Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, br2975 said:

Whilst a former South Wales Chief Constable  (now with The Met ) was busy wearing a 'thick vest' in order to understand 'hot flushes' and empathise with menopausal females.

He should have worn a condom under his cap to remind him what a dick head he was.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

On a more serious subject.  Has anyone got any idea as to how to get reluctant Slsters driving wheels off their axles without damaging anything.  I'm trying to get the chassis of a loco ready for painting.  The centre set screws have come out without any problem.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, coastalview said:

It has now been officially declared that I am "old".

We are spending a few nights in London and on the packed tube in the rush hour yesterday a young lady offered me one of the priority seats.....

Ageing is a strange thing.  I don’t know how it affects others but I don’t feel as if I am ageing at all  - I feel as if I am the same as I have always been. Until I try to do something silly that is.  But it’s strange, other than the number of candles on the cake, in my mind, I don’t feel I am getting any older.  I’m sure that there have been studies done into the psychology of this.   @iL Dottore will know.

Regarding train seats, just the other week  I stood to offer and older person my seat (it’s the way I was brought up) and Valerie said “sit down you fool, they are younger than you”.  It appears that now I am the old person.  I didn’t speak to her for the rest of the day, by the way. 

Edited by BoD
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

I my head I'm still 23 ( don't know why. It wasn't a particularly good year. Quite average really)

Mrs SM42 says I'm about 10. 

My creaking joints and eyesight say otherwise. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The man who probably persuaded my brother it was time to retire

The man who was uncomfortable at my second 'exit interview' especially as it took the force three attempts to get my 'Certficate of Service' correct - after all, I'd been a thorn in the managements side for nigh on 40 years.

I have to watch what I type, as the officer in question still lives down the road from me. . . . . . . . . .

Edited by br2975
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, BoD said:

Ageing is a strange thing.  I don’t know how it affects others but I don’t feel as if I am ageing at all  - I feel as if I am the same as I have always been. Until I try to do something silly that is.  But it’s strange, other than the number of candles on the cake, in my mind, I don’t feel I am getting any older.  I’m sure that there have been studies done into the psychology of this.   @iL Dottore will know.

Regarding train seats, just the other week  I stood to offer and older person my seat (it’s the way I was brought up) and Valerie said “sit down you fool, they are younger than you”.  It appears that now I am the old person.  I didn’t speak to her for the rest of the day, by the way. 

My head is 17, the body 63 going on 83. I was doing OK until 55, when it all went wrong.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I my head I'm still 23 ( don't know why. It wasn't a particularly good year. Quite average really)

Mrs SM42 says I'm about 10. 

My creaking joints and eyesight say otherwise. 

Andy

Bear can quite easily see himself being the same age as Polina's 20 or 30 years younger than himself; for some strange reason those very same Polina's don't quite see it the same way.  Turdycurses.

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Just now, New Haven Neil said:

My head is 17, the body 63 going on 83. I was doing OK until 55, when it all went wrong.

It was 58 for me, GP took one look and diagnosed 'high blood pressure' and 'late onset asthma'

Yesterday, my BP was 120 over 80, the result of my 'bloods' will come later.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
On 15/11/2022 at 19:12, br2975 said:

Remembrance-3.jpg

Not sure which is worse.......chap with sun in his eyes, chap checking his flies or chap doing the Hornpipe. 

Whichever the case may be, hardly their finest hour...........

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, BoD said:

Ageing is a strange thing.  I don’t know how it affects others but I don’t feel as if I am ageing at all  -

I 'm only aware of my age when

(i) I look in the mirror, and 

(ii) I fill in forms that ask for my age, as opposed to my date of birth.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Not sure which is worse.......chap with sun in his eyes, chap checking his flies or chap doing the Hornpipe. 

Whichever the case may be, hardly their finest hour...........

Or front, right - the bloke who must be 'left handed' 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear can quite easily see himself being the same age as Polina's 20 or 30 years younger than himself; for some strange reason those very same Polina's don't quite see it the same way.  Turdycurses.

I'm convinced most men really do experience the passage of time differently from women.  It's why too many men do go chasing after younger models, not realising how embarrassing they look at best and seriously creepy at worst.  Meanwhile women are all too aware of middle age and have a thriving multi-£Bn cosmetics industry helping draw their attention to every aspect of it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

On a more serious subject.  Has anyone got any idea as to how to get reluctant Slsters driving wheels off their axles without damaging anything.  I'm trying to get the chassis of a loco ready for painting.  The centre set screws have come out without any problem.

Jamie

Jamie, do you mean that you can't undo the screws that hold the wheels on the axles or that you have undone the screws but the wheels still won't come off?

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Fortified by cake, I am about to paint ( surprise surprise) the second coat on the last bit of the skirting in the East Wing. 

Save some touching in here and there, that will conclude works therein. 

Fortunately my early shift tomorrow has been replaced by a safety brief so I can have a lie in.  At least an extra hour. 

Andy

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Fortified by cake, I am about to paint ( surprise surprise) the second coat on the last bit of the skirting in the East Wing. 

Save some touching in here and there, that will conclude works therein. 

Fortunately my early shift tomorrow has been replaced by a safety brief so I can have a lie in.  At least an extra hour. 

Andy

Which wing will be for the trains? I know,you did tell us but I have forgotten. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, BoD said:

Ageing is a strange thing.  

Agreed. In my head I'm about 19 but in the mirror and in my attempts to get about I feel more like 99. The truth is I'm 75 and unfortunately the days when I really was 19 only seem a few years ago. Ho hum.....

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

1 hour ago, BoD said:

Have to agree, I still feel like I'm in my 30's in my head. It's when you run for a bus that your head tells  you to stop being so daft

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I will have to stop watching antiques programs. Many of the antiques shown I can remember being brand new.

I realised that it was time to retire when I discovered that there were six aircraft in the RAF museum that I had flown - and I don't just mean aircraft types but actual airframes.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

And I only ever broke three of them - and what's more, they could be repaired!

Dave

Just how broken were they?

23 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Which wing will be for the trains? I know, you did tell us but I have forgotten. 

And are we talking a Cessna 172 size wing, or an Airbus A380 wing?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4