Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

50 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Afternoon all,

Here some shots of the progress on “Hull No.3”, as she currently doesn’t have a name. (I decided not to do the Arawa, Hull No. 3 will be a early 1870s half steam half sail liner, similar to the Blue Funnel Line’s Agamemnon of 1865)

DEF10A67-CC18-45CE-89DE-6603DA623BBE.thumb.jpeg.220ec0fd8e180632987b94c85af63f50.jpeg

07327231-B724-4967-9B21-2C5DB86E7D03.thumb.jpeg.32356e29ffecc45b3581a2ccd4817864.jpeg

The hull is now finished bar any material that needs removing from the center to adjust the freeboard line after the deckhouses, masts and fittings get installed. Speaking of fittings five have been made, consisting of the two anchor capstans, anchor hawser pipe plates, and the bearing which the ruder will pivot on.

Next up is the foreword deckhouse.

Douglas

Nice turning!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The last time I was with a psychiatrist, he ended up in a straight jacket and having to be sedated.

I had to see one for a few sessions some years ago. My gastro consultant wanted to prescribe a medication, but it wasn’t suitable for anyone with certain psychiatric conditions. I reckon the psychiatrist was a classic Freudian analysis type. So we went through childhood and relationships. So at the end of the second session I asked if was going to be questions about pets,(I was being a bit facetious) and he said no, we were going to talk about humour. I said could I tell him my favourite joke.I did and he said we could skip that session, and I could start the medication and report back if it worked at the next visit. Still taking it and it still works. Not psychiatrists but Aditi had had to work with and manage psychologists. An interesting experience. At her first college the psychology lecturer disappeared and Aditi found herself being made acting head of psychology and required to deliver the module on deviance.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

My narrow gauge layout will need a fiddle yard unless I just want locos to trundle up and down the station area. I thought for the slides I would get some drawer runners. I was expecting the ones I ordered to be a bit flimsy. I was only really interested in the length they could extend. They seem rather robust and can cope with 150kg. No excuse for wobbly fiddle yard then I suppose. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

I won't be commenting on UK politics (we have more than enough of our own problems here) but as a pedantic engineer I have to point out that you can't "create" a vacuum. You can remove stuff (like that which resides in HH's garage) and if you remove enough of it the vacuum will be restored 😀

Maybe I should have said that since it sucks and is full of rubbish I call it Boris.

Dave

• Funny 12

A bit of fun for you on a Sunday Evening, a Teddy Bear Brownie Camp! The bears were in a display cabinet, in which I wanted some space for my trains, I had some scrap wood and one thing led to another. MiL with help from SWMBO used to run a Brownie Pack some years ago, daughters went through Brownies, guides etc. so ...

20220606_175207.jpg

20220606_175219.jpg

20220606_175319.jpg

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I visited Dad in hospital today and it wasn't good. He is not really lucid a lot of the time and when he is he is quite distressed. They are having trouble keeping the cannulas that are supplying the drugs working as his veins are in poor condition and keep collapsing. He has fluid in his right lung and to a lesser extent in the left and his heart is in partial failure. The hour I spent with him was quite traumatic and to be honest I was glad to get back home. For a bit of light relief we are going out to a strawberry tea tomorrow but I'm planning on seeing him again on Tuesday when I hope that the doctors will be able to give me some meaningful news and maybe even a prognosis. Today everyone was just dodging the issue and the impression I got was that they really don't have much idea of what is going on.

When I got back home I went down to the railway room for some modelling therapy, even though job #1 was to fix an electrical fault. When I ran a locomotive to check the exact point at which power was being lost, guess what? The fault had gone away so I just played trains instead - and you don't get any better therapy than that.

Dave

I'm so sorry to hear about your visit to your father. Seeing someone you love in such distress can be a very painful experience. It cannot also have been easy being in the hospital either. I know this because I went through something similar with my mother. At the time I also didn't think much of staff but now realise they were trying there best to help. This is a difficult time and you need to be strong in the coming days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

A bit of fun for you on a Sunday Evening, a Teddy Bear Brownie Camp! The bears were in a display cabinet, in which I wanted some space for my trains, I had some scrap wood and one thing led to another. MiL with help from SWMBO used to run a Brownie Pack some years ago, daughters went through Brownies, guides etc. so ...

20220606_175207.jpg

20220606_175219.jpg

20220606_175319.jpg

That reminded me of:

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Canal Digger said:

20220606_175207.jpg

20220606_175219.jpg

20220606_175319.jpg

We are meeting two of our children and their children for a bit of camping shortly although MrsID and I will be "glamping" in our caravan. We'll be near Anacortes on the Washington coast. Weather permitting the plan is to return via the North Cascades Highway which cuts across the the Cascade Range and ascends to 1,669m. The scenery is spectacular. It's open now but it gets so much snow in the Winter they have to shut it down.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Canal Digger said:

20220606_175207.jpg

20220606_175219.jpg

20220606_175319.jpg

'Oh that's lovely' said Nyda.

I do hope you've not dropped me into anything too deep.

My hippo collection is quite happy just being hippos.

• Like 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

Weather permitting the plan is to return via the North Cascades Highway which cuts across the the Cascade Range and ascends to 1,669m. The scenery is spectacular. It's open now but it gets so much snow in the Winter they have to shut it down.

I agree - that is a spectacular road. It can stay closed until late in the spring. We came over it late one May - it had been re-opened less than two weeks before. Remember to watch out for the plinthed loco at Newhalem.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

We attended the postponed garden party yesterday afternoon.

There was plenty of cake and other goodies.

I was the epitome of decorum with my cake eating habits in that I left some for the other guests.

Having returned home I treated myself to the remains of the 1/4 full bottle of Penderyn.

Today's activity will involve clearing a work bench of assorted clutter and then refilling it with pre-sorted clutter.

• Like 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I had what could be considered a model railway accident this morning. I was dreaming about adding some track to a layout. I needed to check if some track  was straight and climbed onto the layout and tripped. At this point I woke up as I fell (Aditi said flew) out of bed.  I landed on my knees and elbows.I didn’t bang my head but I didn’t feel,quite right until some toast and a few cups of tea had been consumed. 
Other news, DHL will be delivering a consignment of road pins to restrain the rampant shrub roses. It will of course be arriving in the one hour we will be out while Aditi delivers and collects me from my retinopathy test. Not allowed to drive afterwards. My first photo card driving licence arrived, I applied online as suggested last week. Very rapid service. They used my passport photo, it doesn’t look like the image of someone who should be allowed out with a motor vehicle. It doesn’t look quite so bad on the passport though. 
My fashio advice has been appreciated this morning. Aditi “wasn’t sure” about a new cardigan that had arrived by post. It was meant to be worn over a T shirt and not meant to meet at the front. I suggested looking at the photo of the model on the advert. It was decided that the item was meant to look like it did.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

As a result of nightmares I have thrown myself out of bed a few times its awful waking up on the bedroom floor wondering what the hell is going on. I have clouted my head on the bedside table quite badly before and come off worse and ended up in a tangle with the CPAP machine

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Way back on page one of TNM, I started off with dreams and phobias, and it would seem we are now back there again!

I have to admit that I dream of a tidy garage, but it's a living nightmare, although I will be first to admit that the disposal of accumulated junk is having a positive impact on the state it is currently internally.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

20 hours ago, AndyID said:

I won't be commenting on UK politics (we have more than enough of our own problems here) but as a pedantic engineer I have to point out that you can't "create" a vacuum. You can remove stuff (like that which resides in HH's garage) and if you remove enough of it the vacuum will be restored 😀

I guess you are right, but may we pretend you aren't - otherwise by the same logic we can't drill a hole.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Way back on page one of TNM, I started off with dreams and phobias, and it would seem we are now back there again!

I have to admit that I dream of a tidy garage, but it's a living nightmare, although I will be first to admit that the disposal of accumulated junk is having a positive impact on the state it is currently internally.

I am sad as my dreams are about my last job and given the fact that I had to give it up  twelve years ago that shows how bad it is.

What is worse is that like your fellow correspondent above I act them out. At which point DD jumps on my head and wakes me up as a) she objects to be woken herself and b) is happy to share her 'objection'.

I think it might be too do with not having any sheds.

Ian sad & without any sheds.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

am sad as my dreams are about my last job and given the fact that I had to give it up  twelve years ago that shows how bad it is.

I sometimes have dreams about my last job and that ended in 2000. Usually bad dreams too. There was nothing wrong with the job, I just became too Ill to continue and the procedure to dismiss me was somewhat clumsily handled. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

At which point DD jumps on my head and wakes me up a

On many social media sites “DD” is an abbreviation for,”dear daughter”. But fortunately I did notice your original explanation of your use of the term. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Walls  well one, has come down today. 

Windows going in tomorrow. Might even get the patio door in, but no glass for it yet. 

Heating alterations continue tomorrow too.  Once the walls are plasterboarded the new boiler can go on the wall and connected up, ready for final connection to water and gas. 

Modelling activity seems a distant memory. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 16