Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Brownie points evaporate at the same rate as water at boiling point.

Brownie points are like dealing with the cat's litter tray. You have to constantly top it up at great unnecessary expense and dig through all the s#!te  every day otherwise there's a nasty air that just gets worse!

Talking of nasty air, it's been in the 100sF all week with smoke from wildfires down in California and progressive humidity building up. 

That accumulated in a nasty thunderstorm which came up the valley just after lunch. The last two bolts hit the mountain less than a mile away. I drove up there to check for smoke (not that you can see much what with all the trees) and passed two fire crews on the way down. 

At least I managed to get in the garage and finish off some ballasting.

I've not built kits for quite a while having advanced to scratch building. I would build some more Ian Kirk coach kits if I could get my hands on some of the LNER types but then again, they would probably get kit bashed and detailed. The best plastic kits are always the ones which are hard to come by, like the Armageddon LCT4. Anyone wanting to make a start on railway kits, the Parkside range are a joy to build!

Talk about a mixed day. Oh dam, I forgot to clean out Skatoosh's tray. There goes my points!      

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Can someone  tell me where those mythical 7 day shelf life brownie points can be found please.  7 seconds more likely.  I allegedly have some somewhere for using a 12BA nut and bolt to mend someone's  glasses.

It's nice outside so time to go for a bike ride..as the sgt used to say after briefings on early turn.  "The streets are aired, get out there".

Jamie  

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 10

Ah, brownie points!  I’ve heard of them, but have never accumulated any. Simply because I have no need of them.

With separate income streams, Mrs ID and I do not have to rely upon a single income in order to pay for our tiny pleasures – thus acquisition of items up to an informal limit of about £X requires no marital negotiation. Anything over about £X requires a certain degree of discussion, but generally is a mere formality. Only when an expense is over about £ 5-times-X then negotiation, discussion and compromise (if appropriate) IS required.

To put it in context (using business terminology)

> Buying a new, inexpensive, guitar, a model, dog training books , hairdresser appointments or model railway items – no notification required.

>  A weekend in London. a month in the Holiday Hovel or a new IT item (such as a new iPhone) – notification required.

> A joint holiday to the US or Asia, room re-purposing/redecorating in the house or a new car – negotiation, discussion and joint approval and sign off required.

Of course, the above system is only possible because of one, critical, factor:

NO CHILDREN

As far as I can make out from the lives of all my friends who have sprogs, once the Rugrats arrive all sorts of financial plans  (such as the above) go out the window.

Edited by iL Dottore
To include some of Mrs iD’s stuff
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Ah, brownie points!  I’ve heard of them, but have never accumulated any. Simply because I have no need of them.

With separate income streams, Mrs ID and I do not have to rely upon a single income in order to pay for our tiny pleasures – thus acquisition of items up to an informal limit of about £X requires no marital negotiation. Anything over about £X requires a certain degree of discussion, but generally is a mere formality. Only when an expense is over about £ 5-times-X then negotiation, discussion and compromise (if appropriate) IS required.

To put it in context (using business terminology)

> Buying a new, inexpensive, guitar, a model, dog training books , hairdresser appointments or model railway items – no notification required.

>  A weekend in London. a month in the Holiday Hovel or a new IT item (such as a new iPhone) – notification required.

> A joint holiday to the US or Asia, room re-purposing/redecorating in the house or a new car – negotiation, discussion and joint approval and sign off required.

Of course, the above system is only possible because of one, critical, factor:

NO CHILDREN

As far as I can make out from the lives of all my friends who have sprogs, once the Rugrats arrive all sorts of financial plans  (such as the above) go out the window.

But which category did the illegal annexation of modelling space fit into.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

An Example of the competence of government agencies. Two days after Dad died I advised the TV licensing mob of the fact and that his house was as of then unoccupied. A week ago I received, at my address, acknowledgement together with a cheque for the remaining time of the license. Yesterday I found a letter on Dad's doormat from the TV licensing lot stating that his address was without a valid TV license and unless this was resolved by August 1st or they were advised of a change of circumstance it would be reported to the local recovery office. I ask you. As far as I am concerned there is no chance that I'm going to bother replying and if they want to take further action they can do - prior to wiping the egg off their incompetent faces. 

Dave

When Uncle Psycho Bear's Momma Bear died he figured he'd use up the 6 months (or whatever it was) still remaining on her TV Licence, as his was about to expire.  Cashing hers in for a refund and putting it towards his licence wasn't on the cards cos' his way was simpler.....

Fast forward to the Detector Van - and a collar felt, followed by a court appearance where he represented himself.  I suspect the court recognised he wasn't out to fiddle the system but no, that's not the way things are done Uncle PB and so you're fined two hundred notes.

Well Uncle PB wasn't "bluddy well gonna pay it" - so Auntie Poly did when he wasn't looking, as she realised it was all getting a bit serious.  By all accounts he went Ape-Sh1t and phoned the Court demanding the money back cos' it hadn't been paid with his knowledge or authority.  They told him to go Foxtrot - no doubt in the nicest legal terms though.

Was Uncle PB beaten?  Oh no.  He worked in a Bank and was often used to cover staff absence in other branches, for which they paid pretty generous travel costs.  So he fare dodged for a few weeks to get the two hundred notes back that way......

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Can someone  tell me where those mythical 7 day shelf life brownie points can be found please.  7 seconds more likely.  I allegedly have some somewhere for using a 12BA nut and bolt to mend someone's  glasses.

It's nice outside so time to go for a bike ride..as the sgt used to say after briefings on early turn.  "The streets are aired, get out there".

Jamie  

You have to work them to get them to last.

Just leaving them in the bank means they are eaten away at by aggrevation. 

They are like Tamagotchi. Neglect them and they die. Look after them, feed them and they may last a week. 

Use them quickly and wisely otherwise you won't get away with whatever you wish to use them for.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 9

18 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

But which category did the illegal annexation of modelling space fit into.

Jamie

Ancient history, Jamie, ancient history. Like France and Germany, we’re now all good friends (even during the darkest days of the illegal annexation of the Modelleisenbahnländer diplomatic contacts were - somewhat frostily - maintained)

• Funny 11

3 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Just remember though, the memory of the female of the species is like that f an elephant and nothing is ever forgotten.   Just stored up for future use.   

Indeed, but - if I may dare say so Jamie - SWMBO needs to be educated that the purpose of remembering is so that mistakes are not made twice…

How this would play out in your neck of the woods I couldn’t even begin to speculate on….

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

23 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Just remember though, the memory of the female of the species is like that f an elephant and nothing is ever forgotten.   Just stored up for future use.   I am still not forgiven for passing a silent but deadly in a National Trust shop 44 years ago and leaving the scene without telling.

Jamie

Perhaps you should have  changed the battery in your hearing  aid that day 😆

Serious news was delivered last night at the BBQ

I may or may not have mentioned that whilst in the motherland, the SiL has booked us on an organised cycle ride over by Gorzow Wielkopolski. 

Two issues. 

1. Getting the bikes there 

2. It was announced yesterday that it is 56km long

Serious training is now required as the last time I cycled anything like that was a year ago ( C&HPR) and with the exception of 5 minutes each way last night, not touched the bike since.

D day is a week Saturday. 

Training ride planned for this evening.

Andy

Walking like he couldn't stop a pig in an entry

Edited by SM42
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

11 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Perhaps you should have  changed the battery in your hearing  aid that day 😆

Serious news was delivered last night at the BBQ

I may or may not have mentioned that whilst in the motherland, the SiL has booked us on an organised cycle ride over by Gorzow Wielkopolski. 

Two issues. 

1. Getting the bikes there 

2. It was announced yesterday that it is 56km long

Serious training is now required as the last time I cycled anything like that was a year ago ( C&HPR) and with the exception of 5 minutes each way last night, not touched the bike since.

D day is a week Saturday. 

Training ride planned for this evening.

Andy

Walking like he couldn't stop a pig in an entry

Greased I hope.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Just remember though, the memory of the female of the species is like that f an elephant and nothing is ever forgotten.   Just stored up for future use.   I am still not forgiven for passing a silent but deadly in a National Trust shop 44 years ago and leaving the scene without telling.

Jamie

It is alleged that it still haunts the premises.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Being single I have no need for brownie points and my house has never had any female visitors for years. Its not necessary to have a SWMBO to issue or deduct brownie points I know but my female relatives live too far away or have difficulty travelling.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I managed to get away from the model shop with the paint I need and another item. 

Unfortunately, or fortunately the shop was closed for a short while whilst the owner was off running some errands. 

This reduced time available before picking up Mrs SM42 and also reigned in  the temptation. 

I appear to have got away with it this time.

I have been allocated another visit on Thursday. I think she expects me to be tempted a lot more then.

Andy

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I managed to get away from the model shop with the paint I need and another item. 

Unfortunately, or fortunately the shop was closed for a short while whilst the owner was off running some errands. 

This reduced time available before picking up Mrs SM42 and also reigned in  the temptation. 

I appear to have got away with it this time.

I have been allocated another visit on Thursday. I think she expects me to be tempted a lot more then.

Andy

Buy some of the Phoenix Follies and see how your temptation will be curbed:

image.png.2d22abee9e456a9abaf50624b90fd55d.png

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Buy some of the Phoenix Follies and see how your temptation will be curbed:

image.png.2d22abee9e456a9abaf50624b90fd55d.png

Well that's weird 

Seems you can find a market for anything 

Wedgwood has really gone  to the dogs.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

That's nothing, try visiting hobby shops in Japan and East Asia. A very good model shop here has a range of Japanese kits combining WW2 German armoured vehicles such as the Panther tank combined with anime figures of young ladies with rather unlikely looking bodies, very scantily clad. A splendid combination.....

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

That's nothing, try visiting hobby shops in Japan and East Asia. A very good model shop here has a range of Japanese kits combining WW2 German armoured vehicles such as the Panther tank combined with anime figures of young ladies with rather unlikely looking bodies, very scantily clad. A splendid combination.....

Sounds very shall we say interesting 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Something worth doing if you ever travel on Japanese commuter trains and metro/subway services is to discretely look at some of the reading material people enjoy, and feel perfectly comfortable enjoying in public. It's funny, in general people in Japan are probably the most courteous and polite people anywhere, in other ways there is a bonkersness about Japan which is, well, bonkers. I love Japan, it's probably my favourite country, the people, the food, the culture, the trains, I just find it a truly wonderful place.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

"You won't catch them in here !"

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I now find that having what is best described a long day takes a further day to recover.

The rugby sevens was a great day out, but I did find it physically gruelling.  This afternoon has been very lazy.

Probably just as well,  as my daughter and two of the grandchildren are arriving tomorrow to stay for nearly a week.

After that gruelling experience, I'll then need another couple of days to recover🤣.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6