Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

I recently replaced the 4 six foot fluorescent fittings in my garage/workshop/layout room with 4 five foot LED battens - wow!  As HH mentions, a lot of things can now be seen that I would rather I couldn't - however it has made me begin to tidy up and start on my loco project once more.

In the garden I have replaces about ten feet of wooden raised roadbed this week, as the only thing holding the track up, was......the track.  Attention now moves to the ground level section around the Koi pond - indoor types don't have these issues!

1858821343_20220622_1521001.thumb.jpg.9879a6aa39f55acf45da0e6f46223420.jpg

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 15
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I recently replaced the 4 six foot fluorescent fittings in my garage/workshop/layout room with 4 five foot LED battens - wow!  As HH mentions, a lot of things can now be seen that I would rather I couldn't - however it has made me begin to tidy up and start on my loco project once more.

In the garden I have replaces about ten feet of wooden raised roadbed this week, as the only thing holding the track up, was......the track.  Attention now moves to the ground level section around the Koi pond - indoor types don't have these issues!

1858821343_20220622_1521001.thumb.jpg.9879a6aa39f55acf45da0e6f46223420.jpg

That's a lovely bit of landscaping their Neil. It looks almost real.😀

• Funny 12

On 20/06/2022 at 22:47, J. S. Bach said:
On 20/06/2022 at 22:27, PhilJ W said:

I travelled the Shenandoah Trail 43 years ago, fantastic country.

Do the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive; a couple of days driving but well worth it.

We spent a couple of days going in each direction, spending 1 night near freezing at a campsite on a ridge in a a wooded area, lovely and quiet. Next night sweltering on a campsite in Tennessee with Country Music on the loudspeakers, some contrast.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

We spent a couple of days going in each direction, spending 1 night near freezing at a campsite on a ridge in a a wooded area, lovely and quiet. Next night sweltering on a campsite in Tennessee with Country Music on the loudspeakers, some contrast.

I drove from North to South, I was getting a bit worried that I might have got lost when the tarmac road turned to gravel but I asked at a fishing shack and they assured me that I was on the right road. I was heading for Chattanooga, another interesting place to visit.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Work on the West wing has been stepped up a gear.

Windows are in, although there is an issue with the glass that can be sorted later.)

The new boiler is in and supplying hot water only at present. Work to board out walls and lay floor ( the east wing floor being poured same time) planned for the morrow.

Scaffolding should go tomorrow  too, 3rd time lucky and windows should go in on the east wing 

One upshot of all this is the fridge is temporarily located in the dining room, making cold beer very handy for lounge occupants

I.e me. 

Why did I not think of this before?

Andy the handy beer

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Last month (or so) I found a new bulb for the basement.  Previously I had converted to LED but these seemed to be available only in lower wattages and with the light directed straight out. (Sockets are in the ceiling.) Then I found a big unit rated at actual 80 watts.*  8000 lumens on 4 panels that fold out. It did cost almost $30.

Have since seen similar units in other stores with half the light for the same price.

* lamps rated in watts here. Incandescents ranged  from 25 to 100 for standard use. A 8.8 watt LED would be about 60 watt equivalent.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

14 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

We used a mix and lay service Mixamate iirc for a shed base at my parents house 20 years or so ago. We had pre shuttered and a mate got me some rebar. They turned up with a truck with a pile of sand on and bags of cement the guy just did all the mixing we just barrowed it round the back.

It didnt work out too bad price wise compared with buying the sand gravel cement and hiring a mixer. The pour was done in one go and saved a load of time.

A lot of the readymix guys have a minimum order due to computerized batching mixing concrete to various British Standards 

The pre-mix companies will send part loads, but they charge for the full load. If you have a suitable container you can go and collect from the plant. The little 4 wheel trucks that you see buzzing around with capacities of 2 or 3 metres charge for 6 metres.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

A nice start to the day with sunshine and blue sky means we may go out somewhere rather than loiter with intent around the Hippodrome.

Now I have space in the garage and I can see what I'm doing, I'd really like to crack on with the installation of the point motors and signals on the south end of Pantmawr North's scenic boards.  However, Brigade Headquarters will make the executive decision. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Morning all.  I have a concert in London this evening.  So after the church zoom meeting, I will take the 136 bus for the length of its trip to the Elephant & Castle and walk to the South Bank.  I'll be horribly early so will take my German homework.  I need to be careful of fluid intake, because Mahler 3 is very long and there ain't no interval!  Then the return trip about 9:30pm.

Then Southwark Bridge tomorrow.

Dave, glad all is going smoothly at the moment.  Just asking, but do you have any siblings?  Also, I assume you are aware that you can vary the will, so that money can go to charity rather than fund Government parties.  Bill

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It may seem like bureaucracy gone mad, but they have to make sure you are entitled to the information  and the funds that may be there. 

They don't want an account holder appearing in 6 months to find they gave it all to someone who rocked up at the door.

Good to see that you taking time out. Something I neglected a bit and lost track of things a little in the mele. It can easily take over if you let it.

Meanwhile I'm surrounded by tradesmen here at SM42 Towers.

The street and drive looks like a second hand van dealers.

The builders are singing. 

I anticipate rain.

Andy the deafened 

Edited by SM42
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bbishop said:

I need to be careful of fluid intake, because Mahler 3 is very long and there ain't no interval!

It's a balancing act because the weather is also very warm and dehydration is as much a risk as involuntary micturition 😬

To each their own.  Father was quite the fan of Mahler and attended some Proms featuring his work in his younger days.  He did mention the lack of opportunity then to answer nature's call but never got into the nitty-gritty of how things went!  It's definitely not my thing but much the same considerations apply at the likes of a rock concert where there is no interval - you go before and you hang on until the end.  

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Like the messages from other TNMers it is most welcome

I'm not one to make much use of private messages on RMW but please be assured that our thoughts are with you and the ears are in good working order.  As are the shoulders should you need someone to lean on or talk to.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'd really like to crack on with the installation of the point motors and signals

A hippo standing on the board will definitely "crack on" 🤣

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12