Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Wasn’t he shot dead in the film and resurrected for the TV series?

PC.693 George Dixon, was shot by Tom Riley (Dirk Bogarde) in 'The Blue Lamp'.

Dixon was the creation of (later)  Labour Peer, Ted Willis 

I believe the 'actual' - 'blue lamp'  now hangs outside Paddington Green Police Station.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

So if you didn't get to spend it on loose living and the guvvmint didn't who did? Because I certainly didn't. We need to know so that we can ask for it back.

Ah, I didn't say that I didn't spend any of my money on loose living, just that the slice guvvmint took off me wasn't available. The amount I did spend and exactly how loosely I lived is, of course, subject to the official secrets act.

Dave

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Ah, I didn't say that I didn't spend any of my money on loose living, just that the slice guvvmint took off me wasn't available. The amount I did spend and exactly how loosely I lived is, of course, subject to the official secrets act.

Dave

So a cover up. I want my money back. If I say pretty please.....

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, bbishop said:

Actually, accessing the Torygraph website, it would appear Hunt is after the money that Higher Rate Taxpayers divert into their pension pot.

I would just like to point out that I am not related to the current chancellor and any money that he collects will not be available for the purchase of cake and whisky to be distributed to TNMers. More's the pity.

Dave 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Along with our former drill pig at Wakefield the late and much missed Tommy Butler.

And my 'drill pig' at the No.8 PTC, Cwmbran - the late Gwyn Michael ( North Wales ) - a wonderful man, pictured here with his daughter.

"You march like a Russian general from Kurdistan, I'll call you Rolleyovitch !"

"You march like a windmill with epilepsy - I will not allow you to desecrate my parade square during the next passing out parade - you can wander the car park, sucking up to the dignitaries - you have the makings of an arse licker !"

Gwyn Michael.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, br2975 said:

And my 'drill pig' at the No.8 PTC, Cwmbran - the late Gwyn Michael ( North Wales ) - a wonderful man, pictured here with his daughter.

"You march like a Russian general from Kurdistan, I'll call you Rolleyovitch !"

"You march like a windmill with epilepsy - I will not allow you to desecrate my parade square during the next passing out parade - you can wander the car park, sucking up to the dignitaries - you have the makings of an arse licker !"

Gwyn Michael.jpg

Ex. - Army by any chance?

Jeez, if he came out with lines like that now then the poor little Recruits would all be going off with PTSD and claiming Compo - and he'd be up in front of the Ch. Super & HR.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

16 minutes ago, polybear said:

Jeez, if he came out with lines like that now then the poor little Recruits would all be going off with PTSD and claiming Compo - and he'd be up in front of the Ch. Super & HR.

I believe so.

If you think that was bad, our other 'drill pig' - Jim Young ( Gwent ) was just as scathing, but a gent with it.

Jim also doubled as the PTI and whilst we were lifesaving training in the pool one day shouted at an Avon & Somerset  WPC  "If you are drowning those puppies, I'll have the two with the pink noses !"

She didn't last long anyway......................

• Funny 9

3 hours ago, br2975 said:

However, first place in this year's  Police Embarrassment Awards goes to South Yorkshire Police, Doncaster.

Remembrance-3.jpg

" Have you taken the photo yet?"

Andy

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I remember that after my retinal tear, I was not allowed to use machines that created a lot of vibration.

Just take the batteries out. Problem solved.

Allegedly.

Edited by newbryford
accuracy.
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

No, sorry, you'd only spend it on loose living....

Dave

As I didn't get the opportunity to engage in that sort of behaviour the first time what makes you think I would have opportunity now - as I'm old, jaded and cynical - just not necessarily in that order or all at the same time.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Just take the batteries out. Problem solved.

That's a bit intrusive don't you think. What HH gets up to with Mrs HH behind closed doors is n one of r business just so. long at it stays there is all that we're concerned about. Anyway as a dexitorious incapacited Hippo we should be showing some simplify to poor HH.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

That's a bit intrusive don't you think. What HH gets up to with Mrs HH behind closed doors is n one of r business just so. long at it stays there is all that we're concerned about. Anyway as a dexitorious incapacited Hippo we should be showing some simplify to poor HH.

It's only intrusive, if that's the way your mind works..........!

😃

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I haven't worked for money since July 2002. 

I’ve never worked for money!

For luxury travel to exotic locations, four-star hotel accommodation and free meals at great restaurants, yes, but never money.

Quite how a Swiss bank account in my name appeared remains a mystery to me!

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

7 hours ago, polybear said:

I recently saw a photographic meme on the Internet (can’t remember where) which was along the lines of the following:

Two pictures of very young men crying: one, a photo of a young man in a torn and stained battledress from the Second World War and the other a photo of a pink haired, tattooed and pierced “student“ from 2022. The caption was (and I paraphrase, because I can’t remember the exact wording) “the boy on the left is crying because he is the sole survivor of a tank taken out by a German Tiger tank, the boy on the right is crying because someone used the wrong pronoun

Says it all really

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I recently saw a photographic meme on the Internet (can’t remember where) which was along the lines of the following:

Two pictures of very young men crying: one, a photo of a young man in a torn and stained battledress from the Second World War and the other a photo of a pink haired, tattooed and pierced “student“ from 2022. The caption was (and I paraphrase, because I can’t remember the exact wording) “the boy on the left is crying because he is the sole survivor of a tank taken out by a German Tiger tank, the boy on the right is crying because someone used the wrong pronoun

Says it all really

Sadly some of it is true yet let's not forget that the average age of those 8 Guardsmen who carried the Queen's  coffin was I believe about 19.   Fortunately  there are still some good ones around, they just don't make good front pages.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 4

Compare and contrast some of the earlier pictures with those from nearby Northants Police. The Chief Constable Nick Adderley is ex-Royal Navy (and wears the South Atlantic Medal). I assume the officers pictured in non-standard headgear are ex-military wearing the berets of their former units.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 5 C said:

Compare and contrast some of the earlier pictures with those from nearby Northants Police. The Chief Constable Nick Adderley is ex-Royal Navy (and wears the South Atlantic Medal). I assume the officers pictured in non-standard headgear are ex-military wearing the berets of their former units.

Notice also the quality of the 'bulling' on their boots.

A lot of pride there.👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Today's mighty groan comes from the tale of Richard Potato, an ambitious politician who went on to become...

The Dictator

I might just give up on the day and go back to bed after that. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1