Varnishing Southern Pride Models kits

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all, I'm asking this question, as I've search for an answer but can't seem to find it.

I've managed to finally get my hands on a Southern Pride Models 4-Cig kit with the pre-printed sides. However, I've never built one of these kits before and I'm uncertain how people varnish the models once they are finished and with transfers added, especially with the windows already glazed.

Any suggestions or advice for those that have done these before? Having spent a fair amount to get hold of this kit, I don't want to stuff it up. TIA.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Do you need to varnish?

I made some of the Mk1 Pullmans years ago, and am just doing another. Used HMRS Pressfix transfers, no varnish and none have been damaged at all after 15+ years.

John.

This was a thought as well, although I do tend to varnish to seal the transfers and then dullcote to give a satin/matt finish.

If you've had no issues with Pressfix without varnish, then it'll be fine as I prefer to use the HMRS pressfix transfers.

Maybe just a little coat of clear brushed on perhaps to seal them?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/07/2020 at 15:44, Geep7 said:

Afternoon all, I'm asking this question, as I've search for an answer but can't seem to find it.

I've managed to finally get my hands on a Southern Pride Models 4-Cig kit with the pre-printed sides. However, I've never built one of these kits before and I'm uncertain how people varnish the models once they are finished and with transfers added, especially with the windows already glazed.

Any suggestions or advice for those that have done these before? Having spent a fair amount to get hold of this kit, I don't want to stuff it up. TIA.

When using Klear to seal transfers, I apply it to the entire coach side - including windows.

Klear is recommended for improving the transparency of plastic windows / aircraft cockpit canopies, etc.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Yes, you could add a bit of Kleer. I haven't done so, so you proably need to check it doesn't doing anything unpleasant to the vinyl.

I find that Pressfix seem to stick like the proverbial. However most of my sheets are a few years old, and I think the manufacturer may have changed. For the first time in decades I was quite disappointed with the last set I got, sheet 8 being GW & BR orange/ black lining. The first sheet was out of register, I contacted HMRS and to be fair they sent a replacement  FOC. However this seems to be thin and doesn't cover as well as I'd hoped, plus broke up a bit when I tried, very carefully, to remove excess glue. I think in future I'll look older for pre-owned sheets at Shows (If there ever are any), and on Ebay.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Yes, you could add a bit of Kleer. I haven't done so, so you proably need to check it doesn't doing anything unpleasant to the vinyl.

I find that Pressfix seem to stick like the proverbial. However most of my sheets are a few years old, and I think the manufacturer may have changed. For the first time in decades I was quite disappointed with the last set I got, sheet 8 being GW & BR orange/ black lining. The first sheet was out of register, I contacted HMRS and to be fair they sent a replacement  FOC. However this seems to be thin and doesn't cover as well as I'd hoped, plus broke up a bit when I tried, very carefully, to remove excess glue. I think in future I'll look older for pre-owned sheets at Shows (If there ever are any), and on Ebay.

John.

Fortunately I managed to pick up a few of the BR Blue era sheets secondhand a couple of years back at Expo EM, so will suit my Blue/Grey Cig. I've encountered the same register issue as well on some other sheets I bought brand new, but didn't think to contact HMRS.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On first seeing this thread I miss-read the title as -

Vanishing Southern Pride Models kits

- as looking on their web-site the other day, that's what most of them seem to have done from the range,

all the pre-printed side Mk1s except the TPOs

7 hours ago, Ken.W said:

- as looking on their web-site the other day, that's what most of them seem to have done from the range,

I noticed this as well - what a pity. I did start a thread on this in "Small Suppliers".

Apparently the range of etched brass sides is being expanded to compensate, including those rather odd prototype Mk1's and the XP64 stock.

John.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ken.W said:

I think it's been mentioned elsewhere that the pre-printed side kits were being discontinued a few years back. I was very lucky to get hold of my Blue/Grey one via a certain auction site. The reason I wanted to get hold of a Blue/Grey one is I have a distinct phobia of painting that livery....

I have just used a thin coat of Klear on a Mopok coach to enrichen the lower chocolate brown and give the printed sides a slight gloss finish. It worked as expected and also it has considerable success in removing slight superglue misting  (note that I said ‘slight’!). It has saved me a number of times in that department.

Tony

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2