Athearn's 'Primed for Grime' freight cars

Athearn introduced their 'Primed for Grime' freight cars some time ago and continue with new releases. I particularly like the 'patched' cars.

Here are a couple of  50ft double plug door box cars which I've weathered with washes and weathering powders.

csao 22.6.20 001.JPG

csao 11.6.20 001.JPG

• Like 12

4 hours ago, jasond said:

You lucky HOers, what do you reckon F-UnitMad, would Lionel, MTH, even Atlas ever do this in O?

Jason

MTH I would guess is a safe no given they are closing down and (I believe) have already released their final catalogue.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, jasond said:

You lucky HOers, what do you reckon F-UnitMad, would Lionel, MTH, even Atlas ever do this in O?

Jason

Huh - we'd be lucky to get some more up-to-date rolling stock types, never mind them being supplied ready to reflect modern practice!! :rolleyes: :mad: :no:

My rolling stock "wants" - up to date 57ft reefers, 64ft ARMN reefers, waffle-side double-door hi-cubes, plain grey covered hoppers.......

8 hours ago, jasond said:

Jason

So, not into O but some comments.

One, despite the Primed for Grime being around for a couple of years now none of the other HO manufacturers appear to be interested in offering something similar - perhaps an indication that while there is a market it isn't a large one even in HO.

Then there is the issue of whether the 3-rail O people would be interested - I am guessing not.  If they aren't then the idea is likely dead - there is a cost in time to setting up each paint scheme in the paint/printing shops that means the factories want minimum quantities, usually in the hundreds (often seems to be given as 200 - 250 units).  It may be there simply isn't enough demand in O to reach the minimum quantity that would be required.

• Agree 1

Take my hat off to them for trying.  I'm partway (as usual) thru' an Erie-Lackawanna 50ft boxcar as acquired by the D&H on Conrail day.  Yes, fade/grime the car down a bit and boxcar red over the old roadname, fresh panel for the reporting marks ... oh, that boxcar red - nearly the same as the E-L's.  So much history in just mismatched paint! 

I remember standing on Mannheim commuter stn at the southeast end of CP's Bensenville Yard with a grain train slowly coming thru'.  Deep grimed, cylindrical grain hoppers recently painted rectangle with reporting marks ending in X, with birds on the roof pecking furiously, and I suddenly realised that under the grime ... that one's an ex-CN like the MTH one ... and that one's ... well you get the picture.  Weathering!!

Jason