Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's still sanding.  Wanna swap?

Bear.

I've got some of that to do too, so it would be out of the frying pan etc.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

My DIY task today should be really easy.(Hysterical laughter sound effects). Just running some flat Ethernet cable from the loft into some conduit in the study. Then lean out of the landing window to screw a security camera in place. I would have finished yesterday if we hadn’t had to spend hours convincing a major bank we were not terrorists or money laundering.  

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I see over in the T*rd and Po-juice thread, the self stimulated froth frenzy has stated over the announcement of a new loco today.

I had an email this morning from a major UK hobby shop that I sometimes deal with about a new class 50 in 00 due 4Q 2023, would that be the one?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I had an email this morning from a major UK hobby shop that I sometimes deal with about a new class 50 in 00 due 4Q 2023, would that be the one?

Yes it is.

About as much use to someone modelling in 7 mm scale as a chocolate teapot😂.

I'd much prefer the likes of an Ivatt Class 2 mogul, which would fit in very nicely if I were to suddenly switch to modelling the Midland Railway through Brecnock and Radnorshire.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Yes it is.

I'd much prefer the likes of an Ivatt Class 2 mogul, which would fit in very nicely if I were to suddenly switch to modelling the Midland Railway through Brecnock and Radnorshire.

Well, at least one could munch on it for a snack while waiting, waiting, waiting for the Dapol 66 to arrive! 😼

• Funny 8

6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I see over in the T*rd and Po-juice thread, the self stimulated froth frenzy has stated over the announcement of a new loco today.

I eagerly await the arrival of the Portuguese version (correct gauge naturally).

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Will they have the little plates they carried at first saying that they were the propertynof English Electric Leading co or wordscto that effect.  The fitst 4 tested over the S&C with a 19 coach test train.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Will they have the little plates they carried at first saying that they were the propertynof English Electric Leading co or wordscto that effect.  The fitst 4 tested over the S&C with a 19 coach test train.

Jamie

That would be the green version 🙂

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, br2975 said:

Some 'Night Mailers' may recall my recent post regarding our 'win' at the Swansea County Court following an almost year long struggle to obtain a £1,000 refund for a Christams event that didn't materialise.

Despite our 'winning' at the Swansea County Court, the defendant, the event organiser was still reluctant to pay up.

Immediately following the hearing, she 'refreshed and rebranded' her company, with a completely new name and new Facebook page.

It didn't take yours truly to find the new page, and post a precise of the wife's struggle, the court case, and a copy of the court order to each of her page's posts.

Despite another round of excuses, she has (grudgingly) paid up, in full, and the monies have been refunded to each of the 19 guests.

However, the 'defendant' could not accept defeat gracefully - and it appears she has reported me to the local police (my former employers) amking accusations of harassment.

I'm now revelling in the possibility of this 1970s policing dinosaur pitting his wits against a millenial in uniform.

Watch this space for any further developments.

Good luck Brian.  I hope that your encounter (if it happens) is as good as mine was.  A PW, no hat and jacket unbuttoned  appeared at our door demanding to know the whereabouts  of no 2 son.  I told her that I hadn't yot a clue, which I hadn't.   She them asked for his mobile number which I again didn't know as he used to lose his phone regularly.  She then threatened  me with arrest.  I asked her what her powers were and the act and section that she was going to use.  Off she trotted looking crestfallen, tail, metaphorically  between her legs.  I don't like being threatened  by an ignorant chancer.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 14

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, br2975 said:

However, the 'defendant' could not accept defeat gracefully - and it appears she has reported me to the local police (my former employers) amking accusations of harassment.

I'm now revelling in the possibility of this 1970s policing dinosaur pitting his wits against a millenial in uniform.

Watch this space for any further developments.

I'd have a word with Ed, but be quick as he's shortly to go on terminal leave.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2022 at 22:24, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Some months ago the Midland Railway Society chairman, secretary and collections committee chairman had a meeting with three officers of the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway; only one of those present was not called Dave.

Dave (who was one of those in the majority)

Sorry, yes, I should have said three of the principal officers...

What was the odd man out called? My money's on Chris.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good luck Brian. 

I don't like being threatened  by an ignorant chancer.

Thank you Jamie.

Your description is that of many officers I see, and hear today.

I wonder what they are told during training, and what form their supervision and management takes ?

Experience dictates that over the years,  "UK policing plc" has made a rod for its' own back by 'dumbing down' and trying to be 'all things to all men' - and is now reaping the rewards (or reaping the whirlwind)

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

At least you could eat a chocolate teapot.

Dave

Ah, just seen that our South Carolina correspondent beat me to the same thought process.

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Sorry, yes, I should have said three of the principal officers...

What was the odd man out called? My money's on Chris.

Sorry, I'm not good at remembering names.

Unless it's Dave of course.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
On 22/11/2022 at 21:24, Dave Hunt said:

it was discovered that the water pump was on its last legs so it has to be replaced. How much?????? 

Let me guess, the water pump is £50 and the rest is for the day's labour while the car is dismantled and reassembled, as seemingly the factory started with a water pump on the production line then built the entire car around it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

7 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Let me guess, the water pump is £50 and the rest is for the day's labour while the car is dismantled and reassembled, as seemingly the factory started with a water pump on the production line then built the entire car around it?

Not if it's a BMW more like £350 for the pump and zillions for the labour. Cynical mau.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2