Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

image.png.d68b2ecad2b527ba27f4cbb6daa350e9.png

image.png.4ba13b5e659851537f6e27afce6d54b9.png

One would stop me eating cake, the other would make me bury my head in cake.

Which is which?

You decide!

Imagine  half size of number 2 wearing the same as number 1.

Andy

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Does anyone here know anything about the construction of the Sopwith Triplane?

I blieve that one of our number has a Haines Manual but the last few chapters are missing.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

The gas man leaveth.

Having poo pooed my suggestion that the pressure gauge on the boiler had failed, he has just changed it for one that works.

The clue was that adding water didn't change the gauge reading from zero, but did cause the overpressure valve to open.

We are now £180 lighter and I have 4 radiators to bleed later when it all settles down again

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Rumour has it that Programme Completion has been aligned to coincide with the coming of the next Ice Age....

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Neighbour is gardening wearing just her underwear....

Photos?

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

It's a sight to put you off cake.

Hang on - delete that last request.....

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Imagine  half size of number 2 wearing the same as number 1.

Andy

Bear was enjoying his din dins until he read that.  Note the use of the words "was" and "until"....

27 minutes ago, SM42 said:

The gas man leaveth.

Having poo pooed my suggestion that the pressure gauge on the boiler had failed, he has just changed it for one that works.

The clue was that adding water didn't change the gauge reading from zero, but did cause the overpressure valve to open.

We are now £180 lighter and I have 4 radiators to bleed later when it all settles down again

Andy

Discount for diagnosing the problem I trust?

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes things exceed expectations.

I have an spray gun with which I hoped to spray the summerhouse.

I was expecting the usual drama of getting the balance between painty stuff and what ever thinners was required (in this case water) in order to get the spray gun to work.

All my preparation of stuff was in vain, as the Cuprinol Garden shades paint sprays without any additives/thinning.  All I have to do its transfer it from can to gun.

It is going to make painting the inside, which is  to be all one colour a bit of a doddle.  I'll just need to mask off the glass.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

All planned jobs done for today 

Things packed as much as can be for now.  This will make loading the car easier.

Mrs SM42 is wrapping Christmas presents for her family. They will be delivered on Sunday to await opening on Christmas Eve. 

I managed to see two trains in the hour I had between jobs and once the desk is free from Christmas contribulations I may try and paint the kit I built last time I was here. 

It will then be beer o'clock 

Andy

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I was expecting the usual drama of getting the balance between painty stuff and what ever thinners was required (in this case water) in order to get the spray gun to work.

All my preparation of stuff was in vain, as the Cuprinol Garden shades paint sprays without any additives/thinning.  All I have to do its transfer it from can to gun.

It is going to make painting the inside, which is  to be all one colour a bit of a doddle.  I'll just need to mask off the glass.

You may need to mask anything within a 50 yard radius too, if experience of a neighbour spraying a fence is anything to go by. 

I have visions of a perfect finish with a nice silhouette of the neighbour's cat on one wall.

Andy

• Agree 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The coc*womble that lived next door to us at our old house used that sort of spray on the fence only problem was our French doors were covered in it. Took the eejit hours to clean it off.

Swmbo came from Chequerfield and doesnt stand sh1t

@jamie92208 knows the place well

She found it when she came home and went straight round. I would have paid good money to see the look on his face when confronted by Swmbo on the rampage 

Edited by simontaylor484
Missed off text
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, SM42 said:

You may need to mask anything within a 50 yard radius too, if experience of a neighbour spraying a fence is anything to go by. 

I have visions of a perfect finish with a nice silhouette of the neighbour's cat on one wall.

Andy

You will recall that I recently became a Cat Casket Constructor, so there will be no  feline silhouette.

• Like 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

You will recall that I recently became a Cat Casket Constructor, so there will be no  feline silhouette.

Surely there is more than one cat in Telfland 

Andy

• Funny 8

Today's post brought a bundle of correspondence from Santander, including a credit card.  Fine if I had requested it; but no, this was purely speculative.  My previous experience of Santander is they are totally incompetent and lacking any customer service.  So the card has been cut up and most of it put in the bin and an icily polite letter sent, withdrawing from the "agreement".  The rest goes in next week.

To quote our much lamented friend - arset0ssers.

Bill

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, bbishop said:

Today's post brought a bundle of correspondence from Santander, including a credit card.  Fine if I had requested it; but no, this was purely speculative.  My previous experience of Santander is they are totally incompetent and lacking any customer service.  So the card has been cut up and most of it put in the bin and an icily polite letter sent, withdrawing from the "agreement".  The rest goes in next week.

Bill

I find these cards make excellent filler applicators.

Just drill a hole through the chip and scrub off the 3 digit security code and they are useless for the intended purpose.

I'm still working through some P&O cruise cards which I retained after various trips.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

22 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Bill

Or perhaps someone sneakily applied for a card in your name but failed to intercept it before it was delivered?

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SM42 said:

Neighbour is gardening wearing just her underwear ( takes all sorts of suppose) It's a sight to put you off cake.

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

image.png.d68b2ecad2b527ba27f4cbb6daa350e9.png

image.png.4ba13b5e659851537f6e27afce6d54b9.png

One would stop me eating cake, the other would make me bury my head in cake.

Which is which?

You decide!

Could be worse, number two without her underwear.

• Agree 6
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, BoD said:

Now, funny you should say that, I've given lectures on the subject to the RAeS and others .... 🤣  

At one lecture "Dodge" Bailey, at the time the Shuttleworth Collection's Chief pilot, was present which did make a (not Sopwith) Pup a tad nervous in case he got anything wrong.     He didn't so that was alright.   Mind you if he had, he could have at least answered back with a "At least I haven't pranged the real one" sort of comment 🤣    The lectures were free to enter.  You just had to dodge (no pun intended) the collection bucket on the way out with all proceeds going to the Shuttleworth Collection to support the return to flight of their slightly broken one.

Anyway, it's a lovely aeroplane but I'd better stop before I start boring you all ...

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Swmbo came from Chequerfield and doesnt stand sh1t

@jamie92208 knows the place well

She found it when she came home and went straight round. I would have paid good money to see the look on his face when confronted by Swmbo on the rampage 

Have the Kia boys moved in?

https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/crime/pontefract-chequerfield-residents-raise-concerns-over-dangerous-driving-in-their-community-3860212

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

RANT:

So yesterday, took the current collection of dead batteries, including the "dangerous/damaged Li one" to the nearest recommended recycle site. Happens to be one of several stores (this is a Battery store) listed that handle recycling of batteries. Turns out they CHARGE for recycling, $2 a pound weight for alkaline and Li/phone batteries are a flat $15 a piece - bit rude since a replacement of the same battery is only $19!!

Had I bothered to go to the local government recycle center it'd have been free, but that's a 20+ minute drive away.

Bear recycles dry batteries at the local chemist in the village; if I had to start paying to do so then they'd have a one-way trip into the wheelie bin.....

As for the council recycling centre, I avoid that like the plague cos' I got fed up with getting punctures there; they won't let pedestrians in either (no idea what non-car owners are supposed to do), despite having a pavement from the entrance gate all the way into where people are wandering about.

In other news...

No ceilings painted - though I'm all set to do so nice n' early tomorrow.  I did manage to complete the Lynx display model though, so that can find a space on a shelf in the lounge sometime soon.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, polybear said:

I did manage to complete the Lynx display model though, so that can find a space on a shelf in the lounge sometime soon.

Photos Man Bear we need photos!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Yes, lovely Chequerfield.  During Euro96 we had a lot of bobbies one day when I think Englannd were playing Scotland.  Rather than have them all sitting round the nick drinking tea and losing their wages at Pontoon we did something proactive.  We got warrants for several drug dealers houses and hit the all 10 minutes after kick off.  It worked a treat as they were all at home glued to the telly.  The decent locals, the vast majority, all came out and applauded.  A good place to work.  Sadly like so many estates the antics of a small percentage  get everyone tarred with the same brush.

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

they won't let pedestrians in either (no idea what non-car owners are supposed to do),

It is the same at our local recycling centre. There are number plate registration recognition cameras. I have no idea what happens if you drive a vehicle not registered to an address outside the Essex County Council area. At the tips in Southend you have to produce some ID to prove you are resident in the Southend City area  and haven’t just sneaked over from Essex. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Informative/Useful 5

Our tip is a free for all. 

No trade waste but there are regularly vans present that are obviously in the business of waste disposal. 

If you have a trailer you are allowed a number of free visits per year and have to hand over a permit each time. 

Lord knows how you get on if your family car is a Toyota Hilux or similar 

It all seems a bit random. 

The tip here in Poznan has a weighbridge and you pay by the kilo for dumped rubbish. 

Mrs SM42 always stands off the weighbridge on the way out and gets shouted at by both me and the operator. 

As my car is registered as local (!@?) We don't have to pay now.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2