Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

My new portable oscillating sander arrived this morning.

It also has a set of clamps to mount it to the bench, so if I was minded, I could easily make a larger 'base' out of some thin ply were it deemed necessary.

I've set it up and it works well, and I can see it being a very useful tool especially if you want to file your finger nails.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've set it up and it works well, and I can see it being a very useful tool especially if you want to file your finger nails.

Obviously that now takes less time than it used to so why do you need to speed the process up.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago I had a car with a dodgy handbrake.  I had backed it down our steep drive to unload something, probably  part of Green Ayre.  Trying to do a hill start only got the towball nearer to the garage door.  I ended up having to heel and toe i to get it off the drive.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Google Ford 'Powershitft' problems....ooerr.  Many VW's had this box too.

Some of the early Ecoboost engines were quite problematic too. Which is a shame as for internal combustion engines the idea of a small capacity highly blown engine is excellent. We had a Golf 1.4TSI, I think it was 150PS, superb engine.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Some years ago I had a car with a dodgy handbrake.  I had backed it down our steep drive to unload something, probably  part of Green Ayre.  Trying to do a hill start only got the towball nearer to the garage door.  I ended up having to heel and toe i to get it off the drive.

Jamie

On steep driveways you can always chock the back wheels with a baulk of timber.  And then just drive away.  Not recommended on a public highway as other road users object to running over the baulk at about 30 mph (or higher).

In the military,  you would just get a couple of Pioneers to hold the vehicle for you.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It also has a set of clamps to mount it to the bench, so if I was minded, I could easily make a larger 'base' out of some thin ply were it deemed necessary.

I hope you got a 10% discount.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Oh Don't. There was a time when I worked in a huge furniture factory. Guess who had a first aid course. One of the blokes, Bert (everybody was called Bert even the two girls) flipped an oak part while edge sanding it and it took all the skin off of all his knuckles.

Looked much worse than it was. Then his deaf mate came along to see what had happened, took one look at all the blood and passed out banging his head on the way down. Nightmare!

Be careful with your new toy Hippo.

Regards Shaun.   

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

On steep driveways you can always chock the back wheels with a baulk of timber.  And then just drive away.  Not recommended on a public highway as other road users object to running over the baulk at about 30 mph (or higher).

In the military,  you would just get a couple of Pioneers to hold the vehicle for you.

I could of course have found a local hippo to stand between the car and the door.

Jamie

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Oh Don't. There was a time when I worked in a huge furniture factory. Guess who had a first aid course. One of the blokes, Bert (everybody was called Bert even the two girls) flipped an oak part while edge sanding it and it took all the skin off of all his knuckles.

Looked much worse than it was. Then his deaf mate came along to see what had happened, took one look at all the blood and passed out banging his head on the way down. Nightmare!

Be careful with your new toy Hippo.

Regards Shaun.   

Thanks Shaun, it joins the fleet of power tools I already have some of whom have given me a little nibble over the years.

I had the stitches out of Stumpy this afternoon, and the dressings on both him and Lucky have been much reduced.  I'm back in a week for another inspection as the medics are still really concerned about infection even though everything appears clean and healing well.

The consultant has told me I will need some physio to the pair of them as their enforced immobility has made them quite stiff.

35 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I could of course have found a local hippo to stand between the car and the door.

Jamie

Asked nicely you would have got a bump start, or at least air (ish) assist.

Hippos are not just pretty faces you know!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

I've not visited this thread before - I guess I'm missing something, so I've added it to my followed threads.  Why I've not visited is due to sheer laziness on my part

I see some old friends here - great to renew your acquaintance - and of course, many current friends from ERs - hello to you too.

Stewart

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

50 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Hello,

I've not visited this thread before - I guess I'm missing something, so I've added it to my followed threads.  Why I've not visited is due to sheer laziness on my part

I see some old friends here - great to renew your acquaintance - and of course, many current friends from ERs - hello to you too.

Stewart

Welcome to another madhouse

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

We've got the Highland Cow one of those, a very nice footstool (and you can hide stuff inside it).

Don't tell PB that as he'll think I hide my stash there and convert me into a glove puppet!

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, bbishop said:

Many decades ago, I had a Terry McCann Capri.  Get the engine speed right and change gear without the clutch.

I had a 2.8i Capri for a while and also used to do that trick. I once had a bet with a colleague that I could drive from Lincoln to Coningsby without using the clutch and won £20 - and that was a fair bit in those days.  

Dave

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

4 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I had a 2.8i Capri for a while and also used to do that trick. I once had a bet with a colleague that I could drive from Lincoln to Coningsby without using the clutch and won £20 - and that was a fair bit in those days.  

Dave

But was it white?

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Anyone who owned an earlier VW Beetle had to learn how to do clutchless-changes PDQ. They were forever breaking their clutch cables 😀

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Changing gear without the clutch was always a party trick with the learners. You could even set off without using the clutch by gently pulling the gear lever towards first, which would start to move the car. I didn't do it very often as it wasn't good for the car.

In the 80s, my brother had a Ford D300 (a small truck) for transporting his stockcar around and the clutch master cylinder failed whilst we were at Leicester.

Between us - him driving/accelerator, me on the gear lever  and telling him how to press the gas pedal , with careful anticipation of the traffic, we got it back to East Lancashire by only stopping twice. Once at the services on the M6 for a PNB, and then having to stop at the motorway exit junction at Jn31.

It had a very low ratio first gear and made it relatively easy to move off without a clutch. Engine off, in gear 1 and start the engine...... 

Stopping, brake, then pull it into neutral, brake to stop, engine off and back into 1st gear, ready for the restart.

Most (all?) modern vehicles do not allow the engine to be started unless it's in neutral and/or the clutch is disengaged, which takes away the option to bypass a malfunctioning clutch.

• Like 11