Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Twinned with Southend on Sea. It’s a pier thing.

Does Southend have a Grand Hotel that isn't that grand anymore too?

I forgot to mention  that if you want mountains head south to Zakopane or Karpacz.  Zakopane just edges it in my opinion for what else is close by

Lakes? Head to Mazury, over on the rigjt between Warszawa and Elblag. 

Forest walks and the chance to bump into an ursine relative, aim for Biesczady in the bottom right corner.

Coal mines? It has to be Katowice and the cities around that area.

Cakes? Anywhere with a large supermarket or indeed a branch of Sowa or Kandulski. 

Other cake emporia are avaliable 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Does Southend have a Grand Hotel that isn't that grand anymore too?

Whatever the hotels are called in Southend they are not particularly grand. Some may have been once. The one near the pier looks quite smart but the interior didn’t look so good when we went to see a film there at the Southend Film Festival a few years ago. It wasn’t exactly Cannes or Venice, and the film was from the late 1940s with subtitles so that makes it a cultural,experience. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Other cake emporia are avaliable 

My son never mentioned cakes on his trips to Poland. He did mention milk bars which seemed to sell everything except milk. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Not just a loco with a pantechnicon, but a Geordie accent too (whyeye).  I 'need' one of course, but the price...oof (haddaway man).  But that is what it is, and an indicator of the future costings I fear. (bu££er).

Each one is to come with its own fog. Cue song.....

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Not just a loco with a pantechnicon, but a Geordie accent too (whyeye).  I 'need' one of course, but the price...oof (haddaway man).  But that is what it is, and an indicator of the future costings I fear. (bu££er).

Each one is to come with its own fog. Cue song.....

Bear has absolutely no need or justification for such a loco - but I'm rather taken by it.  Until I saw the price......

Bluddy Hell, that's sixty quid more than the Deltic.  It's not that long ago when I considered anything over the ton was an expensive choo choo.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, polybear said:

A slight mishtayke there methinks.....🤣

Ahh the comical joys of autocorrect

38 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My son never mentioned cakes on his trips to Poland. He did mention milk bars which seemed to sell everything except milk. 

The Bar Mleczny.

A place to get a cheap and reasonably hearty meal for not much cash. 

Order at the bar. Sit down and wait for your order to be called out for collection from the bar. 

You have to keep your wits about you and your ears open and tuned to what you ordered. 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

It appears that Jerry Lee Lewis - he of the Great Balls of Fire - has passed away.  

Jerry Lee Lewis, the notorious singer behind Great Balls of Fire, has died aged 87, his agent has confirmed.

One of the last survivors of rock 'n' roll's golden age, his life was also marred by scandal and violence.

His career was briefly halted when, aged 22, he married his 13-year-old cousin Myra Gale Brown.

Lewis's agent described him as "perhaps the last true, great icon of the birth of rock'n'roll".

Lewis passed away at his home in Desoto County, Mississippi, with his seventh wife, Judith, by his side, his publicist said.

Seventh wife?  Tragedy can strike as can the loss of love.  Many of us, myself included, have had more than one "life partner" for various reasons.  Even for someone who stunned even the allegedly debauched rock'n'roll world by marrying a 13 year old achieving seven wives across 55 years is something one wouldn't necessarily be proud of.  

RIP buddy.  What ever else you got up to you brought some class music to those prepared to listen.  And I still have some of the original singles.  

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear has absolutely no need or justification for such a loco - but I'm rather taken by it.  Until I saw the price......

It is a sign of things to come.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
On 28/10/2022 at 16:08, Gwiwer said:

It appears that Jerry Lee Lewis - he of the Great Balls of Fire - has passed away.  

This has now been officially denied.

The denial was of a previous report this week.

Edited by BR60103
oops
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

This has now been officially denied.

There was a hoax announcement a few days ago, but it seems that the news now is the real deal; the BBC News website are running the story too.

• Agree 6

10 minutes ago, polybear said:

There was a hoax announcement a few days ago, but it seems that the news now is the real deal; the BBC News website are running the story too.

Phew! As long as it wasn't me.

• Funny 7

1 minute ago, AndyID said:

Phew! As long as it wasn't me.

Speaking of which I'm planning to go skiing again with my Canadian pal at Aspen in January. Some might consider this to be just bluddy silly at my age and they'd probably be right 😀

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Speaking of which I'm planning to go skiing again with my Canadian pal at Aspen in January. Some might consider this to be just bluddy silly at my age and they'd probably be right 😀

Well if you're going to go you might as well do it doing something you enjoy.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Some might consider this to be just bluddy silly

Just avoid night ski-ing. Seriously - back in the day I had two colleagues who, separately, went night ski-ing. One gained a permanent limp. The other's eyes no longer pointed in the same direction. The adrenaline rush of avoiding the trees isn't worth it when you use one to stop, abruptly.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Having seen the price of the latest from Heljan, is it any wonder that more people are flocking to build small O gauge model railways in order to relieve their wallets of less for more?

It's a bit wet and windy here today:  And that is before we go outside to describe the weather!

After consultations with the Sage of South Wales about a tin works project, I am now waiting the delivery of five GWR L22 match truck kits  from DJ Parkins.  These will then be converted into Roll wagons.

Of course, I already have enough on my plate without taking on more stock, but over on Western Thunder, I read that DJP were selling off  many of the ex ABS models cheaply, and once stock was exhausted they would not reappear until they had been retooled. 

Since I'd cleared space in the cupboard of sin, it made perfect sense to refill it again!

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 3

1 hour ago, DenysW said:

Just avoid night ski-ing. Seriously - back in the day I had two colleagues who, separately, went night ski-ing. One gained a permanent limp. The other's eyes no longer pointed in the same direction. The adrenaline rush of avoiding the trees isn't worth it when you use one to stop, abruptly.

More years ago than enough, I did a skiing course with the CCF (they had some really good courses in those days!)

The course took the form of 10 days in Norway, during which we were taught to make a 50km cross-country trip and bivouac 

The Sergeant-Instructor made us the following promises on Day One...

1) by the end of the course, we would be able to ski better than "any ponce on the tv" 

2) we would never want to see skis, ever again

I have no standard of comparison for the first, but the second prediction has borne up remarkably well....

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12