The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

Black cats are my favourite and all 6 of our cats have been black / black and white but to be honest we couldn't turn a cat away no matter what colour and we received this e mail this morning.

"Today we are celebrating the 10th National Black Cat Day, Cats Protection’s annual campaign to celebrate black and black-and-white cats.

We launched this special day back on 27 October 2011 because we discovered that it took the black cats in our care a week longer on average to find a home than cats of other fur colours. 

Over the years we’ve explored reasons why that might be and tried to change adopter perceptions and the rehoming trend.

The good news? It’s worked!

On average black cats now spend 10 days less in our care before being rehomed than they did 10 years ago. The gap between the length of time black cats and other cats stay in our care has also narrowed".

Pete

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Well Maude is going tomorrow and hopefully 2 of her kittens too, all to separate homes, just 2 more kittens left after they have gone

as pointed out above we have struggled with this lot because they are black and perceived as being unlucky which i believe is an American superstition carried down from the Salem witch trials, whereas in Britain black cats are considered lucky 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

about a month ago the famous meme "long cat", actual name Nobiko passed away at the age of 18

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/longcat

From the article: "Longcat is one of the most recognized cats on the Internet."

Hmmm, until you posted this kink, I had never heard of "Longcat"; Grumpycat, yes, but Longcat, no. :jester:

• Agree 3

Living on a friend's farm this year whilst house hunting and I have converted from a confirmed cat hater to feeding and stroking them when they come to us for food, which is often. The best count we can make is eighteen or nineteen, some of them look very much alike. They are all farm cats and expected to earn their keep by controlling the numbers of mice, rats, and voles around the farm. With an occasional rabbit. Never sure about their number because one or two disappear for a few days and come back pregnant. The farmer told us that one queen has had forty kittens and must be the mother and grandmother of most of the cats on the farm. Her daughters are carrying on the tradition. She is now known as Floosie.

There are two that seem to have adopted us; a big ginger tom called Ginger and a long haired grey softie that waits for us to step out the door and runs towards us and wraps her arms round our leg. We call her Fluffy. You probably guessed we are not very inventive when it comes to cat names. Only Ginger and Fluffy are allowed in the house and given half a chance will curl up on a lap. They get fed by us and in exchange Ginger brings us the occasional mouse or vole. Then eats them himself. Watching kittens growing up and playing has been entertaining us all summer. I never realised how funny cats can be. Non of my former workmates will believe I am the same bloke who hated cats. I have seen the light. 

I would download some pics from my phone but cannot get them to work.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Resistance is futile!

Talking of cat behaviour that makes us laugh, Roxanne had me in stitches once whilst the snooker was on the telly. The fact she took an interest in contrasting colours moving on a screen was amusing but not particularly surprising, but when she looked under the TV when a ball disappeared into a pocket framed by the bottom corner of the picture cracked me up!

C6T. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

I got this sign today. The local Bi-Lo grocery store has been sold to Food Lion (the complete process will take few more months) and when I saw the sign in the pet food aisle, I thought that I would like to have it when the store finally closed as a Bi-Lo. Well, today I asked the manager about it and she took my contact information and said that she would call when it was removed. While I was talking to one of the clerks, that clerk pointed and said that I was wanted in aisle 13. I went over and there was the manager and an assistant; they had taken the sign down and handed it to me:

CatsignfromBi-Lo.JPG.cb12222780378148453245d9c176db5b.JPG

It is printed on foam-core poster board and has multiple layers providing a 3-D image. The ad at the top is attached with both screws and double-sided tape so it will stay there for awhile.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add a photo
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I was down fixing the curtain on my wife's layout when Marco came over. At least I was done by this point.

Marco_1388.jpg.e1c3e74dcee6c62f3b7471b8f26a174a.jpg

This is Marco about 6 years ago when we got him.

Marco_4190.jpg.9826f71b7ec8d0bf9d69623c7259478a.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
On 30/10/2020 at 01:40, Ohmisterporter said:

Living on a friend's farm this year whilst house hunting and I have converted from a confirmed cat hater to feeding and stroking them when they come to us for food, which is often. The best count we can make is eighteen or nineteen, some of them look very much alike. They are all farm cats and expected to earn their keep by controlling the numbers of mice, rats, and voles around the farm. With an occasional rabbit. Never sure about their number because one or two disappear for a few days and come back pregnant. The farmer told us that one queen has had forty kittens and must be the mother and grandmother of most of the cats on the farm. Her daughters are carrying on the tradition. She is now known as Floosie.

All of that is totally irresponsible. Time for some desexing.

What is it with some people?