Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

One or Mrs SM42's  traits is to ask the staff in a restaurant or food shop if anything she is thinking of buying  is good. 

Now I would expect anything on the menu to be rated as good by those trying to sell it  otherwise why have it to sell and hence the question  is a little redundant in my opinion.

Today, whilst buying liver and onions ( don't ask)  she asked if it was good. 

"Surely everything is  good" I said

The girl behind the counter said " not the fish "

Refreshing honesty when least expected. 

Other items were also de recommended. 

Well that's showed me 

Andy

• Like 4
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, SM42 said:

One or Mrs SM42's  traits is to ask the staff in a restaurant or food shop if anything she is thinking of buying  is good. 

Now I would expect anything on the menu to be rated as good by those trying to sell it  otherwise why have it to sell and hence the question  is a little redundant in my opinion.

Today, whilst buying liver and onions ( don't ask)  she asked if it was good. 

"Surely everything is  good" I said

The girl behind the counter said " not the fish "

Refreshing honesty when least expected. 

Other items were also de recommended. 

Well that's showed me 

Andy

I suspect you've been framed there Andy. Check to see if Mrs SM42 and the girl in the shop know one another. Be careful what you eat just in case.

• Funny 7

Nope, no connection.

But it is hard to tell with Mrs SM42. She seems to know everybody.

Why we are having liver and onions tomorrow  I dont know. 

I'm no fan of liver. 

I blame the half bottle of vodka I drank with the father in law. 

But I did get an unexpected burger sandwich when we got home as they had to be used up. 

I think I may have come out ahead on points. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, SM42 said:

Nope, no connection.

But it is hard to tell with Mrs SM42. She seems to know everybody.

Why we are having liver and onions tomorrow  I dont know. 

I'm no fan of liver. 

I blame the half bottle of vodka I drank with the father in law. 

But I did get an unexpected burger sandwich when we hot home as they had to be used up. 

I think I may have come out ahead on points. 

Andy

I'd still be careful just in case. Did you check the burger for 'extras'?

• Funny 7

11 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ah the old get him tiddly and he'll eating anything ploy.

I was already a little tiddly

The beer was the risky icing on the cake of a good day all round.

Andy

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, bbishop said:

Do your French locos run round LGA?  Bill

Unfortunately  the only French loco that I possess is HO on 16.5mm track.  I am hankering after a kit but thatbif acquired and built would run 9n 21mm track.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 24/10/2022 at 21:11, Northmoor said:

I could not and still cannot relate easily to people who seem to have nothing to occupy their spare time, or who just live for work (unless they own their own business, then I can understand). 

You and me both!   I'm perpetually bewildered (by so many things!) by folk that have no interest or passion in anything at all.   

Like many here, my interests and passions  are perhaps outside the norms - I can't abide football, cricket, rugby, running.  I have no interest in knitting, "literature", Harley Davidsons, Custom cars, tropical fish keeping, Heavy Metal Music etc etc but I have the utmost respect for those that are passionate about something.    A former colleague had an absolutely encyclopedic knowledge and passion for football to the point of being a bore but you could not help but admire his knowledge and passion.    Now, get me talking about the construction of the Sopwith Triplane  and I could bore the pants off of you in under 5 minutes!

The thing that has struck me most about my relatively recent retirement is my thirst for new knowledge in the ever widening range of subjects that interest me.   For example, I've had a latent interest in Astronomy all my life but only within the last 12 months has that evolved in to a really active interest.   Boy is there a lot to learn, and a lot of it is very tricky!     Maybe its a substitute for the now missing, interesting "techo" bits of my former employment?   It has to be said that the stuff I was involved in doesn't typically find wide application in the "outside world"  which is probably a very good thing!      One things for certain though, I'm certainly not missing the day-to-day tedium of "work" admin and related torture!

Similarly, I'm always amazed and staggered by excellent craftsmanship and artistry (which is of course extremely relevant to the mainstream world of RMWeb) irrespective of what the subject is.   It really doesn't matter whether the subject is of direct interest to me or not,  the craftsmanship, skill, artistic flair is an end to be admired and appreciated in its own right.

Alan

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

44 minutes ago, AndyID said:

image.png.1466c466568eaddabc4fb96c9d37ffba.png

That wasn't in a book given to the Pope by any chance was it?

If so there's a government looking for it. I'd get the tin foil hat on just to be on the safe side. They can detect you from space nowadays you know.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

8 hours ago, PupCam said:

You and me both!   I'm perpetually bewildered (by so many things!) by folk that have no interest or passion in anything at all.   

Like many here, my interests and passions  are perhaps outside the norms - I can't abide football, cricket, rugby, running.  I have no interest in knitting, "literature", Harley Davidsons, Custom cars, tropical fish keeping, Heavy Metal Music etc etc but I have the utmost respect for those that are passionate about something.    A former colleague had an absolutely encyclopedic knowledge and passion for football to the point of being a bore but you could not help but admire his knowledge and passion.    Now, get me talking about the construction of the Sopwith Triplane  and I could bore the pants off of you in under 5 minutes!

The thing that has struck me most about my relatively recent retirement is my thirst for new knowledge in the ever widening range of subjects that interest me.   For example, I've had a latent interest in Astronomy all my life but only within the last 12 months has that evolved in to a really active interest.   Boy is there a lot to learn, and a lot of it is very tricky!     Maybe its a substitute for the now missing, interesting "techo" bits of my former employment?   It has to be said that the stuff I was involved in doesn't typically find wide application in the "outside world"  which is probably a very good thing!      One things for certain though, I'm certainly not missing the day-to-day tedium of "work" admin and related torture!

Similarly, I'm always amazed and staggered by excellent craftsmanship and artistry (which is of course extremely relevant to the mainstream world of RMWeb) irrespective of what the subject is.   It really doesn't matter whether the subject is of direct interest to me or not,  the craftsmanship, skill, artistic flair is an end to be admired and appreciated in its own right.

Alan

My good wife had such plans for the garden when she retired, but unfortunately they involved quite a lot of work on my part, which was never going to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

48 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

My good wife had such plans for the garden when she retired, but unfortunately they involved quite a lot of work on my part, which was never going to happen. 

All Mrs SM42's plans involve a level of input ( AKA hard labour) on my part 

And I'm the one with the bad back. 

I must agree though that craftsmanship, whatever the subject, has to be admired. 

We visited the National Museum in Wroclaw the other day. 

Not my first choice to look at bits of old wood and stone, but being able to get close ( no barriers) to some very old wooden carved figures of various saints et al allowed  one to appreciate the work that had gone in to creating them using the tools of the time. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It's a glorious sunny day in the motherland 

Perfect weather for taking burnt cakes back to the shop, shopping, waiting for the gas man and taking the FiL to the doctors.

Train time is possible but not much it seems.

Andy

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

It's grey outside the Hippodrome, whilst inside peace and tranquillity reign once more.

Our daughter and grandchildren have left the premises, and are now en-route back to Reading.

(I always feel it is polite to warn Stephen about this so he can batten down his hatches.)

Life can now return to a slightly more leisurely pace for a few hours before picking up a baton.

Whether that baton is a paint brush or a silicon caulking gun remains to be seen.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

(I always feel it is polite to warn Stephen about this so he can batten down his hatches.)

That's alright. There's a pair of swans and a flock of canada geese between us.

Which reminds me, our resident pair of egyptian geese, who had successfully brought five chicks to adulthood this spring, were evidently emboldened by the mild early autumn to have a second brood - five were sighted early this month - but unfortunately they didn't last long. I suspect a fox got them. I've been unable to find any information online about egyptian geese breeding twice in one season, though they are early starters.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Friendly/supportive 13

3 hours ago, SM42 said:

All Mrs SM42's plans involve a level of input ( AKA hard labour) on my part 

And I'm the one with the bad back. 

I must agree though that craftsmanship, whatever the subject, has to be admired. 

We visited the National Museum in Wroclaw the other day. 

Not my first choice to look at bits of old wood and stone, but being able to get close ( no barriers) to some very old wooden carved figures of various saints et al allowed  one to appreciate the work that had gone in to creating them using the tools of the time. 

Andy

Andy,

I agree with your comments about wood carving.  In Romania, in some of the more remote villages you’ll find craftsman working the way it was always done.  In fact, I knew an old man who had suffered from a stroke and yet he still managed to carve the most incredible coat rack out of a log as a wedding present for his youngest daughter. It was a privilege to be there and watch him work.

Paul

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, BoD said:

Does anyone here know anything about the construction of the Sopwith Triplane?

Probably brown paper, sizal string and bits of ice lolly stick would be a good start.😁

Tripe Lane could be yet another TMD/Stabling point type model for those who like sound fitted diesel locos all running at once.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

The gas man cometh.

The sun is shining still. Shopping done. 

Started packing for the trip home as that will be less to do later.

Neighbour is gardening wearing just her underwear ( takes all sorts of suppose) It's a sight to put you off cake.

I've got sunburn on my bald spot and life carries on its crazy way as it does here. 

A sandwich has been threatened

Andy

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Neighbour is gardening wearing just her underwear ( takes all sorts of suppose) It's a sight to put you off cake.

image.png.d68b2ecad2b527ba27f4cbb6daa350e9.png

image.png.4ba13b5e659851537f6e27afce6d54b9.png

One would stop me eating cake, the other would make me bury my head in cake.

Which is which?

You decide!

• Like 1
  • Funny 11