Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

MER was heaving again today, for the continuing transport festival, cars 1, 2, 7, 9, 14, 21, 32, 33 and a clopper in service - first day of the cloppertrams for three years.

ohn

68319700_20220729_1558581.jpg.626e1180c0e329a4163ab58a96dbd2bd.jpg

Ah, takes me back to the days of my youth when we used to stay in Douglas near the ferry port and we'd get the horse tram to the top end of the bay, onto the MER to Ramsey then steam train via St. John's to Peel then back to Douglas, again via St. John's. Happy days!

Dave

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Close HH - 8/10 - but to be 10/10 it would be 'Dave: break right: SAM 7 o'clock.' (addressee, action, information) 

Dave

Well, if that's your attitude, I'll not bother to tell you next time🤣

• Funny 13

We have arrived in the motherland.

Delays en route due to accidents and resultant diversions and I also delayed others by only getting up to 104mph on the autobahn.

Time for a good night's sleep

Andy

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

On nomenclature in business and the work place it has always struck me that if it isn't reasonably clear what someone does from their job title there is probably one of two things at play. The person concerned is either engaged in some pointless make work scheme, or they have been given a splendid sounding title to help them feel better about an awful job and/or awful pay.

I should say that by talking about what someone does, I mean what do the actually do and of what relevance is it to anything useful or productive. One of my former employers had a 'voice of the customer', which meant they worked in complaints.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Human Resources is specifically intended to exclude bear persons.

I presume it excludes Hippos as well.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

'HH: quick f@rt: cake bandits 6 o'clock.'

Dave

DH aiding and abetting Big H to commit a War Crime.  This is getting nasty.

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Human Resources is specifically intended to exclude bear persons.

25 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Oh dear such blatant discrimination in this day and age. Where's my lawyer - Sue'em, Flogem and Runforit.

WB shares Bear's thoughts exactly.....

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I presume it excludes Hippos as well.

Jamie

HR/Personnel departments are only required by organisations and businesses who employ others.

Hippos are only employed short term at a senior management level so they can walk in, crap over everyone who gets in their way and then move on. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

HR/Personnel departments are only required by organisations and businesses who employ others.

Hippos are only employed short term at a senior management level so they can walk in, crap over everyone who gets in their way and then move on. 

I thought that was Butterflies or as I called them Seagulls.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

DH aiding and abetting Big H to commit a War Crime.  This is getting nasty.

That's not a war crime, it's considered as human humane despatch.

I hear a rumour that the last person to try and raid your cake repository was force fed raw cake mix until they were fit to burst and then cooked at 180 degrees in a fan oven for 45 minutes.  A savoury and sweet dish all in one!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

I thought that was Butterflies or as I called them Seagulls.

Jamie

One should be grateful that the hippo has an inability to fly.

A Hippo squadron would be classed as a terror weapon:  and that's not by the enemy, but anyone under the flight path.

We wouldn't need precision munitions or the overhyped Norden bombsight.

You can probably visualise the rest.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

One should be grateful that the hippo has an inability to fly.

A Hippo squadron would be classed as a terror weapon:  and that's not by the enemy, but anyone under the flight path.

We wouldn't need precision munitions or the overhyped Norden bombsight.

You can probably visualise the rest.

A strato hippo then?

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

23 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Let's use a long word instead of a short one🤣.

22 hours ago, polybear said:

Big H beat me to it - for a word often used when you need a fast response it'd make far more sense to use a shorter word. 

Ooh, don’t get me started….

One of my “light up and go tilt“ pet peeves is the Americanisation : “prior to” as in “prior to the infusion, administer 500 mg acetaminophen“ as opposed to “before the infusion, administer 500 mg acetaminophen”. Why my American colleagues can’t write simple, plain, English and have to turn nouns into verbs, use pseudo Latin (like “prior to“) and the like, is totally beyond me.

Whilst I freely admit that medical English is a bastardisation of standard English, ancient Greek, Latin with some French and German thrown in for good measure, when ancient Greek or Latin are used it is for a very good reason. And their origin is due to the fact that the study of medicine by physicians was historically an academic discipline, taught at university (for which you traditionally needed Greek and Latin), whereas surgery was a practical profession “learnt on the job” (certainly in the UK, which is why traditionally, physicians are known as Doctor and surgeons are known as Mister)  For example: καρδια = cardia = heart (or from the Latin musculus latissimus dorsi) are academic anatomical/medical descriptors - some of which have been anglicised over the centuries.

But even with use of anatomical and medical descriptors from the ancient Greek and/or Latin in medical and scientific work, you can still write in perfectly coherent and simple English. for example, instead of writing “prior to this episode of cardiomegaly“ the simpler and clearer version would be “before this episode of cardiomegaly

Sir Winston Churchill, wrote an excellent essay about the use of plain English – something I would recommend as a read to anyone wanting to write clearly.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

MER was heaving again today, for the continuing transport festival, cars 1, 2, 7, 9, 14, 21, 32, 33 and a clopper in service - first day of the cloppertrams for three years.

Huh. In Cockington, the bijou village where Sherry and I were married, they've just elected a new mayor - Patrick the Pony really is a Shetland! Local MP Kevin Foster attended a ceremony earlier this week, and I believe Zoe Ball is scheduled to be interviewing for Radio 2......

• Like 8
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Huh. In Cockington, the bijou village where Sherry and I were married, they've just elected a new mayor - Patrick the Pony really is a Shetland! Local MP Kevin Foster attended a ceremony earlier this week, and I believe Zoe Ball is scheduled to be interviewing for Radio 2......

I'm sure that Patrick will do a much better job than some of the other elected mayors we have been inflicted with over the years.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

I've often thought that the common perception that when Caligula appointed his horse a senator it was the act of a madman, it was, in fact, given the track records of some Roman senators, one of the more sensible things he did.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Another triumph for the species White Van Man. I wonder whether they have to do a special course in pi$$ poor driving or does it come naturally?

He did of course apologise and was very helpful in using some sort of industrial strength super glue (called Mitre Bond ?) to stick the rear panel back together so the end of the caravan wasn't flapping about when we were driving.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Another triumph for the species White Van Man. I wonder whether they have to do a special course in pi$$ poor driving or does it come naturally?

Dave

They get worse when they are normally car drivers who hire a van for the weekend☹️

• Like 2
  • Agree 6