Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

The estimate for bike repairs and  renovations is 100PLN. 

Less than £20

This includes new chain, repairs  to the unable to be properly secured handlebars and saddle and general fettling of other rather vital parts such as wheels, brakes and cranks.

The bike has probably done a couple of thousand miles in its time as it is the BiL's old bike. 

It owes me nothing and cheaper than a new bike. 

It was a bit odd having the mechanical condition of a bicycle assessed by someone who had to do it by feel due to poor eyesight, but if it results in a usable and safe  bike I'm not going to argue. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SM42 said:

Evening train watching pass has been granted. 

Wooohoo!

Andy

I've had one of those today as well.  Just got home from Tours Sant-Pierre-des-Corps.  A real name to conjour with.  Lots of trains in 35 degree heat.  One teain was pink all over.  No hospital visits were needed which is a bonus.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

27 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

May be he has already and keeping stum. The thought did occur to me as to how he was able to afford the extensive renovation of SM 42 Towers or is it now Chateau SM 42.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Some damn fine ideas there folks! I am quite prepared to act as collecting agent for all donations of cake and whisky (LDC and Lagavulin 15 preferred) and will then undertake to deliver some of it to the Muddy Hollow. Should any interference be attempted with this humane and altruistic endeavour I will seek the assistance of Captain Cynical Industrie GMBH (Security Division).

Dave

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Some damn fine ideas there folks! I am quite prepared to act as collecting agent for all donations of cake and whisky (LDC and Lagavulin 15 preferred) and will then undertake to deliver some of it to the Muddy Hollow. Should any interference be attempted with this humane and altruistic endeavour I will seek the assistance of Captain Cynical Industrie GMBH (Security Division).

Dave

Hmmm, for such an important mission it does sound like DH should have a thoroughly trustworthy** Wing-Bear.....

** Bear doesn't drink, so the Whisky is totally safe.  Just thought I'd mention that.

• Like 5

OK one for the psychologists to analyse 

I've have awoken this morning with quite clear recollections of a very strange dream. 

For reasons best known to no-one in particular, I was taking part in a 63 mile run 😲 along the canals of Britain 

We started in Manchester. Local historians were stationed en route to give talks to the participants 

Having run several miles, I reached the end of the canal, endured the history lesson whilst looking for the next canal to run along, there being no junction.

Having gone a couple of miles looking for it with some other participants, a local told us it was 3 miles back the way we had come.

On the way back I bumped into Helen Skelton ( ex Blue Peter presenter and also lost) who was  taking part and we agreed to run together.

We arrived back at the previous canal ( which looked  a lot like Coventry canal basin) and had another history lesson before heading off for the next leg. 

At this point my new running buddy disappeared and I was joined by an anonymous someone else, I have no further recollection of what happened  next 

I awoke refreshed and not feeling like I'd run a marathon or 2  so I know it didn't really happen.

How wierd? 

I'm definitely not built for running.

Perhaps it was the Italian beer I had last night. 

Andy

• Like 5
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I've have awoken this morning with quite clear recollections of a very strange dream. 

For reasons best known to no-one in particular, I was taking part in a 63 mile run 😲 along the canals of Britain 

We started in Manchester. Local historians were stationed en route to give talks to the participants 

Having run several miles, I reached the end of the canal, endured the history lesson whilst looking for the next canal to run along, there being no junction.

Having gone a couple of miles looking for it with some other participants, a local told us it was 3 miles back the way we had come.

On the way back I bumped into Helen Skelton ( ex Blue Peter presenter and also lost) who was  taking part and we agreed to run together.

We arrived back at the previous canal ( which looked  a lot like Coventry canal basin) and had another history lesson before heading off for the next leg. 

At this point my new running buddy disappeared and I was joined by an anonymous someone else, I have no further recollection of what happened  next 

I awoke refreshed and not feeling like I'd run a marathon or 2  so I know it didn't really happen.

How wierd? 

Andy

The dream is a simple precursor of what you will be doing if the bike is not fixed in time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The dream is a simple precursor of what you will be doing if the bike is not fixed in time.

I've got that sussed.

Head off. Hide for a while and arrive at the end of ride BBQ in record time 

Might do that anyway 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

How wierd? 

Andy

From what I've heard of dream analysis, it almost certainly won't have anything to do with canals, historians or Helen Skelton.  It almost certainly will be something about unresolved issues with your mother and would you like to book a series of longer sessions with me, Sir?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

51 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Last night's starters (LDC):

image.png.0ddf2372d3031e1019d0a3b105ae394f.png

Followed by the Bara Brith:

image.png.c66a9ccfec4e7f6f72c1f4847a534e96.png

And finally 3 x 500 gallon of best Japanese Malt whisky:

image.png.88aba2b49bfe0bceb0e1899469df7d24.png

On a diet I see Big H or should we be calling you not so t big H?

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 10

36 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

From what I've heard of dream analysis, it almost certainly won't have anything to do with canals, historians or Helen Skelton.  It almost certainly will be something about unresolved issues with your mother and would you like to book a series of longer sessions with me, Sir?

That'll be his Edipus Rex.

• Funny 6

11 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

….Should any interference be attempted with this humane and altruistic endeavour I will seek the assistance of Captain Cynical Industrie GMBH (Security Division).

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Hmmm, for such an important mission it does sound like DH should have a thoroughly trustworthy** Wing-Bear.....

An amateur or the professionals, Dave? Your choice!

Actually, Dave, you could go for the Bear (assuming you have bear proof cake transport [definitely a must in such circumstances]) as CCI GmbH (security) is a bit stretched at the moment due to summer hols and many on-duty security staff attending the “advanced eco-protester unsticking” workshop* 

But if you are not sure about the Bear’s “Paws Off Cake” pledge, I’m sure CCI GmbH can come to an arrangement.

*aka fun and games with a dermatome 🤣

• Like 4
  • Funny 3