Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'd have a word with Ed, but be quick as he's shortly to go on terminal leave.

Is that terminal as in terminal or terminal as in your terminal.

Only asking in case its terminal.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Not enough terminal's
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Not if it's a BMW more like £350 for the pump and zillions for the labour. Cynical mau.

But it's not just any water pump. It's a water pump handmade by Bavarian artisans in the Black Forest.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Will they have the little plates they carried at first saying that they were the propertynof English Electric Leading co or wordscto that effect.  The fitst 4 tested over the S&C with a 19 coach test train.

Jamie

I saw them all as D400s, often double-headed, on weekend WCML electrification diversions via the S&C.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I saw them all as D400s, often double-headed, on weekend WCML electrification diversions via the S&C.

Including on 11th August 68 in my case yhough they were single headed then.

Jamie.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Will they have the little plates they carried at first saying that they were the propertynof English Electric Leading co or wordscto that effect.  The fitst 4 tested over the S&C with a 19 coach test train.

Jamie

I hope the make the proper sound.

"Oi! What's that terrible racket?"

"Nothing Honey. Just hoovering the railway room."

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Latest from the World Cup in Qatar... it seems that the "Crusader" outfits favoured by some England fans aren't received very well there. 

Who'd'a thunk it? 

I'm waiting for all the Players in the Final to come out wearing armbands - and if so much as one yellow card appears then they all walk off the field.

Though I suspect FIFA would wait until after the match before dishing out fines/punishment etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, polybear said:

I'm waiting for all the Players in the Final to come out wearing armbands - and if so much as one yellow card appears then they all walk off the field.

Though I suspect FIFA would wait until after the match before dishing out fines/punishment etc.

DON’T hold your breath!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Did I hear the Iranian team declined to sing their own National Anthem? Cue a number of inhumane executions when they fall out of the competition. 

Some years ago I was working in ME when Iran played USA in the World Cup. The joke going round was that the Iran team were on an incentive scheme; when they came home they would be guests at a public execution. If they beat USA it would be someone else's......

On a serious note, respect where it's due. Those chaps have to go back to Iran afterwards. It's not hard to strike virtuous poses when you face no meaningful sanctions and need never work again, financially speaking... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 13

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Where's Willie John McBride when you need him? Call 99!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, AndyID said:

But it's not just any water pump. It's a water pump handmade by Bavarian artisans in the Black Forest.

Many years ago I had a BMW525i automatic. It was a great car but one day the gearbox stopped connecting the engine to the road wheels, which was a bit of a snag, so a mate towed me to the nearest BMW main agent. He gave us a coffee each while one of the mechanics had a look to see what was wrong (imagine that today!) and the answer was that the torque converter was shot. He said that the best thing would be a new box as there was likely to be more damage from the bits that were floating about inside and then said, "We can fit you a new BMW box for £1,100 or a ZF one for £800." I asked him what the difference was and he said, "One's got BMW on the casing and the other one has ZF. They're the same otherwise." Guess which one I went for? When the job was done I asked whether as a BMW main agent he should have offered me the cheaper option to which he replied, "Probably not if they knew about it but I don't like people getting ripped off." I often wonder whether he was ever found out and, if so, what happened.

Dave

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Latest from the World Cup in Qatar... it seems that the "Crusader" outfits favoured by some England fans aren't received very well there. 

Who'd'a thunk it? 

Well, since they are unlikely to be able to get p!ssed out of their minds and annoy everyone as a consequence in Qatar, they have to do something mindlessly stupid to offend as many as they can. It is to be hoped that a fair number will end up viewing Qatar through iron bars but on reflection the Daily Fail and others of our enlightened press would probably scream foul, human rights abuse etc. and demand we send a gunboat.

Dave 

PS - I don't support the Qatari regime one iota but neither do I have any time for our so-called football fans who behave like tossers. 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 hours ago, br2975 said:

I'm now revelling in the possibility of this 1970s policing dinosaur pitting his wits against a millenial in uniform.

Watch this space for any further developments.

To be honest, I do feel a smidgen of pity for any purple haired millennial bobby coming up against a street wise and battle hardened copper like yourself.

I could well see you amusing yourself by quoting - chapter and verse- legislation from the 1890s (and never repealed) and then working your way up through the decades to 2001

If you can organise the video, I’ll organise the popcorn.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

"We can fit you a new BMW box for £1,100 or a ZF one for £800." I asked him what the difference was and he said, "One's got BMW on the casing and the other one has ZF. They're the same otherwise." Guess which one I went for? When the job was done I asked whether as a BMW main agent he should have offered me the cheaper option to which he replied, "Probably not if they knew about it but I don't like people getting ripped off." I often wonder whether he was ever found out and, if so, what happened.

Dave

Bear recalls reading a story (on RMWeb possibly) where someone's Dad went to the Skoda/VW Main Dealer in search of a new Air Filter for his VW Whatever.  The spares guy offers a genuine VW jobbie (in a VW Cardboard Box) for thirty quid, or exactly the same Filter but in a Skoda Cardboard Box for twenty quid.

"Oh no", says Daddy - "I want the genuine VW one....."

There's just no helping some people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear recalls reading a story (on RMWeb possibly) where someone's Dad went to the Skoda/VW Main Dealer in search of a new Air Filter for his VW Whatever.  The spares guy offers a genuine VW jobbie (in a VW Cardboard Box) for thirty quid, or exactly the same Filter but in a Skoda Cardboard Box for twenty quid.

"Oh no", says Daddy - "I want the genuine VW one....."

There's just no helping some people.

Speaking as a Skoda driver I can promise you that jokes like that are of purely historic interest. 

Skoda these days are a VW quality car at VW prices less a few %

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Well, since they are unlikely to be able to get p!ssed out of their minds and annoy everyone as a consequence in Qatar, they have to do something mindlessly stupid to offend as many as they can. It is to be hoped that a fair number will end up viewing Qatar through iron bars but on reflection the Daily Fail and others of our enlightened press would probably scream foul, human rights abuse etc. and demand we send a gunboat.

Dave 

PS - I don't support the Qatari regime one iota but neither do I have any time for our so-called football fans who behave like tossers. 

Everyone seems to be acting the fool in one form or another. There are players and reporters posturing over more than one issue which is guaranteed to offend the Qataris, and a main tournament sponsor being told to remove their product at a few days' notice. Their are reports of large numbers of supporters being unable to access the stadium because the ticket app doesn't work, and paying well over the top for accomodation which isn't even complete...

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Speaking as a Skoda driver I can promise you that jokes like that are of purely historic interest. 

Skoda these days are a VW quality car at VW prices less a few %

VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda are the main component of the VAG group which also includes Cupra, Bentley, Lamborghini and Porsche.

All the groups vehicles (by size) ie Skoda Fabia/VW Polo/Audi A1/Seat Ibiza all share a common chassis and engine/gearbox combinations.

Prior to WWII, Skoda was considered a high end car brand.

Another brand that always got fun poked at it was Lada.

However, my brother in law and a few of his friends bought various Lada Niva for off road work in N Wales.

They were cheap, cheerful and just kept on going when more sophisticated vehicles declined to operate.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, DenysW said:

Are you sure we've any left that we can afford to have put to sea?

I think the last proper gun boats were the Brave class fast patrol boats which served until circa 1970.

I always thought the RN dropped the ball when they disbanded the fleet of MTB and MGBs that comprised Coastal Forces and went down the big ship route.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3