Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes, lovely Chequerfield.  During Euro96 we had a lot of bobbies one day when I think Englannd were playing Scotland.  Rather than have them all sitting round the nick drinking tea and losing their wages at Pontoon we did something proactive.  We got warrants for several drug dealers houses and hit the all 10 minutes after kick off.  It worked a treat as they were all at home glued to the telly.  The decent locals, the vast majority, all came out and applauded.  A good place to work.  Sadly like so many estates the antics of a small percentage  get everyone tarred with the same brush.

Jamie

Nice one - "up there for thinking, down there for dancing" as we used to say.

Such a ploy brings back memories of Wales v West Germany 1991, and a briefing about a week before the game.

Intel suggested the Germans were coming looking for it, and the Welsh were going to oblige them.

At the briefing the ACC Ops instructed the Football Intelligence Officer "draw up a list of our top ten risk supporters ?"

The ACC then turned to the Detective Super and said "when you get that list, I want everyone of the names on it arrested by 8:00am on the day of the match, on suspicion of..........burglary"

He thought for a moment then said, "release them NFA (no further action) ten minutes after kick off"

The expected trouble was averted, and Wales won 1-0 thanks to an Ian Rush goal.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 3

4 hours ago, PupCam said:

The real reason people drive fast through there is so that the natives dont have chance to swipe your wheels.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

10 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

The real reason people drive fast through there is so that the natives dont have chance to swipe your wheels.

I once had a rear puncture in the works van while doing a delivery in Kendray.

While loosening the affected wheel I heard a noise from the cab and went to investigate. I found a local scote trying to prise the radio out of the dashboard. ‘Oi, what do you think you’re doing?’ 
‘If you’re having the wheels, I’m having the radio’ came the reply.

Boom, boom!

Edited by Erichill16
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Probably brown paper, sizal string and bits of ice lolly stick would be a good start.😁

Tripe Lane could be yet another TMD/Stabling point type model for those who like sound fitted diesel locos all running at once.

Next time you come viewing DL, I shall press the F1 key for everything!

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, bbishop said:

Today's post brought a bundle of correspondence from Santander, including a credit card.  Fine if I had requested it; but no, this was purely speculative.  My previous experience of Santander is they are totally incompetent and lacking any customer service.  So the card has been cut up and most of it put in the bin and an icily polite letter sent, withdrawing from the "agreement".  The rest goes in next week.

To quote our much lamented friend - arset0ssers.

Bill

I've been with Santander for about 20 years and can't fault their service

More likely a scam and someone using some of your details to apply for a card. 

And other things...........

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SM42 said:

Our tip is a free for all. 

No trade waste but there are regularly vans present that are obviously in the business of waste disposal. 

If you have a trailer you are allowed a number of free visits per year and have to hand over a permit each time. 

Lord knows how you get on if your family car is a Toyota Hilux or similar 

I once borrowed a Corsa combi van (about the smallest van ever made apart from something from France) from work to take a fridge to the local tip.

I wasn't allowed in as I didn't have an annual permit (for a van - they were free for a number of visits per year, but had to be applied for in advance)

When I said that I was going to go home, manhandle the fridge into my hatchback and return with the back door open, they relented........................

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

47 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I've been with Santander for about 20 years and can't fault their service

During our time in Spain, we banked with Santander.

We did have some 'amusing' incidents with them, but the biggest problem in those days was the lack of a UK style 'clearing system' in Spain.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I am up early and planning what I can do to get some more railway modelling time in today.

Since I was up at 5, I've already wasted two hours, although I suspect that going out to the garage and hammering and generally crashing around would have made me an absolute hit with the neighbours.

If it's nice (when it gets light)  I will probably get back out in the garden.  

Another spray session around the summerhouse would be good, although I'd best do that before the washing is hung out to dry!

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, newbryford said:

It's 2320hrs and nearly November in the Grim North(TM)

The outside temperature is 15C....

???????

Same over here. 20c forecast today

And I'm running on winter tyres

Abdy

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Happy Hippo said:

I must be getting terribly grumpy in my dotage as I couldn't care less, although I'm sure that for some it will generate a great deal of orgasmic froth.

It's probably just some diseasal. The last 00 steam loco announcement I saw generated nothing but well-informed comment - but then it was a Midland engine (though never red) and Midland enthusiasts tend not to give way to the sort of ecstatic frenzy to which the devotees of green juggernoughts are given.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, bbishop said:

Today's post brought a bundle of correspondence from Santander, including a credit card.  Fine if I had requested it; but no, this was purely speculative.  My previous experience of Santander is they are totally incompetent and lacking any customer service.  So the card has been cut up and most of it put in the bin and an icily polite letter sent, withdrawing from the "agreement".  The rest goes in next week.

To quote our much lamented friend - arset0ssers.

Bill

It's a while since I did anything with consumer credit or credit card marketing, but IIRC the speculative sending of credit cards is not permitted in the UK so as others have suggested, it's more than likely to be a scam with you (and the bank) as the unwitting victims.

I suggest a call to Santander and a check of your credit record, just in case someone's been having a good time at your expense.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, 5 C said:

It's a while since I did anything with consumer credit or credit card marketing, but IIRC the speculative sending of credit cards is not permitted in the UK so as others have suggested, it's more than likely to be a scam with you (and the bank) as the unwitting victims.

I suggest a call to Santander and a check of your credit record, just in case someone's been having a good time at your expense.

Another one to watch out for is someone trying to steal your house:

https://hoa.org.uk/2019/06/fraud-steal-your-home/

There's a website you can register with (the Land Registry Alert Service) which will alert you if searches and applications are received against your property - there's a link in the above website.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

More shopping today. 

Cake was bought and consumed. 

This is the cake section ( cold) at the local supermarket. ( a little blurred I admit. I was tremblibg with excitement)

Non refrigerated cake can be found on the pallets on the right of the aisle and in the grey shelves at the far end of the fridges. 

20221028_111737.jpg.b7782d506be136cd961ce54351c9d14c.jpg

After cake I went out to Kobylnica and whilst photographing some tank wagons, I was engaged in conversation by a builder, who happened to be a railway modeller. 

He found it hard to believe that 00 and H0 use the same track. 

Somewhere in Poland I fear I may have started that dreaded discussion on scale and gauge. 

Andy

• Like 11
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, SM42 said:

...snip... He found it hard to believe that 00 and H0 use the same track.

Somewhere in Poland I fear I may have started that dreaded discussion on scale and gauge.

Andy

And to add to the international scale/gauge discussion, your OO should actually be OOnsomething.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, SM42 said:

This is the cake section ( cold) at the local supermarket. ( a little blurred I admit. I was tremblibg with excitement)

Non refrigerated cake can be found on the pallets on the right of the aisle and in the grey shelves at the far end of the fridges. 

20221028_111737.jpg.b7782d506be136cd961ce54351c9d14c.jpg

Bear really, really needs to visit Poland......

(Actually I'd quite like to - where to go though?)

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear really, really needs to visit Poland......

(Actually I'd quite like to - where to go though?)

Everyone goes to Krakow, which is understandable as it is a beautiful city with many museums and places   like Auschwitz and Wieliczka are not too far away. 

Wroclaw is also quite picturesque in the centre and like most cities has much to see. 

Poznan is also quite nice ( I am biased though)  to visit ( the central market square is a building site at the moment though) and is not far from Wolsztyn for some steam action. 

Gdansk I find a little disjointed as a city but is close to Gydnia and Sopot. All have their own attractions and you could always go to Hel on the train 

Szczeczin I found to be quite an interesting place to visit too. 

Warszawa is another place I found a little disjointed but again there is much to see and do there as you would expect in the capital city

A lot really depends on what you want to do between cakes. 

Andy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1