The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

Some snaps from the 'phone's memory of my feline companions. 

Smudge.JPG.78cf2efebb62b5dec277282968a33aab.JPG

Smudge, who we gave a home to when her previous owners had their first baby. A big ol lass, her being older I never really understood her foibles but she is remembered fondly. 

DSC_0295.JPG.2ced61c14ef2cc6ed92fba2f9898a14f.JPG

Mia you know, daft mog, much loved. 

DSC_0166.JPG.afcd5dc25b1898443e4cd591d48fb91e.JPG

Jette on the day we received her. Something like 20 months later she didn't come back home after popping out as per usual on a Sunday morning. Despite doing as much as we could do to find her, I have to kid myself she found a nicer home. 

C6T. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

I had to say goodbye to this little lady today. Sophie arrived in the garden on midsummer 6 years ago, she was ravenously hungry and had yellow wax all over her head. She came in and ate and let me comb the wax out. She never left. She was unchipped and posters and adverts locally were unable to find where she came from.

The vet reckoned she was at least ten years old then. Recently she had gone deaf and a bit senile but was happy. This morning she was not well so a trip to the vets, unfortunately that revealed that she was very ill, with a very low temperature and unlikely to pull through so I had to make the decision we all dread.

Seep well LadyMiss, you are very missed.

IMG_2818.JPEG.6a4af521825aad6ad6a811d3e01c257e.JPEG

Andi

Real tears.  Somehow I wish that I had not opened On Cats today.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, cb900f said:

If that is his "hungry" look I wouldn't like to see his "angry" look.  :)

He saves that look for the times he has not been fed to his satisfaction normally accompanied by lots of noise.   He was the runt of the litter and is still totally obsessed with food.   He is actually a real softie.      

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Real tears.  Somehow I wish that I had not opened On Cats today.

Take heart in the positives Comrade. Had that poor mog not stumbled upon Andi's garden, well you know. 

Every positive contributor to this Topic has been shown to be a human being beyond that expected of them by caring for an animal that may or may not need it. Something to be celebrated, if even in a very low key way.

The alternative I'm afraid I can't deal with.

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

They are our fluffy friends and part of the family. Any loss is felt. My heart goes out to you.

When we moved the last thing we did was go into the garden and say goodbye to the 4 cats buried under the apple tree. It was the hardest thing to do. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

21 minutes ago, didcot said:

Pepper has taken to sleeping in our youngest lads beanbag, much to Marbles annoyance!

20201015_204344.jpg.6b71bde5fe0e6c42838355b303bb0662.jpg

Beautiful plumage!

C6T. 

Honestly, I pretend Mia is a Silver Tabby and White, but her stripes are long gone. I'm actually jealous of moggies with proper stripes and scarab markings on their bonce! 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 14/10/2020 at 10:46, Nick C said:

Yeah, the advice we've had is to never feed a cat entirely on dry food - either all wet or a mixture. Ours seem to like a mixture, so they get dry in the mornings and wet in the evenings.

I had read the same but one of ours refused point blank to eat wet food even after we only put wet food down for a day. I rang the Vets for advice as the rescue centre had said they shouldn't eat an exclusively dry food diet. Our vet said as long as she was drinking water and we fed her good quality dry food (Royal Canin or similar) then she would be fine. Touch wood she has been spot on for the last 7months. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Pepper is a real sweet heart. She was one of 2 sisters that a local chap and his Polish workers had. The Polish guy would kick her sister out at night. She would wander in and eat the other cats food. She went missing and we saw her on Facebook at the other end of town. My wife saw the Polish guy and he collected her. Wish we hadn't bothered as the family who found her were smitten. She went missing again and was never seen again. 

Pepper would lay in the gutter and I nearly ran her over a few times. Her owner went home to Ireland one Christmas and Pepper moved in. She was on the door step one frosty evening. When we moved the chap let us take her. She had a garage and food but no company. He had her spayed as a local Tom was after her. He did his best for her, but he wasnt home enough to look after her. She's my lap cat and loves bacon. 

Edited by didcot
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Maude the current foster was spayed today, microchipped to so she’s looking for a new home, she’s quite chilled but doesn’t like other cats, hisses at our 3 but she will eat with them and be in the same room but only for a short while, she’s really affectionate though, loves a Stoke and tickle on the head!

85F0A846-F766-4286-A5BF-7535FAC0E045.jpeg.b98a6135b99c5aa56f595fbff8b5dc0d.jpeg

4738157D-92D5-4902-8B62-6B90E00B713E.jpeg.87aadb3606c8562acbe3a3bc7b098e00.jpeg

as for the kittens, managed to get a few pics, could only manage it with the flash though, and I think I managed to get a pic if each of the 4, hard to tell with a couple of them

9DDD11F6-4ADC-4DEB-B784-1896BFA38C99.jpeg.5151636dee99db1a70a6c291ec0cb047.jpeg

45E5B9E2-52AA-4FC0-B404-854C00EFEA80.jpeg.d57d1c93e8a4fdcd7d04b6e0a61bcc6e.jpeg

7DE94716-9002-4787-A69F-0A90B19A3CA6.jpeg.c8fc982d395a51b46316bd54ab599e0e.jpeg

3F62F492-5B8B-4929-A9C1-3BAF434E4EA3.jpeg.12473289f77571f693cf001f551ffb33.jpeg

as you can see they have been having lots of fun in the litter tray! They are all fully litter trained though

• Like 15
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

50 minutes ago, big jim said:

Maude the current foster was spayed today, microchipped to so she’s looking for a new home, she’s quite chilled but doesn’t like other cats

This part I hope you understand why introduction into a home with Mia already ensconced probably wouldn't work. I'd be thrilled if rehoming to Andi panned out well though.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

This part I hope you understand why introduction into a home with Mia already ensconced probably wouldn't work. I'd be thrilled if rehoming to Andi panned out well though.

C6T. 

I still have three wonderful cats here, Pandora is a naughty Tortie who is 14 but still known as Kitten 

F63204EA-E61C-4D57-82C1-52F4759C828A.jpeg.700150c8f58622844e85d944ef7607d1.jpeg

Then Jareth is the thug, he’s a six year old big lump of cuddle. 
4BA7835E-A7A8-4B75-A17A-E2587A9300D6.jpeg.1c3468ff05bdb3dd82f40d30f0ea1dfb.jpeg

and Gremlin, came to me through a friend when her previous owner died suddenly. I was told she was a boy, and that she was fiercely loyal once (s)he decided to accept you but until then would take your hand off. She did too, put me in hospital twice with bites needing antibiotics Now a big soppy lady who loves cuddles and fuss. 

2517137E-7C30-4F9B-884A-7598BA8F0AAE.jpeg.5989debe19d85a3cd24eb0aae09dcb22.jpeg

I’d love to try to give Maude a home but from Jim’s comment it sounds like she wouldn’t be happy with the others. I will think about offering a place to one of the kittens, Jareth would love a playmate. 

Andi

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

More than likely a small/far away thing going on in that last pic Mr. Dell, or Gremlin is 'kin huge!

C6T. 

She's a chunky lass, I'm not sure who is heavier, her or Jareth. 

She's built like a tank, it's all muscle.

28BB755E-8F11-4EF8-9212-0A4B2952A9D3.jpeg.bc278cbeeeac84984a8d50ecaf8d8cef.jpeg

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 13

This is Tabby, yes I know, but my wife wanted to call her Gloria . I told her that there was no way I was calling Gloria at midnight in the back garden when trying to tempt her in so we called her Tabitha. She just appeared one day from under the shed where she was sleeping, we think according to the vet that she was about 10-12 weeks old. It was late Sept, so I cut a hole in the shed door so she could sleep inside. After about a week of feeding and talking to her by my good lady she cautiously crept into the conservatory and settled down on a bed upstairs. 7 yrs later she has grown into a very intelligent cat. We lost our previous cat a year earlier and we had been looking forward to enjoying our holidays abroad without the worry of  a cat back home, Tabby put paid to that.

I thought I had better post another photo just to prove she is not always scruffy.

WP_000617.jpg

WP_000372.jpg

Edited by cb900f
added photo
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Talking of cat tunnels, this is Badger at the end of his, contemplating a mad dash up it.  Probably the best investment in a cat toy I ever made.

IMG_6095.jpg.ae97f64c7e21c31103d54afd2a4b3404.jpg

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photo
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 16/10/2020 at 17:07, cb900f said:

This is Tabby, yes I know, but my wife wanted to call her Gloria . I told her that there was no way I was calling Gloria at midnight in the back garden when trying to tempt her in so we called her Tabitha. She just appeared one day from under the shed where she was sleeping, we think according to the vet that she was about 10-12 weeks old. It was late Sept, so I cut a hole in the shed door so she could sleep inside. After about a week of feeding and talking to her by my good lady she cautiously crept into the conservatory and settled down on a bed upstairs. 7 yrs later she has grown into a very intelligent cat. We lost our previous cat a year earlier and we had been looking forward to enjoying our holidays abroad without the worry of  a cat back home, Tabby put paid to that.

I thought I had better post another photo just to prove she is not always scruffy.

WP_000617.jpg

WP_000372.jpg

What a great story and a very pretty girl. I'm not one for fate but...do we seek them, or t'other way around?

C6T. 

• Like 2