Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, pH said:

Quote from a site discussing jokes like those:

“Apparently, there is something deep in the human psyche about telling such jokes.  Every culture tells similar stories, they just change the names.”

- Irish tell them about people from Kerry. (And people from other parts of Kerry allegedly tell them about people from West Kerry.)

- Other Canadians tell them about Newfoundlanders.

- Germans tell them about East Frisians. 
- Dutch tell them about Belgians (or possibly it’s the other way round).

Etc., etc …

Railway enthusiasts tell them about the Great Western....

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, polybear said:

I just happen to know a "certain Bear" that used to see road signs saying "Gwasanaethau 5 miles".  Bear did think for many years that there did seem to be an awful lot of towns named "Gwasanaethau" in Wales....

Almost as many as Tal y Bont... 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, br2975 said:

... Whilst the explanation of the   'two fingered' gesture carried some weight, there was no reference locally, to any former archers returning home minus two digits.

It was however, common local knowledge, that noblemen captured in such battles as Crecy, Agincourt, Harfleur etc would be held for ransom by the French, whereas the worthless peasant archers were of no value, and would be quickly despatched by their captors....

Captured archers could not expect a swift death. Any who got to the finger cutting stage would almost certainly have two other parts cut off and be blinded. Any French 'lucky' enough to capture one or more of the hated archers would treat them as noisy entertainment for as long as possible. Returning home wasn't an option. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, pH said:

Quote from a site discussing jokes like those:

“Apparently, there is something deep in the human psyche about telling such jokes.  Every culture tells similar stories, they just change the names.”

- Irish tell them about people from Kerry. (And people from other parts of Kerry allegedly tell them about people from West Kerry.)

- Other Canadians tell them about Newfoundlanders.

- Germans tell them about East Frisians. 
- Dutch tell them about Belgians (or possibly it’s the other way round).

Etc., etc …

And I am told that our cousins across the pond in the US, tell them about the Poles. So what happe when a Pole was elected Pope.

Jamie

• Like 6

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Suffolk folk (Moonrakers)

The name Moonrakers comes from a17C story of a Treasury Man riding past The Cramer (a lake) in Devizes [in Wiltshire]  from which some locals were trying to retrieve some barrels of brandy. Rather than get caught they feigned stupidity and claimed to be trying to rake in the reflection of the Moon. Me, I'm a Bristol (Brizzle/ Brizzl) Boy living in Wiltshire

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have Telfs, and they have  them that comes from Broseley.

Apparently, the last marriage from outside the village took place in 1893.

Them does 'Deliverance' in Severn coracles.

There are many areas of Britain that have that sort of reputation, such as the Dean Forest.  Where you meet a guy who wants to introduce his family members, "Come and meet the wife and sister" but there's only one woman standing there....

• Funny 14

32 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

There are many areas of Britain that have that sort of reputation, such as the Dean Forest.  Where you meet a guy who wants to introduce his family members, "Come and meet the wife and sister" but there's only one woman standing there....

Is that the woman with the big toe on the back of her neck

• Funny 10

Incidentally, the east wing is complete except for some snagging work and final decoration.

There is a temporary patchwork of carpet, scrounged from various friends an relatives covering the floor

Bedrooms emptied of our of place furniture and in laws in residence. 

No chance of any peace round here, bur at least me and Mrs SM42 are  not sitting knee to knee in the lounge any more. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

4 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Incidentally, the east wing is complete except for some snagging work and final decoration.

There is a temporary patchwork of carpet, scrounged from various friends an relatives covering the floor

Bedrooms emptied of our of place furniture and in laws in residence. 

No chance of any peace round here, bur at least me and Mrs SM42 are  not sitting knee to knee in the lounge any more. 

Andy

Look young man what you get up to with Mrs SM42 is nothing at all to do with us. All we're interested in is whether your railway room will be ready. So you leave Mrs SM42 alone and concentrate on your roller.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, SM42 said:

That's kind of them - but do you really need carpets? I have none. Tiles downstairs, parquet upstairs, except the bathroom which is tiled. 

Cyril Lord has a lot to answer for. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

New, mate, new.  It's replacing this that is rather more used, that is going to be rested for a month.

1188283416_20220719_1541361.jpg.cddb05054a5e87cc76cd853af0e34fcd.jpg

I must find my glasses Neil, for a minute there I thought you had named you pannier Nob!

Wonderful model BTW.

Regards Shaun

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of in-breeding the aristocracy are the worst and the higher up the tree the worse it becomes. The prime example was the Spanish Hapsburgs the last of whom, Charles II was a slobbering impotent idiot. The ancient Egyptian Pharaohs were even worse. DNA evidence suggests that Tutankhamen's parents were at least half siblings and it was known that they married brother and sister for generations to keep the bloodline 'pure'.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I must find my glasses Neil, for a minute there I thought you had named you pannier Nob!

Wonderful model BTW.

Regards Shaun

I sometimes think Jamie regretted not modelling the Furness Railway so he could have got a proper Copper Nob

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

On the subject of in-breeding the aristocracy are the worst and the higher up the tree the worse it becomes. 

It's true for the other end of the scale, you should see some of the red necks I bump into up in the woods. I usually pass them by...

...cos there ain't a mouthful of meat on any of em.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

It's true for the other end of the scale, you should see some of the red necks I bump into up in the woods. I usually pass them by...

...cos there ain't a mouthful of meat on any of em.

When investigating my family tree I traced one branch of the family back to generations of quarrymen on Portland Bill dating back to the turn of the 18th and 19th century. Back in those days Chesil bank did not exist except at very low tides making Portland Bill an island. As an island the islanders were notorious for inbreeding, indeed in my family tree there are instances of marriage between first cousins. The family surname was Anthony and even today members of the family, including myself have a resemblance that comes through that branch of the family. Even my nephew has the same family resemblance and thats seven generations after Anthony's left Portland Bill.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

24 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

When investigating my family tree I traced one branch of the family back to generations of quarrymen on Portland Bill dating back to the turn of the 18th and 19th century. Back in those days Chesil bank did not exist except at very low tides making Portland Bill an island. As an island the islanders were notorious for inbreeding, indeed in my family tree there are instances of marriage between first cousins. The family surname was Anthony and even today members of the family, including myself have a resemblance that comes through that branch of the family. Even my nephew has the same family resemblance and thats seven generations after Anthony's left Portland Bill.

Isn't genetics wonderful just when you think that you've got rid of something out it pops again.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Is that the woman with the big toe on the back of her neck

10 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ahhh, Foxdale!

You're both wrong she lives in Gomersal in the upper Spen Valley.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5