Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, polybear said:

Just what is a surplus Model Railway Collection exactly?

In my case its the bottom drawer in the spare room. 

And the couple of boxes in the corner of the bedroom. 

And the box on the landing. 

I may get round to letting it go eventually. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, polybear said:

I've been amazed to find some of my collection was surplus, when I was honest enough with myself to realise that since building layout #1 was going to take five years, #5 on the list wasn't likely until I'm well past retirement so the value of the small collection of rolling stock for it would be better reinvested elsewhere.

The other answer is probably going to be found on eBay over the coming months as the cost of living hits a lot of people who started building collections during lockdown, similarly realised they aren't progressing very far and need to generate some much-needed cash quickly.

• Agree 4

56 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Not as many as Hastings. 

The world record for the most pirates in one place was hotly contested but Hastings beat Penzance by a short yard-arm 

Penzance managed a few hundred fewer. 

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-gathering-of-pirates

So G&S got it wrong then. But somehow "The Pirates Of Hastings" doesn't quite have the same ring to it 😀

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

So G&S got it wrong then. But somehow "The Pirates Of Hastings" doesn't quite have the same ring to it 😀

They got  it right. 

It's  not called " The Record Breaking Number of Pirates of Penzance"

Andy

• Agree 2
  • Funny 8

20 minutes ago, polybear said:

I never realized there was such a thing. I've been  carting the two coaches that came with the first Tri-ang suburban set about 64 years ago. So far they've been in two continents including four US states.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

On flying to Indonesia, one of my most memorable flying experiences was on an Air France flight from Jakarta to Paris. An old dear squatted down in the aisle and squeezed out a curler, the poor old woman had probably been sat in agony trying to hold it in until Paris in ignorance of the fact that planes are fitted with bogs. The attendants dealt with it very well, it was obvious that the lady in question was not familiar with air travel and the amenities available.

Was this a Francais curler, or an Indo curler?

Askin' for a friend.....

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Is no.22 the same design/age as the original Snaefell Mountain Railway cars (except in 3' instead of 3'6" gauge)?

They're all Milnes products, Winter saloon 22 is 1899 (but has newer Brill trucks rather than the Milnes plate frame ones) the Snaefell cars are 1895 but they have quite a history, one is a total rebuild after a fire and doesn't have a clerestory, Car 3 we don't talk about currently, and the trucks are new frames with electrical gear from Aachen trams in Germany!  There is great similarity as a result, but they're not the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SM42 said:

In my case its the bottom drawer in the spare room. 

And the couple of boxes in the corner of the bedroom. 

And the box on the landing. 

I may get round to letting it go eventually. 

Andy

As little as that?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Steam locos...

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Non BR(W) stuff.

Anything that isn't a Paneer or a 4-6-0 then?

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

11 hours ago, polybear said:

I think it is something that is situational. e.g. for a LMS modeller, two GWR Toad brake vans constitute a surplus Model Railway collection, whereas - for the same modeller - 800 LMS items are barely enough

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Bon journée from a sunny Charente Maritime.  I have been folowing for the last few days as I was otherwise engaged as the counter on the age clock turned over both wheels.  Many goid things came out of that event.  21 bottles of assorted alcofrolic beverages and surplus LDC.  Both are being consumed.  Beth was the star of the show with her parody version of Dusty Springfields song.

This went down a storm but I had to explain the railway references  to our French friends and neighbours who were among the 60+ peop,e in the village hall.  The reference to under the stairs relste to the day that I met Beth. She came to my house that evening and as well as the pushbike in the kitchen, she saw two boards of a ne er completed layout based on Woodlesford,  she then saw my specially built modelling bench under the stairs.  There were completed models on the front room windowsill.  Things have not changed.  

The birthday cards included several railway related ones and one gift was a Pirate Models kit of a Ford Model T railway delivery van.  It has LNWR transfers in it so I just need to find out what colour to paint it  it can be on the roadway on Green Ayre.  An Amazon voucher has been used to buy a new Dremel.

Anyway things are moving in the house and the domestic authorities  have surfaced so I will say À bientot.

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2