The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

She's 14 now but Pandora - and her sister Emily who was with us until she went to her furever home - used to do clearance testing for me when I was building the multi level areas of Ravensclyffe.

PICT0243.JPG.bef96e0e3953c575feb780109746aee5.JPG

emily.jpg.d271011f6d353a7f4455057df7efb9fb.jpg

Andi

Good way to get the cobwebs out !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 09/11/2020 at 22:38, PenrithBeacon said:

IMG-20201025-WA0000.jpg

David, that is so like my long-deceased family cat.  Harvey, aka Knickers, Nicky, H, that cat.  The mutt was a Jack Russell.  Toddy, aka Nuthingbuta, T, that dog.  (My father was hopeless with names, I was that boy, my sister was that girl.)  Bill

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, bbishop said:

David, that is so like my long-deceased family cat.  Harvey, aka Knickers, Nicky, H, that cat.  The mutt was a Jack Russell.  Toddy, aka Nuthingbuta, T, that dog.  (My father was hopeless with names, I was that boy, my sister was that girl.)  Bill

Those two, Flo and Bowie, belong to my daughter's family. Flo is lovely Bowie is a pain.

• RMweb Premium

A friend's cat liked to sleep on the trolley layout; oddly, he never bothered the overhead:

100_6000.JPG.4468b2112384a2b92755447c46c9b78f.JPG

100_5994.JPG.d0b19f11c99a46992cd4222e23376349.JPG

100_5997.JPG.94408ab0b552f61211d056bba1cb4480.JPG

100_5998.JPG.0e6a71ab94c42894b116f95e4011d7da.JPG

EDIT: I just remembered the cat's name was TIP. I used to call him "The Speaker of the House" referring to the late Speaker of the U. S. House of Representatives, "Tip" O'Neil" He was really named for the white tips on his paws and tail.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Like 14

I'm not entirely convinced that the normal rules of space and time apply to cats. Only this morning I have seen Olly disappear from the garden in one direction, only to appear in a different part in the opposite direction minutes later. Then, when I walk into the living room, there she is curled up on the sofa. (We have cat flap but is currently sealed up.)

steve (baffled)

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, steve1 said:

I'm not entirely convinced that the normal rules of space and time apply to cats. Only this morning I have seen Olly disappear from the garden in one direction, only to appear in a different part in the opposite direction minutes later. Then, when I walk into the living room, there she is curled up on the sofa. (We have cat flap but is currently sealed up.)

steve (baffled)

No doubt about it mystical and mysterious animals, who seem to operate by different laws of nature and science (and any other law you can think of).   I think they can also be pretty sneaky.      

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, steve1 said:

steve (baffled)

I blame Schrodinger.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, steve1 said:

steve (baffled)

When my old Honey was alive, there was a cat called Austin who lived two doors up and was almost exactly like her (including somewhat portly girth).  Caused utter confusion!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, steve1 said:

steve (baffled)

So true.  We had one that would scowl at rain, and it would stop raining......

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

Gizmo is convinced he's not the same cat that we fed half an hour ago.  

Ours are like that, the usual trick is getting one of us to feed them, then trying to persuade the other that they've not been fed. They've come very close to succeeding a few times too!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

So true.  We had one that would scowl at rain, and it would stop raining......

Sykes gets quite upset if it is raining. We open the back door to let him out (and Hattie too, if she wants to go), but if it is raining, Sykes stops and looks at us, looks out again then turns around and demands to be let out of the front door - he seems to think the weather will be different if he goes out at the front. :D

Edited by SRman
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, SRman said:

Sykes gets quite upset if it is raining. We open the back door to let him out (and Hattie too, if she wants to go), but if it is raining, Sykes stops and looks at us, looks out again then turns around and demands to be let out of the front door - he seems to think the weather will be different if he goes out at the front. :D

When I lived in sub-tropical South Florida, I saw a few instances of rain on one side of the street but not the other.

21 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

When I lived in sub-tropical South Florida, I saw a few instances of rain on one side of the street but not the other.

I have seen a slow moving wall of water (heavy tropical downpour) coming down my street's hill in Rockhampton (in Central Queensland, right on the Tropic of Capricorn), so it would have been possible to have different weather between the front and the back of the house for a few minutes. It doesn't seem to happen here in Melbourne, so I think it is wishful thinking on Sykes' part ... if, indeed, he thinks at all. :D

Edited by SRman
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SRman said:

A demarcation problem.

It's the cats duty to demand, it's your problem to comply with the demand!

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

You don't have to be in the Tropics to experience this. I recall it happening once in Surrey, heavy rain in the front garden but still dry in the back garden.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

You don't have to be in the Tropics to experience this. I recall it happening once in Surrey, heavy rain in the front garden but still dry in the back garden.

Many years ago when I was at school, I watched a wall of rain advancing rapidly across the yard drenching everyone caught in it in 5 seconds flat.

I only just made it indoors and it was only about 10 yards from where I'd been standing!