The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, big jim said:

My wife has lots of bast figures strategically placed around the house and none if the cats will go anywhere near them!

Sounds like that could be a more effective furniture-saver than a strategically placed scratching post.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Although I am a big dog lover (“Fie, get thee behind me, Satan!” I hear you cry), I also enjoy cats and cats put up with me.

Many years ago I was doing some theatre with a good friend of mine who is a cat owner (two rescue cats) My friend was acting as my assistant director and the play was set in Ancient Egypt. So, to say thank you to her for her work, after the show I bought her a life sized replica statue of Bast - the Egyptian Cat goddess.

To make a long story short, my friend later told me that she placed the cat-sized cat statue on top of one of her large hi-fi speakers. Of her two rescue cats, one completely avoided the statue; the second - after about half an hour of deliberation, - jumps on to the speaker and tries to out stare the statue! After about five minutes of ineffectual glaring, the real cat unsheathed her claws and gave the statue an almighty whack across the muzzle. Upon the absence of any kind of reaction from the statue, my friend said that her rescue cat gave a sort of a feline shrug, jumped off the speaker and completely and studiously ignored the statute from then on.

Finally, may I say “well done“ to Big Jim and Andy for opening their hearts and homes to so many cats.

I firmly believe that we have a moral duty of care to those animals that we have domesticated, especially the dog and the cat - without whom it is unlikely that man, as a species, would’ve done as well as it has done.

Thought you were going to tell us, that the cat ended up knocking the statue off and smashing it to pieces!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Hi Jim,

That was a very touching story, bless you and your family for taking these wonderful characters on and giving them the love they so deserve.

It's really good to see that your son, Dominic is also clearly a caring human too, may he and you all, enjoy the love of many wonderful animals yet to come.

Something in my eye, again!

John.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Jim,

That was a very touching story, bless you and your family for taking these wonderful characters on and giving them the love they so deserve.

It's really good to see that your son, Dominic is also clearly a caring human too, may he and you all, enjoy the love of many wonderful animals yet to come.

Something in my eye, again!

John.

Same here.

Its hard to lose our fluffy friends. Non of ours have ever died of natural causes and seeing them deteriorate is awful. Its strange that several of ours became ill overnight and required a overnight visit to the vets to be put to sleep. But that's all part of owning animals. Its not a 9 to 5 job and you have to do right by them regardless. We used to bury ours under the apple tree and would joke that the apples should be furry. Leaving them was the hardest thing to do when we moved.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Here is a pic of our three in happier times;

21496229946_88b9fb74f3_z.jpg

Peanut is obviously the Friesian looking fella, Alexis is the Silver Bengal and my darling Amber is her sister, the tabby version, very playful.

Sadly, Alexis is on her last legs but comfortable, she has liver & kidney failure but a renal diet seems to be helping. She's made it to 17½ though. We lost Amber about a year ago due to a tumour in her throat, had to say goodbye to a fair few animals over the years but that was the worst.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

well he is off to college to train to be a craft butcher so I suppose we can enjoy some of his other animals soon! 

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

Where do I start?  Okay, with 'Mr Soo,' who was in old age when captured in this shot four years ago.  Born one of triplets in 2004, I half-jokingly gave him the pedigree name Phantasmagoria Monkey-Puzzle, but better known as Sid.  He was a blue tabby point Siamese and the runt of the litter, making up for this with an extreme case of Napoleon syndrome, and ruling the roost, which at one time comprised his siblings, mum and two Maine .

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Introducing Coffee and Cocoa - brother and sister who are rescue cats and were found abandoned as kittens a few days old in a shed behind the Symphony Hall in Brum.

I've had them since they were found - they have got me through two significant crisis in my life and have honestly kept me going at times.

Cocoa has never grown up and still suckles my jumpers!!

Miss Coffee

IMG_20200811_175759.jpg.21a6b95e7813bace2d0012d639c368b7.jpg

Cocoa being his usual active self...

IMG_20200811_175807.jpg.427eb7babf0531e4df50cda2e4672683.jpg

Edited by 08221
Spilling
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

7 hours ago, big jim said:

@eastglosmog those Maine’s are beautiful!

Yes they are and don't they know it!  Even at the vets, Tilly plays to the gallery, she has managed to gather 4 vet nurses and one vet cooing over her when she had to have a bandage changed.  She is also very well behaved and never scratches so is popular on that count as well.  Don't think the local dogs (who are under her paw) would believe how charming she can be.

Big Jim, I remember you posting about Mike when you got him and later about his sad death and how devastated your son and you all were.  Very sad.

Badgers cancer came on very quickly, He suddenly became very lethargic so I rushed him to the vets.  Although he was operated on (desperation rather than any real hope) he died 3 days later.  He had had his annual check up only the month before and nothing was found.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

As a major cat lover myself, I thank you all for the gorgeous pictures in this thread - I may have something in my eyes!

I always consider myself bi-petual(!) but cats will always come first for me.

Here's Peanut, our rescue from Greece;

25080207860_a9b08d7481_c.jpg

The 80's just called, they'd like their shoulder pads back!

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

28 minutes ago, BrushVeteran said:

It makes me feel quite proud to share my cat photos with so many like minded members on this forum. I may put up some images of my previous cat family as and when..............but thanks Didcot for starting this 

Thank you, I've been meaning to start it for a while. We wouldn't be without our cats. They have helped me greatly. Our youngest Sam loves his cats and regularly gives up most of his bed to Marble and Cookie. 

• Like 10