Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I worked for a company that introduced a rule that everybody had to reverse park on their sites so they could pull out front first, it was hilarious in some ways as people who'd been driving for decades had panic and anxiety attacks because they'd never done it before. Despite all the moaning and protestations of doom everyone did it and it didn't take long for people to learn (it was made very clear the alternative was park off site, not easy given the location of the plants).

I worked a (mercifully) short contract for a company who had a reverse parking policy at all their locations, that was rigorously enforced. They'd had a fatality at one of their locations, which while not related to reverse parking, meant they were very vigilant on anything that happened in their car parks. Security would make tannoy announcements and "offenders" had to move their vehicle immediately.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

The shorter the trailer, the harder it is!

The Army 3/4 ton trailer with coupled to a Land Rover via the NATO coupling was very very hard to reverse.

Much of the problem was due to the coupling being a less than loose fit so the trailer had a lot of free play in which to start oscillating from side to side.

A ball hitch can't do that.

Ironic as the NATO trailer hitch was reputed to be the only thing in the entire NATO arsenal of equipment that was truly universal.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, 5 C said:

I worked a (mercifully) short contract for a company who had a reverse parking policy at all their locations, that was rigorously enforced. They'd had a fatality at one of their locations, which while not related to reverse parking, meant they were very vigilant on anything that happened in their car parks. Security would make tannoy announcements and "offenders" had to move their vehicle immediately.

Achtung, Achtung....

The Great Empire used to have a Tannoy system; one of the security guards got caught out by it one day....

He'd been broadcasting a site-wide announcement one day; shortly afterwards someone came into the office and said to him "Pete - Sergeant Bloggs wants to see you".

"Oh no", says Pete - "What does that little fat W****r want?"

Shortly afterwards the phone rings and Pete answers it - it was the M.D.'s Secretary; the M.D. at the time being a certain Admiral (Retd.).

"Pete, fer chrissakes SHUT UP - the whole site can hear you!!"

"Oh, sh1t!!" says Pete....

Anyway, he waits maybe 20 minutes or so for the fall-out to happen; when he heard nothing he called the M.D.s Secretary....

"Has he said anything?" he asks....

"No" says the Secretary - "In fact it's the first time I've seen the miserable b'sterd smile for weeks....."

- As told to a certain Bear by Pete** himself.

** Better know as "Effin' Pete" - which was an accurate description.  An excellent guy - RIP.

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

This is something I do when tradesmen drive onto our shared driveway and then have to reverse back into the road

Where we stayed on holiday was a stable yard. The outer doors were right on the road, no pavement. On the day we left a painter working on the property went out in the road to let us out safely. The traffic one way stopped but a driver coming the other way nearly hit him instead of stopping. I am sure the driver was in La La land. 

• Friendly/supportive 14

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

The shorter the trailer, the harder it is!

The Army 3/4 ton trailer with coupled to a Land Rover via the NATO coupling was very very hard to reverse.

Much of the problem was due to the coupling being a less than loose fit so the trailer had a lot of free play in which to start oscillating from side to side.

A ball hitch can't do that.

Ironic as the NATO trailer hitch was reputed to be the only thing in the entire NATO arsenal of equipment that was truly universal.

I can confirm that. I have a short road trailer that I use behind the tractor. It was really difficult to reverse until I extended the tongue three feet.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

We were undervorders to always reverse park in policecstation carbparks as usually rush jobs were going out rather than returning.  However at Pontefract it could be awkward if an articulated sugar tanker was reversing down into the Haribo factory. Even worse if there was a beer delivery at the Working Mens Club oposite at the same time. Even worse if a Tesco artic was tryi g to getbinto their loading bay opposite the end of our cul de sac.  I still reverse park out of habit.  Reversing my trailer into the tip is good fun though.

Jamie

I did see a sugar tanker take the front off a police  Astra there once.

FIL was the secretary of that WMC

These on a Landy? Top stuff

• Like 6

Did someone say 'cake' ?

Mrs. br2975 returned from Cardiff Central Market with three slabs of 'Navvies Wedding Cake' bless her.

As for the mug, Mrs br2975 bought it in a Colorado truckstop, and presented it to me, knowing it would provoke a reaction.........and she was correct !

Navvies Wedding Cake.jpg

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Yep, one of those !  I did once come across one on a traction engine.

Adrian

We had one on the 'Steamplex' but took it off as it was too damn loud when you stand right next to it!

131309234_756525144936746_5581338145099216139_n.jpg.996af09e6a86431dd6eb332a6cb5ad07.jpg

The replacement whistle (Marshall traction engine) shows where it was.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, br2975 said:

Did someone say 'cake' ?

Mrs. br2975 returned from Cardiff Central Market with three slabs of 'Navvies Wedding Cake' bless her.

As for the mug, Mrs br2975 bought it in a Colorado truckstop, and presented it to me, knowing it would provoke a reaction.........and she was correct !

Navvies Wedding Cake.jpg

That looks like bread pudding.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

first time I've seen the miserable b'sterd smile for weeks....."

Aditi’s parents weren’t smiling when they overheard me via our baby monitor complaining they were driving me mad with their incessant need to “know our programme’ for the day every ****ing minute while we were on holiday with them. This was our first trip away after Matthew was born. He was about 11 months old. It was a good job they had already left on the final day when I had my next outburst. MiL had decided to have an early birthday celebration for Matthew’s first birthday, she had somehow fed chocolate cake to him. This was a new experience for his digestive system. It was awful, and we had checked out of the apartment and had to deal with everything in our car. 

• Friendly/supportive 16

5 minutes ago, br2975 said:

If it looks like bread pudding, and tastes like bread pudding, it can only be............

'Navvies Wedding Cake' is the local nickname for it.

We always knew it as soldier's wedding cake. 

Same thing really. Both are expected to move the earth.

Our workplace had a reverse park policy too. Most moaned about big brother but didn't seem to understand a car is designed to move forwards for most of the time and therefore when leaving you had maximum visibility 

"Ah" they said "but what about when reversing in? You can't see very well then."

Only if you arrive with your eyes closed and don't look around  on arrival before starting your manoeuvre.

Some played clever and reversed into the space and continued into the one behind. 

Mind you it never ceases to amaze me how many people will see a car reversing in a car park and walk behind it, rather than go around the front or wait a few seconds.

Andy

• Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Oops nearly forgot

Here is today's locomotive, Ol49 - 69 during the run round in  Leszno.

20221021_131113.jpg.0b839a96883f0525ff901f15d36072a2.jpg

It still seems a little odd that in 2022, steam is still hauling regular public timetable services 

Andy

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Our workplace had a reverse park policy too. Most moaned about big brother but didn't seem to understand a car is designed to move forwards for most of the time and therefore when leaving you had maximum visibility 

It also requires a lot less space to reverse in. Going in forwards the rear wheels tend to cut the corner requiring an adjustment to get parallel with the lines. It's much easier to get square first time when reversing in (it's also much easier when you have a rear camera like the one on my truck 😀)

• Like 6
  • Agree 9

5 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Oops nearly forgot

Here is today's locomotive, Ol49 - 69 during the run round in  Leszno.

20221021_131113.jpg.0b839a96883f0525ff901f15d36072a2.jpg

It still seems a little odd that in 2022, steam is still hauling regular public timetable services 

Andy

Ooooh! a 2-6-2!!  Why is it not painted green?

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

Of course I wouldn't be true to my name if I didn't include an SM42 at Wolsztyn ( two even)

20221021_105152.jpg.74e1ed8878f7c2788fdb2aeaebd437b8.jpg

Quite a few about on ballast trains as work is still ongoing on the Poznan line

And finally the classic shed line up

20221021_110847.jpg.909fa83dd36d4917042de91033b32f54.jpg

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 17

10 minutes ago, AndyID said:

It also requires a lot less space to reverse in. Going in forwards the rear wheels tend to cut the corner requiring an adjustment to get parallel with the lines. It's much easier to get square first time when reversing in (it's also much easier when you have a rear camera like the one on my truck 😀)

You could always line up with use of the handbrake. 

Not on a modern car though with all that electrickery business

Andy

• Funny 10

7 minutes ago, SM42 said:

You could always line up with use of the handbrake. 

Not on a modern car though with all that electrickery business

Andy

One of my neighbors (ex California) was having a problem reversing his car up his driveway because of some ice and snow. I told him to reverse up. He thought it would not help but he did it just to shut me up. Worked great because it was front-wheel drive 😃

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, br2975 said:

What happens in Indonesia, when the driver doesn't reverse into a parking space

Driving in Indonesia is a scary experience, up there with driving in Egypt..... My sister-in-law once noticed my disapproving look at her driving style and explained that the only way to drive is to be ruthless, go for any gap however small and show no mercy, I guess it works for them (although the traffic jams might indicate otherwise). They're also enthusiastic users of the Egyptian brake (horn).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4