Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, polybear said:

Just how broken were they?

One Hunter returned to the manufacturers for rebuilding.

One Phantom repaired in situ at the Lutfwaffe base where I crashed it by a maintenance unit and BAe team.

One Tornado F3 repaired having been dismantled and taken back to the manufacturers.

There were some others that were only slightly bent.

Dave

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

47 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Which wing will be for the trains? I know,you did tell us but I have forgotten. 

The West. 

The East wing has to be done first to please another carbon based lifeform that wanders through the Towers from time to time

21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Just how broken were they?

And are we talking a Cessna 172 size wing, or an Airbus A380 wing?

Cessna 172 is probably closer. 

My name's not Jamie.

And lo, more cake arrives. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Jamie, do you mean that you can't undo the screws that hold the wheels on the axles or that you have undone the screws but the wheels still won't come off?

Dave

The set screws have come out without a problem.  Neither wheel will comevoff the axle though.  I couldn't find the penetrating oil to leave it soaking overnight. Sadly it was ladt put together by my late friend Tony Bond about 6 or 7 years ago.  I need to paint the frames and add the obstacle delectors or whatever they are called at the front end.  If all else fails i might reinsert the screw nearlynall thecway, make a support for the back of the wheel thst can rest over the jaws of the vice and tap the screw gently with a light hammer.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

The set screws have come out without a problem.  Neither wheel will comevoff the axle though.  I couldn't find the penetrating oil to leave it soaking overnight. Sadly it was ladt put together by my late friend Tony Bond about 6 or 7 years ago.  I need to paint the frames and add the obstacle delectors or whatever they are called at the front end.  If all else fails i might reinsert the screw nearlynall thecway, make a support for the back of the wheel thst can rest over the jaws of the vice and tap the screw gently with a light hammer.

Jamie

Is there any risk of the oil attacking the plastic wheel centre - I know not all oils (3 in 1 is one example I believe) are plastic-friendly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

I used to test/ repair radios, radar, sonar etc for the MoD, I felt old when I saw the same equipment in a museum and that was 20+ years ago!

I was glad to leave the defence industry for a number of reasons, but seeing equipment withdrawn when I'd been involved in its introduction, was certainly one that motivated me to look elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I realised that it was time to retire when I discovered that there were six aircraft in the RAF museum that I had flown - and I don't just mean aircraft types but actual airframes.

Dave

Are those the ones you didn't crash....? 😃

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

27 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

If they are like the ones described here http://jimmcgeown.com/Loco Kit Pages/Wheels Information.html  they should "wiggle" off the square ends of the the axles.

While holding the loco in a soft towel I'd try a very light tap with a very small hammer at the rim then again at 180 degrees from that spot then maybe again at 90 degrees. They say the plastic is "oil resistant" but I would not chance it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

I'm convinced most men really do experience the passage of time differently from women.  It's why too many men do go chasing after younger models, 

That's why I keep repairing my 06 plated BMW.  It's cheaper than trying to afford a younger model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

I'm convinced most men really do experience the passage of time differently from women.  It's why too many men do go chasing after younger models, 

I'm as old as the woman I feel - which makes me three years younger than I really am.

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

That's why I keep repairing my 06 plated BMW.  It's cheaper than trying to afford a younger model.

And it's almost impossible to find a replacement that's as practical or doesn't have a load of useless gimmicks you don't need and won't use but still pay for

Why is it when 19 inch wheels are standard on the one you want, you have to pay extra for more sensible ( and comfortable)  17 inch wheels only available on the same car but one trim level lower?

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Guard Irons, Jamie, Guard Irons.

I'd avoid wiggling the wheels, as the slight distortion it will create in the bosses will prevent the wheels from going on square and true

I don't believe they are an interference fit on the axles There should be a small amount of wiggle room. But if they are an interference fit they will have to be pressed off.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I was glad to leave the defence industry for a number of reasons, but seeing equipment withdrawn when I'd been involved in its introduction, was certainly one that motivated me to look elsewhere.

I sympathise.

It must have been a bittersweet moment when they decommissioned the last ballista….🤣

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Guard Irons, Jamie, Guard Irons.

I'd avoid wiggling the wheels, as the slight distortion it will create in the bosses will prevent the wheels from going on square and true

Yes I couldn't  think of the words last night but remembered  them in the early hours after nature's  alarm clock had woken me up telling me it was time to pump the bilges.

As to oil and plastic.   I might try using my hypodermic  oiler pen to drip a drop of penetrating oil into the centre of the wheel boss, which is brass.  The axle ends are a tight sliding fit with steel axle going into a brass box.  If the penetrating  oil doesn't  do the trick then i'll cut a slot for the axle in a bit of steel that will sit across the vice jaws then use a bit of steel bar filed square  as a mandrel thst I can tap though. Thst way I can avoid damaging the threads.  Thanks for all the advice.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

One Phantom repaired in situ at the Lutfwaffe base where I crashed it by a maintenance unit and BAe team.

One Tornado F3 repaired having been dismantled and taken back to the manufacturers.

Dave

A couple of Dave's early attempts:

image.png.00ebcdbba27f47af4eb082f35b8b4475.png

His dad fixed them with a bit of fresh Balsa strip and some tissue.....

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Northmoor said:

The system that a certain Bear worked on was in museums whilst still in-service; one of the very last jobs "The Three Musketeers" got up to was delivering some of that kit to a Museum - at least it didn't end up in a skip.

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Do Jet Jockeys have a No-Claims Bonus one wonders?

Incidentally, ISTR seeing a poster on the wall of a very large employer close to Lythams St. Annes (back in the late 80's/early 90's) stating that their insurance excess was £60K.  Ouch. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mate of mine used to be in the RAF, he was in a team that went around repairing, or if too big a job, recovering, aircraft that had been pranged.  He probably knew Dave.... 🤣

I wonder if your mate used to dish out Chrimbo Hampers to his best customers?

• Funny 10