Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

I too was born at home. I wonder how many TNMers were? Quite a lot I would think. Lorna was a NHS midwife (as in "Call The Midwife") before we went West. There does not seem to an equivalent in the US.

It's sometimes said that babies born at home do much better - we are obvious examples 😁

Of course, one of the downsides of being born at home is that, when you are a turbulent and tantrum inclined teenager, you can’t yell at your parents: “you’re not my real parents, you took the wrong baby home from the hospital

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Of course, one of the downsides of being born at home is that, when you are a turbulent and tantrum inclined teenager, you can’t yell at your parents: “you’re not my real parents, you took the wrong baby home from the hospital

And the parents miss out on the chance to say "We think you're right - we'll drop you off at the hospital on the way to Tesco's and you can sort it out yourself....."

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I'm going to get a complex soon.  Born in Carlisle Maternity Hospital, whilst my father and brother were travelling north up, Grayrigg bank hauled by a Clan.

That's a funny name your brother has, Grayrigg  Did it get shortened to Gray Clan

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

That's a funny name your brother has, Grayrigg  Did it get shortened to Gray Clan

I've called him much worse than that.  Howe, he stopped trying to bully me when I got taller and bigger than him.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

You were missed, Simon.

Morning world, windy once more, UK likely to be cut off from civilisation, usual stuff.  Slept late as totally knackered after little sleep over the last few days, usual broken skeleton stuff.

Now I have a little list, as Gilbert & Sullivan said, and if I don't complete it, I will be missed.  Or more likely late, as in the late NHN.

Edited by New Haven Neil
speelink
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Well I hope they Zoom the funeral as I won't be attending as i don't like going to strange places.

3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

You were missed, Simon.

Morning world, windy once more, UK likely to be cut off from civilisation, usual stuff.  Slept late as totally knackered after little sleep over the last few days, usual broken skeleton stuff.

Now I have a little list, as Gilbert & Sullivan said, and if I don't complete it, I will be missed.  Or more likely late, as in the late NHN.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I was born in a maternity home, which was I think some sort of midwife run establishment. My brother was born at home. I was sent away to stay with my grandparents for a few days. My brother really dislikes his given name but it was my choice. I had flatly refused to accept any possibility that my sibling would be female so had only suggested boys names. I am not totally sure he had ever realised it was my choice. I can’t think why he hated it, Peter isn’t an awful name to be saddled with. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I was born in a maternity home, which was I think some sort of midwife run establishment. My brother was born at home. I was sent away to stay with my grandparents for a few days. My brother really dislikes his given name but it was my choice. I had flatly refused to accept any possibility that my sibling would be female so had only suggested boys names. I am not totally sure he had ever realised it was my choice. I can’t think why he hated it, Peter isn’t an awful name to be saddled with. 

If I hated it that much he could always have changed it.

If I had my time again I'd change my surname to that of Momma Bear's maiden name/Grandad Bear's surname.  I really hate the idea of being named after B'sterd Bear.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I'm back after a short absence due to bathroom refit.

That sounds like a complicated urological surgical procedure to me

New ureters, new bladder, new urethral sphincter, new urethra - sounds expensive and painful (I hope you didn't get a cowboy outfit in to do it...)

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I can’t think why he hated it, Peter isn’t an awful name to be saddled with. 

I've run with 'Pete' since my early teens. In the late 90s the wife of a friend insisted on calling me 'Rocky'.  Thankfully it didn't catch on.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I've run with 'Pete' since my early teens. In the late 90s the wife of a friend insisted on calling me 'Rocky'.  Thankfully it didn't catch on.

My brother seems happy with Pete. I decided as an Anthony, I would be Tony when I left home to go to university. I was supposed to be be Phillip Anthony but Dad decided on the way to register me to swap the order. 
Tony

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

That sounds like a complicated urological surgical procedure to me

New ureters, new bladder, new urethral sphincter, new urethra - sounds expensive and painful (I hope you didn't get a cowboy outfit in to do it...)

I have had a kidney infection as well that is just clearing up after 2 courses of antibiotics 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

...snip... I can’t think why he hated it, Peter isn’t an awful name to be saddled with. 

1 hour ago, petethemole said:

I've run with 'Pete' since my early teens ...snip...

56 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My brother seems happy with Pete.  ...snip...

Mother wanted to name me "Peter" but did not want me to be called "Pete" so she named me "David". You can guess the result! 😺

• Like 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Mother wanted to name me "Peter" but did not want me to be called "Pete" so she named me "David". You can guess the result! 😺

So you became Dave, the well-known railway modeller.

I once persuaded my other half to come with me to the Warley show. She enjoyed the Gauge 1 live steam...

But being a compulsive reader she spotted in the programme that nearly the entire organising committee were called Dave.

The chairman of the model railway club I'm in is a Dave, as are two of the principal officers of the line society of which I'm a member.

• Like 4
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

ISTR there was someone at the House of Fun called Richard Head (yes, really).

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

You changed it to Johann Sebastian?

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The chairman of the model railway club I'm in is a Dave, as are two of the principal officers of the line society of which I'm a member.

Our spaniel was called Robbie. The veterinary nurse wondered why. I explained  part of his pedigree name was Ragged Robin and his breeder had called him Robin. I think dogs respond well to names ending eee so Robin became Robbie. I did say my son had been keen to call him “Dave”. The nurse said she was pleased as all Dave’s in her experience were very naughty. 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1