation of those short legged Munchkin things.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

The breeding I most dislike is the perpetuation of those short legged Munchkin things.

I was glad that the GCCF refused to recognise the breed along with a few other deformities such as folds. 

Andi

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2021 at 21:16, eastglosmog said:

A tail is an essential part of a cat for balance when walking and jumping and paw warming when sitting or sleeping (just ask my Tilly). 

Despite having no tail, Manxies are no worse at performing acrobatic (catrobatic?) feats than a tailed cat.  They don't know any different.  I still don't like the fact the breed is perpetuated.

There's a couple around here, but they maybe represent 10% of the cat population at a guess from how many we see.  

20 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Despite having no tail, Manxies are no worse at performing acrobatic (catrobatic?) feats than a tailed cat.  They don't know any different.  I still don't like the fact the breed is perpetuated.

There's a couple around here, but they maybe represent 10% of the cat population at a guess from how many we see.  

But how do they perform that staple of all my cats, of walking along a crowded mantelpiece without disturbing anything, then knocking everything off with a swipe of the tail?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

But how do they perform that staple of all my cats, of walking along a crowded mantelpiece without disturbing anything, then knocking everything off with a swipe of the tail?

Easy, sit there looking at you.. then bash it with a paw.

There's an old piano here that's main purpose is to have stuff on top dashed to the floor...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Porkscratching said:

Easy, sit there looking at you.. then bash it with a paw.

There's an old piano here that's main purpose is to have stuff on top dashed to the floor...

And this is how we know conclusively that the earth is not flat. If it was, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Do they then do the same as one of ours does, and run away in a panic thinking the item they've just knocked off is attacking them?

• Like 1