The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Gold

The 4 kittens, In a play pan while their accommodation is cleaned

Cecil, richard, Clive and Len, named after my wife’s grandad and his brothers

all available for rehoming soon, the mother is still looking for a home too

30FEB773-A347-458B-9105-4591DDE41EC4.jpeg.d2ea0e61d9c18acd974ccefc68d6ef82.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

11 minutes ago, big jim said:

The 4 kittens, In a play pan while their accommodation is cleaned

Cecil, richard, Clive and Len, named after my wife’s grandad and his brothers

all available for rehoming soon, the mother is still looking for a home too

30FEB773-A347-458B-9105-4591DDE41EC4.jpeg.d2ea0e61d9c18acd974ccefc68d6ef82.jpeg

I showed your original post to daughter as she loves looking at Kittens however I don't think I will share the above post with her.... 2 cats is enough for us, hope they all go to good homes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I was sitting outside with my wife yesterday afternoon watching the sun starting to set and the clouds were fantastic. I went in to get my camera (proper camera, not phone) and took a few photos. I turned around and Tippy was looking at me and doing the whole "aren't I cute" routine. I had to take a photo of him.

Regards,

Craig W

IMG_1107.JPG

• Like 17

11 hours ago, sir douglas said:

a youtuber i follow got a kitten last year, Aki is a Maincoon , one of the largest of the domestic breeds, they can grow about twice as big as other average cats

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXwjQ-VX0AEhrVu.jpg

EXwjQ-VX0AEhrVu.jpg

When I saw that photo, I thought my Tilly had been moonlighting again!

• RMweb Gold
On 08/10/2020 at 10:40, Allegheny1600 said:

I'm not sure this will help but here goes;

Our Peanut (feral rescue) ate as much as he could and it was very difficult to control his weight but by being quite strict* and using vet recommended Royal Canin "Satiety" - they're a larger but slightly softer biscuit that are designed to satisfy constantly hungry cats.

His weight has gone from nearly 10Kg to 8.5Kg but he does have a full set of teeth so can't say how it would be for a less toothy cat. He doesn't vomit on these anyway.

Hand feeding sounds really good though!

Good luck,

John

Thanks for the heads-up on this.  I managed to speak to the vet yesterday about various issues with both cats.  She was supportive of using 'Satiety'.  Nephy was said to be 5Kg on the docs from the rescue centre but she'll be up to 6Kg quickly if I don't hit it on the head.  I've ordered some with a view to (initially) giving her half or 2/3 this, and the balance regular cat food.

rev 10Oct20 Togetherness.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/10/2020 at 10:40, Allegheny1600 said:

I'm not sure this will help but here goes;

Our Peanut (feral rescue) ate as much as he could and it was very difficult to control his weight but by being quite strict* and using vet recommended Royal Canin "Satiety" - they're a larger but slightly softer biscuit that are designed to satisfy constantly hungry cats.

His weight has gone from nearly 10Kg to 8.5Kg but he does have a full set of teeth so can't say how it would be for a less toothy cat. He doesn't vomit on these anyway.

So having just started Bonnie on the Royal Canin dry food - the bag we've got (which we bought a couple of months ago) is branded "Appetite Control" rather than "Satiety". Not sure what the difference is as surely appetite control and weight management are basically the same aim? We've gone for the recommended portion size for an overweight cat (35g dry plus one pouch wet), so we'll see if that starts to make a difference...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Nick C said:

So having just started Bonnie on the Royal Canin dry food - the bag we've got (which we bought a couple of months ago) is branded "Appetite Control" rather than "Satiety". Not sure what the difference is as surely appetite control and weight management are basically the same aim? We've gone for the recommended portion size for an overweight cat (35g dry plus one pouch wet), so we'll see if that starts to make a difference...

I've gone for what I hope is wet food pouches.

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/royal-canin-veterinary-diets-royal-canin-satiety-c-1030_65_265/royal-canin-satiety-pouches-for-cats-p-336

When I spoke to her about Nephy throwing up biscuits 'cos she gobbles them so fast, she wasn't at all bothered about the cat not getting biscuits, and showed much more concern about them getting wet food (and drink of course).  As it happens I'm feeding Nephy a few biscuits a day by hand so she has something to crunch on (she has more teeth than Spangle) and also because hand feeding is a part of winning her over as discussed earlier in the thread.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Metr0Land said:

I've gone for what I hope is wet food pouches.

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/royal-canin-veterinary-diets-royal-canin-satiety-c-1030_65_265/royal-canin-satiety-pouches-for-cats-p-336

When I spoke to her about Nephy throwing up biscuits 'cos she gobbles them so fast, she wasn't at all bothered about the cat not getting biscuits, and showed much more concern about them getting wet food (and drink of course).  As it happens I'm feeding Nephy a few biscuits a day by hand so she has something to crunch on (she has more teeth than Spangle) and also because hand feeding is a part of winning her over as discussed earlier in the thread.

Yeah, the advice we've had is to never feed a cat entirely on dry food - either all wet or a mixture. Ours seem to like a mixture, so they get dry in the mornings and wet in the evenings.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gopher said:

Further to my earlier post.  Hide and Seek is very tiring (as we all know), although he did not move very far and decided to stay in the shoe box to fall asleep.   

IMG-20201012-WA0003.jpg

Proof of the 2017 IgNobel prize for Physics - Cats are a liquid and take the shape of their container!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Nick C said:

Proof of the 2017 IgNobel prize for Physics - Cats are a liquid and take the shape of their container!

Yes always surprises me how such a big cat can squeeze into tight spaces.  Having said that he is sometimes too ambitious and underestimates his size,  quite funny watching him trying to work out how to fit into something when the laws of physics are clearly against him.

• RMweb Premium
On 12/10/2020 at 05:24, Gopher said:

Now what can I do with a shoe fan box ?  Oh yes play hide and seek. 

My previous cat, Tyger:

Hmmm, this looks interesting:

100_2970.JPG.2591f08701daaac7193a1eda1eef5a43.JPG

Peek-a-boo, I see you:

100_2968.JPG.bc3b0c25a8f8d0d73e25a6d6bca98eac.JPG

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2