Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

41 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Someone needs to take you in hand, Jamie. You can’t just palm us off with the same old tired puns, you need to get your finger out, do some reading so that next time you can make a decent fist of it!

But does HH really didg it?

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

I'll wimp out of the punning game but readers might like to see a photo of my birthday present from Beth.

PA292726.JPG.9e159bfd877f1922f4f2c2a13088829c.JPG

It's and SNCF lantern that she found somewhere.  I suspect it' runs on r=paraffin or petrole as it's called here but appears to have a tank on the rear as well as in the base.  As a result, I'm not sure how to use it but plan to take it to Ruffec station and have a chat with the Chef du gare. If Ican get it to work it would be great.   It would nicely complement my 1930's miners safety lamp.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a MIG Welder.......

Mr Lincoln has performed very well over the years (and I even got a substantial price reduction because he had been dropped in transit which distorted his undercarriage but made no difference to his operation.)

So far he has been involved in the construction of two snowplows, a snow-blower, a fork lift for the tractor (for lifting logs), a log splitter, tow hitches for the tractor (front and rear), a jig for converting railway sleepers into stairs and quite a few other bits and pieces. I probably got my money's worth 😀

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

12 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I'll wimp out of the punning game but readers might like to see a photo of my birthday present from Beth.

It's and SNCF lantern that she found somewhere.  I suspect it' runs on r=paraffin or petrole as it's called here but appears to have a tank on the rear as well as in the base.  As a result, I'm not sure how to use it but plan to take it to Ruffec station and have a chat with the Chef du gare. If Ican get it to work it would be great.   It would nicely complement my 1930's miners safety lamp.

Jamie

Wicked!

😀

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

.................it but plan to take it to Ruffec station and have a chat with the Chef du gare.

Chef du Gare to Jamie:

".....that's the one that was nicked last Thursday!!" 

• Funny 19

24 minutes ago, polybear said:

Chef du Gare to Jamie:

".....that's the one that was nicked last Thursday!!" 

You can see the headlines now can't you ' Villages rocked by arrest  of Brit ex-cop'  He says he's been framed. Gendarmerie looking for his female açomplice. One of his neighbours Madam Fanny, 80 said  thez knobs were flashing'

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

I run my Brake van lamp on citronella oil. It burns well and keeps the midges at bay.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Ukrainian farmers may have a couple for sale along with various armoured vehicles. One owner some damage perhaps 

They can even offer a choice of one careful sorry, careless owner examples; they have a special offer on at the moment - a large drum of T-Cut with every one purchased...

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/03/list-of-aircraft-losses-during-2022.html

(Bear would bet a VERY large slice of LDC that various examples of Aircraft black boxes have found their way Westwards and are currently being closely examined by "interested parties")

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, polybear said:

(Bear would bet a VERY large slice of LDC that various examples of Aircraft black boxes have found their way Westwards and are currently being closely examined by "interested parties")

When I was based in BAOR we used to get occasional visits from an American 'demonstration' unit which had a number of  (then) current tanks, APCs and soft skinned vehicles.  Also on display were various small arms and light artillery items and AAA assets.

We presumed that a lot of this stuff was courtesy of the Israelis.

We also came to the conclusion that to fit into his 'seat', a T62 tank gunner had to be recruited from a family of one legged dwarves.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Sunshine and showers but the day looks bright!

Good news Ian.  Hope it stays that way and Sherry continues to make good progress.

• Like 1
  • Agree 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Aircraft Radars are also of interest, any bits intact will be looked at with great interest.

The biggest RAF station has  / had a collection of ground radars "acquired"  for our aircraft to play against...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I suspect a bit later all the stuff that former Warsaw Pact forces had once they joined NATO was also available. It seem that former Russian stuff is now helping the Ukrainian forces as well as that donated by farmers. 

• Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

T62 tank gunner had to be recruited from a family of one legged dwarves.

My Dad said he felt being a person of small stature he was at an advantage getting out of tanks in a hurry. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Make your deadline Sunday, as Monday will be a write off....

I've allowed for that. 

I'm moving stuff about and getting ready for masking up to start tomorrow. 

Then ots down to sanding and filling the imperfections and then getting some paint on

Hopefully by tomorrow evening I will be waiting for paint to dry.

Second coats on Thursday and Friday. Contingency day Saturday. 

If all goes well I'll be on skirting painting  on Saturday 

Andy

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

When I was based in BAOR we used to get occasional visits from an American 'demonstration' unit which had a number of  (then) current tanks, APCs and soft skinned vehicles.  Also on display were various small arms and light artillery items and AAA assets.

We also came to the conclusion that to fit into his 'seat', a T62 tank gunner had to be recruited from a family of one legged dwarves.

I'd heard something similar about one of the Russian tanks that the loader had to be a left hander of 5' or under so any conscript who fitted that description automatically  went to a tank unit.  Perhaps it was the shortage of such recruits that made them fit the auto loader with shells in a ring round the turret. These are proving a tad troublesome  in Ukraine.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I'd heard something similar about one of the Russian tanks that the loader had to be a left hander of 5' or under so any conscript who fitted that description automatically  went to a tank unit.  Perhaps it was the shortage of such recruits that made them fit the auto loader with shells in a ring round the turret. These are proving a tad troublesome  in Ukraine.

Jamie

Not to the Ukrainians.....

• Agree 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

They can even offer a choice of one careful sorry, careless owner examples; they have a special offer on at the moment - a large drum of T-Cut with every one purchased...

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/03/list-of-aircraft-losses-during-2022.html

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I suspect a bit later all the stuff that former Warsaw Pact forces had once they joined NATO was also available. It seem that former Russian stuff is now helping the Ukrainian forces as well as that donated by farmers. 

I wonder if the Russians 'sanitised' anything provided to client nations as the Americans do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The Ukrainians have captured so much Russian equipment that they have more than that provided by NATO. Apparently the tactic is during a Russian withdrawal is to target the equipment  but leave any retreating on foot alone. The result is a lot of abandoned equipment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3