Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Not the best of nights, for no particular reason, except maybe knowing I had an early start today. Off out on an empty stomach - as stipulated - at 6.30, drove 30-ish miles to Clinique du Pré for a prescribed blood test. The prescription from the rheumatologist said it must be done by 8.30! The lab opens at 7.30. I was there at 7.20 and was 14th in the queue, as I rather anticipated. I swear I did not feel the needle in my arm at all, and was out by 08.0l. Bacon sandwich, coffee and orange at 9 back home were welcome! Results due online by lunchtime. 

I have some sorting out to do on the DCC layout - unexplained events yesterday need investigating. Keeps me off the streets!

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SM42 said:

It is our canine guest's last day with us today and I am back to summing up the gumption to start painting again. 

Need to go shoppimg for masking tape first. 

Hoping to get the lounge finished today. 

Mrs SM42 has imposed a mid November deadline for the lower floors of SM42 Towers to be done by then, but the West wing isn't included in the plan. 

I'm still aiming for Christmas on that

Andy

Deadline?  Wot's a deadline??

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have been perusing another thread and have come up with the word of the day:

Knobster.

Bear intrigued - what's the thread?  Are we missing some entertainment here?

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, polybear said:

I was also intrigued so did a forum text search and only found the reference in this thread. Perhaps deletions have occurred. 

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

47 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I was also intrigued so did a forum text search and only found the reference in this thread. Perhaps deletions have occurred. 

The thread is this one:

• Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The thread is this one:

I didn’t know people went to exhibitions to see trains operate.  I thought it was for the tea and cakes. 

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

After a fun morning of painting window frames (using masking tape as well!), this afternoon's excitment was going for my fourth covid innoculation.

It was interesting to be told that if you were driving you had to wait a minimum of 15 minutes after the innoculation before driving away.  The big notice in the vaccination booth stated that your motor insurance is invalid until 15 minutes after!

Your innoculation certificate/paperwork is endorsed with the time at which you can resume perambulation around Telfland in charge of  motor vehicle.

However it did not say that you couldn't ride a bicycle, moped or motor bike!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

t was interesting to be told that if you were driving you had to wait a minimum of 15 minutes after the innoculation before driving away.  The big notice in the vaccination booth stated that your motor insurance is invalid until 15 minutes after!

I was told “it depends”. No waiting was required for my first two Astra Zeneca jabs. I had to wait for 15 minutes after my first Pfizer, but after my second Pfizer I didn’t need to as I hadn’t had a reaction first time. Fifth one, I was required to wait for 15minutes. That was my first Moderna. Sixth one was bivalent Pfizer along with flu jab, and I was on my way as soon as I wanted. No paperwork/certificate as it is all online now. (Just checked, Saturday’s details are all online now)
Most of my inoculations have been in a local clinic a few minutes walk away but  the requirement to wait was for pedestrians or drivers. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

The thread is this one:

It seems that the OP has chucked a Thunderflash thru' the doorway and then retired a safe distance to see what happens.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

After a fun morning of painting window frames (using masking tape as well!), this afternoon's excitment was going for my fourth covid innoculation.

It was interesting to be told that if you were driving you had to wait a minimum of 15 minutes after the innoculation before driving away.  The big notice in the vaccination booth stated that your motor insurance is invalid until 15 minutes after!

Your innoculation certificate/paperwork is endorsed with the time at which you can resume perambulation around Telfland in charge of  motor vehicle.

However it did not say that you couldn't ride a bicycle, moped or motor bike!

Just had my Covid jab at the Orthopaedic  and no need to wait. In fact I was in the car within 12 minutes of my allocated time.

They no longer give the little cards out as its all on your online record.

Following on from the jab I had to mow the lawns as it had got rather out of control in the time we have been in Cornwall 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The paint brush has been hung up for the day. 

The unfitted grey is drying nicely but will definitely need a second coat and maybe a third. 

We are thinking of picnicking next to the babbling brook at the end of the drive this evening. 

Andy

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 30/09/2022 at 22:06, Northmoor said:

Working from home as normal today, except I wasn't.  My daughter had a cold earlier this week which laid her out for two days, by last night I was aching and shivery; not a comfortable night's sleep.  I logged in for one 30 minute presentation (which became an hour) this morning then retired back to bed.  I've slept for about eight hours since this morning and seem to have a lot of symptoms of food poisoning as well and cannot face any food; no-one else in the family is affected despite eating the same as me.

Last time I felt this bad was flying back from Hong Kong via a Bangkok stopover.  By the time we landed in London I couldn't even keep water down and didn't get out of bed for two days.

Errrggghhhh.

Not totally recovered yet and still not fit for work today, but I do now get 5 minutes notice of needing the get to a toilet instead of the previous 5 seconds..... 

It was impressive ringing my GP's surgery this morning to ask for an emergency appointment (I figured food poisoning really should have passed by now) and got a phone-back consultation within 30 minutes with the advice that if it's viral rather than bacterial, it might last a week.  I'm on advice to keep up my fluids, eat bland food and stay at home till it clears up.  Since I normally work from home 3d/wk that's no problem, plus on Wed/Thur this week the trains will be not running or starting too late for me anyway.

You do forget how these things sap your energy, for the last three days I'd get up for an hour, do very little then have to go back to bed for two hours or more.  Between Thursday night and Saturday morning I slept for 22 hours.  Still completely baffled where I've picked up this bug from though.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Not totally recovered yet and still not fit for work today, but I do now get 5 minutes notice of needing the get to a toilet instead of the previous 5 seconds..... 

I have the same problem if I drink Limpopo water...

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

It seems that the OP has chucked a Thunderflash thru' the doorway and then retired a safe distance to see what happens

In the early days of online bulletin boards such posts were known as “trolling for newbies”. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Today's item brought home for repair is the car key 🙄

The rear cover appears to have disintegrated. 

Too heavy handed that Mrs SM42 I tell yer.

Andy

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Today's item brought home for repair is the car key 🙄

The rear cover appears to have disintegrated. 

Andy

Bear has just purchased a new key fob case (for a friend's Aygo) from the 'bay - a fiver to you, Sir.  Just swap the guts from the old case (not forgetting the very small "chip") and it's job done.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear has just purchased a new key fob case (for a friend's Aygo) from the 'bay - a fiver to you, Sir.  Just swap the guts from the old case (not forgetting the very small "chip") and it's job done.

I'm trying some glue first

Andy

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, SM42 said:

The paint brush has been hung up for the day. 

The unfitted grey is drying nicely but will definitely need a second coat and maybe a third. 

We are thinking of picnicking next to the babbling brook at the end of the drive this evening. 

Andy

I'd get it a Christmas tree and lights as well as it took almost twelve months for United Utilities to admit it was their fault with us. Mind you once they'd decided that they got it done pretty smartish.

The Christmas lights did look nice though on the temporary fencing.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

I was quite impressed that Aditi once pulled the whole cable and some of the choke mechanism through the dashboard on her Volvo. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I was quite impressed that Aditi once pulled the whole cable and some of the choke mechanism through the dashboard on her Volvo. 

I met a young lady at a Renault dealership who pulled the handbrake lever of her 3 month old Megane out of the floor mounts. 

Tore it right off the bolts. 

Andy

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

21 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I met a young lady at a Renault dealership who pulled the handbrake lever of her 3 month old Megane out of the floor mounts. 

Tore it right off the bolts. 

Andy

"It just came away in my hand." 😆

• Funny 10