Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ashcombe said:

Good morning from a wild, wet and windy Torbay!

A few days ago, olddudders hinted that you chaps would appreciate hearing a few lines from me! I guess it would allay any doubts as to my existence and enable me to give you some insight into being the “cared for” rather than the carer! 

We’ve had what amounts to a lie-in for us, with sleeping until after 6.00 a.m. when we’ve routinely been having TIB any time from 4.00a.m. Certainly that was my best night since being in hospital! Poor olddudders has to make all the hot drinks until I’m allowed to lift the weight of a kettle, once my chest has fully healed. (Finding the travel kettle would be a good idea!)

A later bedtime has made a difference. Olddudders was a Front of House steward last night for our latest theatrical production: Ladies’ Day, which was well received, apparently. I was glad he could enjoy a break from his caring duties whilst I had a catch up call with a lovely friend from my Staffordshire days, with whom I appeared on stage many times back in the day. 

I’ve enjoyed reading through the recent pages and recognising many names here from my days of contributing regularly.
All the best!

Sherry 

Luckily I had a shower before opening ERs this morning.

Lovely to hear from you.

Don't rush things, especially lifting heavy things.

I remember that after my retinal tear, I was not allowed to use machines that created a lot of vibration.

No vacuuming around the house for 6 months was brilliant until Nyda noticed I was quite ok to use the majority of my power tools. 

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AndyID said:

I confess to having a variety of saws for wood and metal but it always seems to be a bit of a burglar to cut sheet metal. Accordingly I've ordered one of these:

https://www.vevor.com/plate-shear-c_10810/12-300mm-hand-shear-cutting-sheet-metal-bar-shears-adjustable-clamp-benchtop-p_010582733769?utm_source=email_sys&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=en_US_orderDelivery_2022-11-15-08:51:49

(There are also smaller ones.)

It does seem a bit too inexpensive but we'll see how it goes. Some reviews say they are a load of crepe but others say they are great if you can spend time tuning them up a bit. One guy complained to their customer service and they just sent him a replacement and didn't want the first one back.

They do seem to be available in the UK. There's a lot of other stuff too.

I have a similar, but more elderly machine.

It's very good and has a pair of drop down guards to prevent what's left of your fingers getting nipped

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

That is true in some countries but fortunately not in the former EU.  Pension uprating is now enshrined in the Withdrawal Agreement.  I can't remember  which other countries get uprated though. I think that they sre mainly Commonwealth  ones.

Jamie

Almost exactly the opposite! Very few Commonwealth countries are uprated, and none of the major ones e.g. Australia, Canada, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa.

Here’s the list of countries uprated:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/state-pensions-annual-increases-if-you-live-abroad/countries-where-we-pay-an-annual-increase-in-the-state-pension

If you live in a country not on the list, but visit one on the list, you can apply to have your pension paid at the current uprated value for the time you’re visiting. There is another list though - of countries where, even though they are uprated, this temporary updating will not be applied. Prominent on that list is the USA.

These are facts. I will not add any comments. 😡😡😡

Edited by pH
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

Please do try to keep-up old bear. I suggested that a couple of weeks ago 😀

Hmmm.....Bear is obviously suffering from a distinct lack of Vitamin C......

Cake Tin here I come.....Yippee.....

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Bet that's a temptation!

A certain Bear actually missed out on that one.  Mind you, I was on Gardening Leave, sorry, "Authorised Absence, Paid" for the last few weeks so it would've been kinda pointless anyway.

1 hour ago, pH said:

Almost exactly the opposite! Very few Commonwealth countries are uprated, and none of the major ones e.g. Australia, Canada, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/state-pensions-annual-increases-if-you-live-abroad/countries-where-we-pay-an-annual-increase-in-the-state-pension

If you live in a country not on the list, but visit one on the list, you can apply to have your pension paid at the current uprated value for the time you’re visiting. There is another list though - of countries where, even though they are uprated, this temporary updating will not be applied. Prominent on that list is the USA.

Bear notes a distinct lack of Australia on either list too....

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pH said:

Thanks for that. I must tryband keep up.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

It's still plurting down here, and I have to leave the shelter of the house to do good deeds around the perimeter of the Hippodrome.

First on the list is finding the packet of slide chairs that I know I have somewhere.

But is that somewhere in the workshop or the garage, and if so where in those establishments?

It would probably be quicker to drive to Devon and pick up a pack from Pecorama's shop😂.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

19 days inc to day working left😀

Where's the jealous button?

I'm still in that too young ( and poor)  to retire, too old to move on  window. 

Having said that the countdown clock is ticking. It's got a few more than 19 days on it though.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 13

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

19 days inc to day working left😀

I always imagine you posting those updates with a happy giggle 😃

As for pensions, having received my first payment in May this year, and having paid in for 40 years, I think I need to hang on until age 106 for my golden day. Don't fancy my chances, somehow!

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

First pension 12 years till I pass the number of years paid into it and I'm 5 into that

Second pension, 13 years till I pass the number of years paid into it and it starts shortly..

Third pension, 10 years till I pass the number of years I paid into it and it starts the end of next year. State pension 41 years, till I pass the number of years I paid into it, it starts the end of next year and I would be 107 so there's not a lot of chance of passing that date ...

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I haven't worked for money since July 2002.  For various reasons the government  paid my stamp till I was 65. Thus I paid NI contributions for only 29 years. Thus I should be in credit for both pensions at the ripe old age of 78.  That's an interesting thougt.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

41 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A very astute observation.

Theoretically, I can get slightly closer than previously before I put my neatly trimmed digits at risk. 

Ah yes but you have to be careful that you don't end up losing more than what you gain with that approach. The loss to gain ratio I believe it's called and you have already lost and not gained much in return.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, polybear said:

Incidentally, ISTR it used to be that those entitled to the UK "Old-Age Pension" but have deserted these shores for other countries (can't imagine why 🤣) get that Pension but never receive any yearly uplifts - it was fixed at a certain rate for life.  Is this still the case?

I understand it varies country by country and depends on bilateral agreements. So Canada or South Africa - tough luck. USA, get the increments. The Daily Express has a rant on this subject whenever news is quiet.

Edited by DenysW
Opps. Add apologies to all more thorough versions of the same comment, above.
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, DenysW said:

I understand it varies country by country and depends on bilateral agreements. So Canada or South Africa - tough luck. USA, get the increments. The Daily Express has a rant on this subject whenever news is quiet.

I wasn't going to mention that USA has a reciprocal agreement as it would only wind up pH again 😀

• Funny 6

1 minute ago, AndyID said:

I wasn't going to mention that USA has a reciprocal agreement as it would only wind up pH again 😀

You can go off folk, you know!

That page with the list of countries which are uprated has this sentence after the lists:

“The UK has social security agreements with Canada and New Zealand, but you cannot get a yearly increase in your UK State Pension if you live in either of those countries.”

- no explanation.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

34 minutes ago, pH said:

You can go off folk, you know!

That page with the list of countries which are uprated has this sentence after the lists:

“The UK has social security agreements with Canada and New Zealand, but you cannot get a yearly increase in your UK State Pension if you live in either of those countries.”

- no explanation.

Presumably the decisions were based on the costs associated with the numbers of migrants. The US/UK numbers are probably not much different unlike UK/Canada. Or was it nothing like that?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Is it just me, is it my age, or is it that my standards are those of yesterday ?

The solemnity of Remembrance  was instilled in me by grandparents and parents.

Does my former employer, South Wales Police, consider its officer and PCSOs grinning and posing for a group 'selfie' in front of my local Cenotaph (Llandaff) a means of 'showing respect' to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice ?

Personally, I think not. 

Remembrance-1.jpg

Remembrance-2.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

41 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Presumably the decisions were based on the costs associated with the numbers of migrants. The US/UK numbers are probably not much different unlike UK/Canada. Or was it nothing like that?

I would assume, as you say, that the imbalance of potential costs between the UK and Commonwealth countries is the major reason for not uprating. It does mean that, in some cases, the country in which the pensioner is living has to provide resources to support a UK pensioner when their frozen UK pension is not sufficient.

Also to be taken into account is the fact that emigrants from the UK can no longer vote in UK elections once they have been out of the country for 15 years, despite retaining UK citizenship in many cases. I’m not saying that’s wrong - residents are paying taxes and so have the right to have their interests represented before those of non-residents. But it means that politicians have no political need to consider concerns of non-residents. (To misquote a well-known slogan “No representation without taxation”.)

I hope this hasn’t strayed too far into a forbidden subject.

Edited by pH
I knew I’d missed something I meant to include.
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

44 minutes ago, pH said:

No representation without taxation

But not always the other way around, even so. I was taxed** without representation* in the USA for 11 years or so, despite their General Washington being, I understand, very hot on that topic.

* or jury duty. On balance I considered this a fair trade-off, both then and now.

** including social security payments. These are now providing a pension - by the time I include the unexpected pension to SWMBO - for 11 years-worth of contributions greater than the UK is coming up with for 35 years of contributions. SWMBO did not pay US social security - for visa reasons she was not employable, but still gets a US pension! 

Edited by DenysW
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

17 minutes ago, DenysW said:

But not always the other way around, even so. I was taxed** without representation* in the USA for 11 years or so, despite their General Washington being, I understand, very hot on that topic.

* or jury duty. On balance I considered this a fair trade-off, both then and now.

** including social security payments. These are now providing a pension - by the time I include the unexpected pension to SWMBO - for 11 years-worth of contributions greater than the UK is coming up with for 35 years of contributions. SWMBO did not pay US social security - for visa reasons she was not employable, but still gets a US pension! 

As we are both "naturalized" (no longer unnatural?) we have to pay income tax to the US regardless of where we live. The only way to get out of it is to renounce US citizenship (or croak).

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4