Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

The Dalwhinnie bottle  did have a little bit left in it when we finished the visit to my brother's yesterday evening.

Now off to a farmers market at the cultural centre of Cardiff, St Fagans Castle. 

Perhaps I could slip away unnoticed and get over to Aberflyarff for a second visit?

Although since my mother is accompanying us, it will probably take the two of us to keep her suitably restrained and under a modicum of control.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The Dalwhinnie bottle  did have a little bit left in it when we finished the visit to my brother's yesterday evening.

I trust you gave Hippo Juinor my regards ?

Now off to a farmers market at the cultural centre of Cardiff, St Fagans Castle. 

Located at the other end of my street, literally.

And, an outstanding place to vsit - entry free, only a car park fee to pay.

Perhaps I could slip away unnoticed and get over to Aberflyarff for a second visit?

Sadly, one is orf to Pontyclun around midday, for some Welsh League football, and time with the grandsons.

However, glad to report that whilst Hippo was being given a brief update and sneak viewing of Aberflyarff yesterday, I had a flash of Hippo induced inspiration which will now allow greater operational flexibility.

However, I should be in Monday............. recovering from tomorrow's excesses, predictably brought on by a 65th birthday bash at the Llandaff Institute.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SM42 said:

I was thinking a pair of goggles and hold onto the roof.  

Furry string tied between the roof rails as a hand hold / arrestor cable.

Anyway. Painting  done and I've been double jabbed so not long now before we play car Jenga. 

Andy

You'll regret it. There's nothing quite like being able to look your passenger in the eye as they pass you by on there skate board and see that glint of fear begin to form as they realise they have no control and there speed is increasing.

Breaking sharply so that your roof borne passenger goes shooting forward like a human shaped torpedo just doesn't have the same frison of fear to it.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Which reminds me, must order the Christmas bird!

Probably a good idea. About this time last year Aditi noticed that any of the turkey products she wanted from Waitrose or M&S were already sold out for Christmas delivery and there were concerns due to last years bird flu of shortages. . So she ordered a turkey crown from a turkey farm in Essex to be delivered on the day before Christmas Eve. This was from turkeys that normally were free range “as near to wild” as possible. Anyway it turned up and was rather larger than ordered. We had been warned of this as the farm had had a backlog due to shortage of staff. Anyway it was very nice. So, at Easter we had an email asking if we would like a frozen turkey at special offer price. We did but never got round to cooking it, so it is in the freezer for Christmas now. 
We also have a Christmas pudding lurking in a cupboard, I suspect that is fine too. So if sprouts are available in December we seem to be prepared for Christmas. 
Tony

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, AndyID said:

We had a bit of an ant infestation in the kitchen. They were actually coming to get water.

Some liquid ant bait seems to have done the trick. It took about four days but there are very few ants showing up now.

Five ants in Andy's garden met another five ants on the steps to Lorna's kitchen.

As it was getting winterish and decidedly nippy, they decideded to move in out of the cold.

Now they are Andy and Lorna's tenants.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

The farmers market at 'St Fagins'  consisted of the grand total of six small traders stands, and I'll wager none were farmers. Nyda bought two packets of tea and my mother a bag of Welsh cakes.  I kept my hands safely in my pockets.

On our return trip we called into the  wine merchant in Porthcawl and did some stocking up liquid supplies for Christmas.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Five ants in Andy's garden met another five ants on the steps to Lorna's kitchen.

As it was getting winterish and decidedly nippy, they decideded to move in out of the cold.

Now they are Andy and Lorna's tenants.

image.png.7df6ab5cf50ec8b1bc20128b1e3d45f3.png.367df2d6da57c18f26fb5224610c437f.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Talk of the skateboard trailer reminds me of a local guy who moved his 25 foot yacht a few years ago near here.  He modified its yard cradle with wheelbarrow wheels, the type with plastic centres, and off he went.  Got about three miles before the centres melted, (no bearings, just a metal sleeve in the plastic).  Then he tried to pull it 'just a liitle bit further' to a handy pull in on a corner.  It fell over. Fail. We did larf.

Oh how I hope the yacht insurers didn't pay out - and the Police nicked him.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Talk of the skateboard trailer reminds me of a local guy who moved his 25 foot yacht a few years ago near here.  He modified its yard cradle with wheelbarrow wheels, the type with plastic centres, and off he went.  Got about three miles before the centres melted, (no bearings, just a metal sleeve in the plastic).  Then he tried to pull it 'just a liitle bit further' to a handy pull in on a corner.  It fell over. Fail. We did larf.

Someone i know decided the best way to move a load of rubble to the tip was to fill the wheelie bin and tie it to the back of the car.

When they got to the tip, the bin was empty and minus both wheels and bottom  

Seem they are not rated for 70mph.

The car jenga was disappointing as most of what we needed was on line order only. 

So we had ample room without the need for skateboards, furry string nor goggles. 

Just got another 16ft of skirting and a door frame to paint and we can start putting furniture in place. 

I now also have a cupboard and table to build after today's outing. 

Another commando style raid has been suggested for things we (she) didn't think we ( she)  needed until we (she)  saw them. 

The effects of this mornings flu jab are also making themselves known.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

On our return trip we called into the  wine merchant in Porthcawl and did some stocking up liquid supplies for Christmas.

You use a wine merchant and not the local supermarket!

<Welsh accent>

Ddu mun there's posh

</Welsh accent>

Dave

Edited by Danemouth
spelling
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

You use a wine merchant and not the local supermarket!

<Welsh accent>

Ddu mun there's posh

</Welsh accent>

Dave

Only because my mother wanted to spoil Nyda and I.

But there's some lush dessert wine in the stuff we got look you.

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

<Welsh accent>

Ddu mun there's posh

</Welsh accent>

Also more expensive. Welsh minimum pricing for alcohol means that my Pontypridd daughter treats visits to her ancestral home in Leicester as a mini booze cruise.

Semi-related topic: the local (in Pontypridd) festival no longer bills itself as The Full Ponty. Sigh.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:
23 minutes ago, DenysW said:

her ancestral home in Leicester 

Now that is proper posh.

Visit Leicester. Multi-ethnic comes to the tongue a lot more readily than proper posh. Although the marble facing on the Jain temple on the inner ringroad and one of the Hindu temples on the middle ringroad do count. By 'ringroad' I mean route designated by planners to accept a lot of extra traffic without any extra investment. Like the South Circular in London.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

Someone i know decided the best way to move a load of rubble to the tip was to fill the wheelie bin and tie it to the back of the car.

When they got to the tip, the bin was empty and minus both wheels and bottom  

Seem they are not rated for 70mph.

That's the funniest thing I've read in ages 🤣

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Well everybody has to learn, it's just that some do it better than others.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I purchased my C*******s dinner this afternoon, well part of it. I'm not too smitten on turkey so I've settled on venison steak. I've had it before but last time I fried it but this time I'm going to braise it in the slow cooker. There's two steaks in the pack so if I braise both of them I have something for boxing day as well.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

RSTG  SYDDFDFCXKPOTO  XWT  PGNTWRXCTW,  CSTYW 

TXWO  XGN  GFOCWYEO  QEFOT  CF  JTTD  CST  RXCTW  FPC.

(From the New York Times this week.)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2