The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

45 minutes ago, Gopher said:

In the numerous times she did this, the larger orange mice were always near the top or the highest mice in her arrangement.  I think cats suffer a degree of colour blindness so I am not sure it was the colour which influenced her decision making.  The mice were normally arranged with their tails pointing down the stairs. 

Cats and dogs are supposed to only see in monochrome, but our past cat Lucy could certainly see some colours. She would steal balls from our Christmas tree, but only blue or yellow ones, never red or green. As an aside, we had to remove all glass balls because she would drop them on the carpet then 'splat' them with a paw. All remaining balls were silk-wrapped plastic ones.

When we had friends with young chldren stay with us, Lucy stole several of their toys, things like alphabet blocks, interlocking pegs, and even a woollen doll ... every single one of them blue or yellow, or both.

There is some significance to this, seeing as the blue/yellow combination is a complementary pair, as are red and green.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

35 minutes ago, SRman said:

Cats and dogs are supposed to only see in monochrome, but our past cat Lucy could certainly see some colours. She would steal balls from our Christmas tree, but only blue or yellow ones, never red or green. As an aside, we had to remove all glass balls because she would drop them on the carpet then 'splat' them with a paw. All remaining balls were silk-wrapped plastic ones.

When we had friends with young chldren stay with us, Lucy stole several of their toys, things like alphabet blocks, interlocking pegs, and even a woollen doll ... every single one of them blue or yellow, or both.

There is some significance to this, seeing as the blue/yellow combination is a complementary pair, as are red and green.

I fail to see how anyone can say how a cat or dog, or any other animal for that matter, sees the world.

How do they know it sees in monochrome? Have they been able to interpret how the animal's brain decodes the information the eyes send to it?

I saw something a while ago that suggested a cat saw the world in a similar way to how we see a 3D film without using the red and green glasses. That being the case, how can they pick out and chase small insects much less pluck birds out of the air mid flight?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, great central said:

I fail to see how anyone can say how a cat or dog, or any other animal for that matter, sees the world.

How do they know it sees in monochrome? Have they been able to interpret how the animal's brain decodes the information the eyes send to it?

I saw something a while ago that suggested a cat saw the world in a similar way to how we see a 3D film without using the red and green glasses. That being the case, how can they pick out and chase small insects much less pluck birds out of the air mid flight?

They know the number and types of cells in the retina, so whilst we can never know exactly how a brain interprets the information we can get some idea of what information goes in to it in the first place.

The red and green example sounds a bit confused though, AFAIK there's nothing to suggest that cats don't have good stero vision. It could be referring to the colour that gets through, although I'd have thought cyan tinted spectacles would be more accurate (they'd filter out the red, which is what cats seem poor at).

Other cat-related things, they've got much better night vision than humans but aren't as good close up. I found that out when my cat started dragging her water bowl, something I'd not seen another cat do, and found out some do possibly because it makes the surface ripple and easier for them to locate, because they can't see it all that well. They're not so good with distant vision either.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hank has a couple of favourite toys that he carry’s round then batters hell out of, what makes us laugh though is after he’s finished he will pick them up and carry them both to the food bowl and plonk them alongside for them to have a feed, of course with us having other cats the food get eaten, we can’t help thinking that He comes back and thinks the toys have had a good dinner!

75E2CADB-4FF6-4F81-9F03-DF3EA6BFDC3A.jpeg.6129fb6655afaa6b51f13187e3fd1a1f.jpeg

Edited by big jim
Added photo
  • Like 12
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Red and green seen in monochrome against a green Christmas tree probably do not show up well.  I am not saying the cat won't see them but they may not be attractive.  Yellow will certainly show up and depending on the shade blue might well also show up well.

Edit to add; Monochrome and colour receptors in the eye are different and cats have no colour receptors.

Edited by Andy Hayter

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great central said:

Easy enough with a dog, as they can be trained to respond in certain ways to what they "see".

Printout a card with a dotted Stag on a dotted background. Make the Stag standout with higher contrast dots. Have another card with just random dots on it.0

Train the dog to bark when they see the Stag on the card and be quiet if they don't see a Stag. Make a game of it and reward it with a hug and a treat every time it "sees" a Stag and, more importantly, every time it does not "see" the absent stag on the card.

When the animal is consistently "getting it right", printout loads of cards with different coloured dotted Stags on different coloured dotted backgrounds. Make sure the dots are always different with different colour themes. Don't forget to add none-Stag cards too.

image.png.1c947897d1b757f08317ee6ce435a41c.png

Now tally up which ones it consistently gets right and which ones it "never sees" the Stag even though it is there. That will tell you which colours he dog can differentiate

Good luck with a cat though!

Kev.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Red and green seen in monochrome against a green Christmas tree probably do not show up well.  I am not saying the cat won't see them but they may not be attractive.  Yellow will certainly show up and depending on the shade blue might well also show up well.

Edit to add; Monochrome and colour receptors in the eye are different and cats have no colour receptors.

That might explain the Christmas ornaments, but it doesn't explain the stolen toys. She did this colour perception thing throughout her 17 year life. After she died, we found a little hoard of items she had squirreled away, all blue and/or yellow. We have never seen this in any other cats, though.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

Cats are at least bichromatic (can see two colours, yellow and blue from what I can find from a bit of quick Googling) and possibly trichromatic. They have a much lower density of colour receptors compared to us though so even the colours they can distinguish they won't be able to do as good job of it as humans.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

58 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Cats are at least bichromatic (can see two colours, yellow and blue from what I can find from a bit of quick Googling) and possibly trichromatic. They have a much lower density of colour receptors compared to us though so even the colours they can distinguish they won't be able to do as good job of it as humans.

Yes indeed.  Just been looking it up in one of my cat books.  It says they have 25 rods per cone, compared to the 4 rods per cone in human eyes, so their perception of colour is likely to be less acute than ours. It also says that for many years Scientists believed that cats could see only in monochrome, because they found it impossible to teach them to distinguish between different colours.  However cats that have been trained for long enough are able to distinguish some colours.  Green and blue sensitive cones have been found, but not red sensitive ones.  Red probably appears as dark grey to a cat. (The book dates form 1980, so further discoveries may now have been made.)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, great central said:

AIUI cats vision when hunting is primarily about detecting movement. Sound, touch and smell are vastly more attuned to nocturnal hunting.

This is demonstrated by kittens going barmy if you place a mirror for them. When they get older, because the reflected cat does not smell like a cat, it's generally ignored.

C6T. 

• Like 3

about 15 years ago we took in a stray that kept begging for food at a friend's house, we called her Garfield after how much she ate, then one day about 5 years ago she came home with a broken leg, she was old so would not likely heal or get used to living on 3 legs so she was put down, i still miss her sometimes

IMAG0035.JPG.cf53028820cf767680cc3d98dc6e1f91.JPG

736251134_Picture106.jpg.50091a1a00bfdc0e998712e17da0c963.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 12

1 hour ago, eastglosmog said:

Yes indeed.  Just been looking it up in one of my cat books.  It says they have 25 rods per cone, compared to the 4 rods per cone in human eyes, so their perception of colour is likely to be less acute than ours. It also says that for many years Scientists believed that cats could see only in monochrome, because they found it impossible to teach them to distinguish between different colours.  However cats that have been trained for long enough are able to distinguish some colours.  Green and blue sensitive cones have been found, but not red sensitive ones.  Red probably appears as dark grey to a cat. (The book dates form 1980, so further discoveries may now have been made.)

Just a bit amazed at seeing the words train and teach in the same sentence as the word cats...

steve

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

3 hours ago, steve1 said:

Just a bit amazed at seeing the words train and teach in the same sentence as the word cats...

steve

Dunno about train, but this little beauty is Roxanne, and she was one of the smartest cats I've ever known. 

DSC_0103.JPG.9c04aa2baf4270850dcadc289c1bb5dc.JPG

She learnt what "look, up, off and out" meant, knew the ice-cream van tinkle meant a treat and could open doors with the handle and turn on the light switch. Clever girl!

C6T. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

22 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Dunno about train, but this little beauty is Roxanne, and she was one of the smartest cats I've ever known. 

DSC_0103.JPG.9c04aa2baf4270850dcadc289c1bb5dc.JPG

She learnt what "look, up, off and out" meant, knew the ice-cream van tinkle meant a treat and could open doors with the handle and turn on the light switch. Clever girl!

C6T. 

We used to have an enormous ginger tom we called Horace who wasn't the brightest cat on the block but he would use the loo when it was wet outside.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Our ginger tom Lucky could turn on pull cord lights - usually in the middle of the night so we thought we were being burgled! He also tried, and occasionally could pull the fridge door open.  Issue.....  :rolleyes:  he was always overweight.

Little Billet the tortie had a green fetish, all her favourite toys were green.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

George, a rescue kitten, has very kindly offered to adopt us from the local RSPCA today.

Here is George playing with my son.

image.png.786662fe032111be5bed94358517971f.png

Kev.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Wingnut chilling out and then doing what she likes best:

Wingnut-0124.JPG.5ab81865a9944ab95804edf4c6c2aa58.JPG

Wingnut-0120.JPG.0f51b075649d56a9f4d293f359b16739.JPG

Wingnut-0122.JPG.70a95e3cacc78542f10d35910612d0ca.JPG

Wingnut-0123.JPG.db82d5b7434b1e763feb30243428cbb0.JPG