Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

All this discussion about burials has brought back memories about a terrible fight I had with Mrs iD recently. It got so ugly, that at one point she said to me that “I wish you’d drop dead” to which I replied “I just might do that, just to spite you“; “great“ she replied, “I’m going to dance on your grave“. I responded “fine by me……

….…. I’m being buried at sea

Hat, coat, gone…

I once said very similar words to MIL except I added the words and you can't swim.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Earlier this week I finished another of those small jobs that have been stacked up on the 'to do' shelf in the garage.

This time it's a short extension cable with the power controlled by a footswitch.

It is not perfect as machines with a NVR switch still need to be switched on from the machine, but it does mean that I can cut off power without removing one hand from a work piece to switch off.

It is particularly useful when using the table saw and the corded drill which lives in a vertical stand.

It will also be useful when working with any of the mains operated mini drill which have the most awkward of switches and you need three hands to operate it properly when used free hand.

Not at all original, I stole the idea from electric sewing machines and resistance soldering units.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I once said very similar words to MIL except I added the words and you can't swim.

It is not without due disrespect that the Dragon-in-Law is on the receiving end of some similar sentiments at times.  Never expressed in her presence however as there remains a chance that her estate, when the time comes, may benefit Dr. SWMBO and we don't wish to place that at risk.  Knowing her it would be were she to think for one moment that she were spoken of in such terms.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

.....a short extension cable with the power controlled by a footswitch..... it does mean that I can cut off power without removing one hand....  particularly useful when using the table saw......

Removing one hand when using a table saw is always best avoided.

Dave

• Agree 14
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

WARNING LETTING THE NEXT POST VISIBLE TO THE DOMESTIC MANAGEMENT COULD BE DANGEROUS!

No.

Quite safe.  

Mine collects tea-pots, baskets and packets of seeds!  

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Today is likely to be a full on train day.

Maybe not. 

I've not seen a train all week.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Maybe not. 

I've not seen a train all week.

Andy

So far today, neither have I, and with a new urgent tasking just appearing on the horizon, it is unlikely that I will either.

I did manage to shift 14 large sacks of rubble to the recycling centre this morning, and the bacon was good.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I will admit at this point that though I find them tedious at times, irritating at others I've never seriously fallen out with MiL or the rest of her innumerable tribe (my good wife is the youngest of seven so her nephews, nieces and sundry successors are named Legion) 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

So far today, neither have I,

Oh the irony!

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

...snip... Do I put the board outside and work in the sunshine, or remain in the garage and benefit from my efforts earlier in the week under the LED batten lights? ...snip...

The sunlight is free!

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The decision to remain in the garage was well thought out as we had a number of rather nasty rain squalls roll through this afternoon.

I saw a 95xx 'Teddy Bear' and a 14xx auto tank parked up on a siding, after being used on gauging duties.  Then I was able to cut my way through various bits of Kingspan to make up the carcass of the 'North End' bridge and embankment.

I've got one set of embossed  plastic sheet of dressed stone gluing up, and I'll try and get the other matched piece glued up this evening.  The donation of  the best part of a large pack of DAS clay by Dave a few weeks back will enable me to fill the join between the two pieces tomorrow morning.

Having measured everything up and ensured it fits, I'm building both sets of abutments and their respective embankments 'off board' and will install them just prior to fitting the bridge decking.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

And at the other end of Douglas you can find steam trains. What a great place!

Dave

Any place that has fast motorcycles and heritage railways is good in my book.  Speaking of the IoM TT, I got to say hello and grab an autograph from a few TT riders yesterday, including the fastest of all, this chap:

IMG_9574.thumb.JPG.92310530803f8ea995700d83540e5905.JPG

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Time to fill up some more bags with clay/rubble and take them down to the tip.

I will reduce the pile to zero by the end of the week.

Of course, making best use of my time means I will go and do the filling of the joints on the bridge abutments with DAS before the shovelling and bag shifting, as it will need some time to dry off.

Whilst it's drying out, and after the tip run, I can temporarily place the abutments and measure up for the small plate girders I will need to fabricate from plastic card.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

And this is the 'Beast' it competed against.

image.png.ebb66ec425919155010e26cda10f5539.png

I'd terrified to risk damaging a valuable antique like that on a wet, slippery course with stone walls and other hazards.

Dave

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1