Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

16 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I have occasion when feeling a little bored to try some of the national newspapers ( I use the word cautiously) clickbait. 

I do this for a laugh or more likely to wonder in exasperation what on earth people are being paid to write and what ever happened to proper journalism. 

Today's outing was from the Express

" Why you should never wear trainers to the airport"

I was expecting something to do with security profiling or some sort of emergency evacuation, melting whilst exiting a burning aeroplane type of thing, but no

You should never wear trainers because if you have to take them of at security, then you have to tie the laces when you put them back on and you could get all flustered and it delays you ( by about 30 seconds I suppose). 

Why just trainers?

Holding up your trousers whilst your belt is scanned is just as bad, but they don't say never wear trousers.

Having said that, the trouser/belt situation has a real security benefit as it is harder to run away whilst holding up your trousers.

Andy

Wondering what the world is coming to

Its that well known phrase - in a handcart to hell.

Anyway it's the silly season yes I know it now lasts the entire year for some 'media' (word used advisably) you expect stupid/in and/ proverbial taking items.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Ninja Guinea pigs are worse. 

They'll eat everything in their path.

Finish the mission 5 times bigger than when they started. 

Ninja gerbils would just get trapped in  the wall cavity or behind the cooker

Could be worse I suppose. 

Ninja hippos

Wouldn't want them in your wall cavities 

Andy 

You'd be fine.

This is the only picture I could find of a Ninja Hippo:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

(My italics)

As a keen amateur Chef I only have one question to ask when buying new kit for the kitchen: would these features be found on the professional version? If the answer is “No” then I look for another model/manufacturer.

Professional gear is designed to do one (or a few) thing(s), do it well and do it well thousands of times.

The latest not-found-on-professional-gear wheeze for extracting money (if not the urine) from customers is the WiFi equipped oven that allows the victim, sorry Customer, the ability to control the oven from their smart phone. A feature I’ve failed to find on any of the professional ovens I’ve looked at lately…

Oh, and it adds about (at least?) £850 onto the base price of the oven (which is why it seems manufacturers love this feature. Of one Swiss manufacturer’s of range of oven models, only about three of twenty different models were without this feature)

One of the problems that manufacturers have to address is space in the kitchen.  It is all very well having simple sturdy machines for each process, but few houses (at least in the UK) have the space in their kitchen area to house all these magnificent beasts.

So in a sop to the peasants who cannot afford a minor stately home with a kitchen and food preparation area the size of a tennis court, all sorts of gold plated 'bolt ons' get added.

Of course the snobbish and the social climbers will not buy these multi purpose machines, as their egos insist on the even more expensive machines with the useless additional components because they can, and can then boast about them to their long suffering neighbours and relatives. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SM42 said:

I fail to see why any household appliances need WiFi, unless course youi intend to use them to overload the Internet.

Perhaps you could ask your fridge to put the joint in the oven you have turned on whilst the other appliances prepare the veg, so that when you cone home your WiFi connected dining room table has  dinner waiting

Unless you want to preheat the oven whilst you are on the commute there's no point. 

It seems that the fact that you need  to be there for any of this to be any use ( and hence can just turn it on msnually)  has been overlooked. 

Like cars, manufacturers are caught in a "look how clever we are for adding useless gimmicks" arms race.

The only possible things that maybe of use to control remotely are your lights. Then you can look like your in when you are not, or turn the outside light on for when you get home on a dark evening. 

But then again there are things called timers and PIR sensors. 

Andy

One cyber security company reported a couple of years ago that the most commonly-installed home smart meter posed a significant security risk to the whole UK.  It could be easily hacked and adjusted; you would think the worst was that some foreign power could turn your heating off?  As the correspondent said, if all our heating up was turned to maximum at once, the electricity grid would trip out across most of the country.  Yes it's a small risk, but we live in times when such things have to be considered and by having a function in the appliance that most of will never benefit from, we have introduced that risk.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

One cyber security company reported a couple of years ago that the most commonly-installed home smart meter posed a significant security risk to the whole UK.  It could be easily hacked and adjusted; you would think the worst was that some foreign power could turn your heating off?  As the correspondent said, if all our heating up was turned to maximum at once, the electricity grid would trip out across most of the country. 

A moment's though will show that is utter bunkum. All the smart meter does is monitor usage. (At least that's the case with ours, which is pretty much bog-standard, and hence, I presume, commonly installed.) It has no communication with the control unit or thermostat. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SM42 said:

Having said that, the trouser/belt situation has a real security benefit as it is harder to run away whilst holding up your trousers.

Dad took part in Operation Archery, the 1941 commando raid on Vaagso and Maaloy in Norway.

When I was a child he gave me some Wehrmacht trouser buttons that had been removed from the prisoners taken during the raid.  The commandos couldn't spare many men to guard them so cut off their trouser buttons so they couldn't run away before being loaded onto the landing craft.  The buttons were made from a plastic-like substance and eventually disintegrated in the '70s.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

A moment's though will show that is utter bunkum. All the smart meter does is monitor usage. (At least that's the case with ours, which is pretty much bog-standard, and hence, I presume, commonly installed.) It has no communication with the control unit or thermostat. 

We have a Hive system for our hot water and heating, which can be programmed on-line and adjusted remotely.  The latter function we rarely use but it's probably hack-able to the right (or wrong) type of person.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Northmoor said:

We have a Hive system for our hot water and heating, which can be programmed on-line and adjusted remotely.  The latter function we rarely use but it's probably hack-able to the right (or wrong) type of person.

Then you are at risk of a Russian winter...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

"What are doing, Dear?"

"Just discussing with The Lads the finer points of Black Ops Ninja Gerbils, Guinea Pigs and Hippos' - all operating under a framework of plausible deniability and funded by a budget that doesn't exist.  Oh yes, and the Hippo's are invisible......"

Good Luck.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

They can be found.

image.png.8f4b70eb0a11df2266d353cca364fc50.png

Have you been looking in your wall cavities again?

1 hour ago, Lochgorm said:

A fate amply deserved by all those who fail to change the password from the manufacturer’s initial factory setting.

Charlie 

I have yet to discover a way of achieving this. Fortunately I have unhackable, manually controlled,  hard wired  heating

Locating the menu for such an operation on any device has proved impossible 

Change the password they say.

How you ask? 

It's easy they say, but never how

Check the Internet for advice you think

OK, click there and no, my on screen menu looks nothing like that and that option doesn't exist in any sub menu I try

Give up and decide that hackers probably aren't worried about burning my toast, making me a cup of tea or turning off the lights. 

Ar least it would save me so.e money if they did.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Some charity shops have in house staff that do PAT testing of electricals.

The rabid over zealous use of PAT testing  and the money that was being made from it  took a blow when, sensibly, the requirements became a lot more relaxed.  For the majority of items it's now only (or was when I last looked at the regs) a visual inspection of plugs switches and wires.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

There was little to clear after my parents died as dad came to live with me after mum died. Most of the stuff I had inherited anyway as I bought the house off of them when dad retired, they moved out into a park home that had a lot of the furnishings fitted. My mum was only 67 when she died of cancer and it came as quite a blow to dad. He even left a few things behind such as his WW2 medals, fortunately the park home manager found them and returned them and my brother now has them. When dad died there was not a lot to do, a month before he died he was told not to drive any more so he signed his car over to me and I passed my car over to my niece who had only just passed her test. A few other items were redistributed and once probate had been settled there was nothing left and no outstanding debts.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The rabid over zealous use of PAT testing  and the money that was being made from it  took a blow when, sensibly, the requirements became a lot more relaxed.  For the majority of items it's now only (or was when I last looked at the regs) a visual inspection of plugs switches and wires.

Fortunately both clubs with which I am involved have members who are qualified to do PAT testing. My brother was as well but due to his ill health no longer does it.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

When she had gone, though, I looked around at what was left of what my Mum and Dad had worked so hard during their lives for.....

You're left (plus any other siblings).

Not a bad result I'd say.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

I had a couple of jobs to do today. Rewire the steam generator iron and sort out a replacement rodding eye for a drain. 
I did the iron this morning. I must congratulate Tefal, it was easy to dismantle to replace the mains lead. The existing lead disappeared into a printed circuit board but I snipped it near the board and used Wago 221 straight connectors to make the join. Loads of room, much easier than fitting decoders in tiny locos. 
Aditi was planning to sit in the garden with a friend to sort out some French Circle admin so I decided not to do my drain work which included noisily attacking concrete with a chisel. However it was cloudy and they stayed in so I did remove the old broken cover and modified a new one to fit. Interestingly £2.60 + £4 postage from an Amazon trader or £22 with free postage from another Amazon trader. As I needed two I went for the £2.60 each plus £4 postage. 
Tony

• Like 11