Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

If you really want to shrink the cost of the Armed Services, reducing senior officer numbers would have a disproportionate effect.  Many of the costs of their additional entitlements grow in proportion to the number of individuals (e.g. childrens' private school fees) whereas reducing the number of junior ranks by 10% doesn't enable you to close 10% of a barracks, the gym or the canteen.

Now guess what ranks get to decide how Ministers' cost-saving plans will be implemented at the detailed level.

The Brigadier in charge of HR......

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, AndyID said:

It is an unenviable role but would you prefer someone like TFG?

I dread the thought of Britain as a republic.

Just think of any of the many odious, slimeball ex politicians, who would be jockeying for the top spot.

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Just think of any of the many odious, slimeball ex politicians, who would be jockeying for the top spot.

Some countries manage to have an elected  head of state that isn’t awful. I am not particularly a fan of hereditary titles or powers but I suspect that if the head of state post were to become electable the monarch of the day would probably get the job. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Some countries manage to have an elected  head of state that isn’t awful.

Typically the ones where the role is limited to:

-   Being nice, including to foreigners

-   Accepting new ambassadors' credentials

-   Ceremonial stuff.

Sounds like a job specification for Queenie/Kingie to me.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I was born 653 years to the day after Edward the second. How spooky is that?

I got married on the 753rd anniversary of the battle of Legnica. Since my wife had been teaching English in a teacher training college in Legnica, this formed the starting point of my speech as groom.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 12

We got married on the 37th anniversary of the Mariner 9 space probe launch to Mars

Mrs SM42 was born 11 years after Yuri Gagarin* completed his first orbit

I've felt like I've been living on another planet ever since, cos these ain't Earth rules

Andy

* also happens to be the nickname in the motherland for the ST44 / SM62 locomotive. 

Edited by SM42
  • Like 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

There's green...

20200902_161221.jpg.5bcd7b36d99adb0986755badef10a71d.jpg

...and there's green!

20200413_134421.jpg.2f96fe45749b437a5a5a5deb6bf7e83b.jpg

For those lucky enough to have a particular colour blindness they are all red 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I've just looked up online a page of who shares my birthday and since most of them are Youtubers, Rappers or young TV stars, I've heard of about 5% of them.

By the way, I'm not giving the date away as your date of birth is a rather important piece of personal data to a fraudster.  I recommend RMWebbers (whose names may be known to others) do NOT give away birthdays, even if your age is still not declared.  It's all part of the jigsaw the bad guys will play the long game to put together, because the rewards are worth the wait for them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 24/11/2022 at 14:25, Happy Hippo said:

VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda are the main component of the VAG group which also includes Cupra, Bentley, Lamborghini and Porsche.

All the groups vehicles (by size) ie Skoda Fabia/VW Polo/Audi A1/Seat Ibiza all share a common chassis and engine/gearbox combinations.

Prior to WWII, Skoda was considered a high end car brand.

Another brand that always got fun poked at it was Lada.

However, my brother in law and a few of his friends bought various Lada Niva for off road work in N Wales.

They were cheap, cheerful and just kept on going when more sophisticated vehicles declined to operate.

I've seen Lada Nivas at work in the FSU. Tough little lightweights with plenty of ground clearance. Real rot-boxes though and lacking in space inside. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I share a birthday with Ringo Starr and Bill Oddie. They are both older than me.

If you put 23 TNM'rs in a room there's a 50% chance that two of them will share the same birthday.

If you you could find 75 TNM'rs (😀) it's 99.9% likely that at least two of them will share the same birthday.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

If you put 23 TNM'rs in a room there's a 50% chance that two of them will share the same birthday.

If you you could find 75 TNM'rs (😀) it's 99.9% likely that at least two of them will share the same birthday.

In a university statistics class, the professor started a pool on whether there were two people with the same birthday.  Some students offered to bet ridiculous amounts that there weren't.

I resisted the impulse to ask, "Are the twins here today?"

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

I share a birthday with one of my brothers in law.  Nuff said.  However the thought of 23 TMM's in a room is more than mortal man can face with equanimity. 

Jamie 

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8