Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

I take it all back

Not 3 hours ago, I was sat contemplating my next wagon project when Mrs SM42 appeared, unannounced, ambushing me with some chocolate courgette cake.   ( No one expects the chocolate courgette combo)

And very nice, if a little limited in portion, it was too.

I had to have a beer to recover my composure. 

Andy

Slightly flustered by the whole experience. 

Edited by SM42
Wrong vegetable
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

Evening all,

My first day back work was more interesting than predicted.  Two months ago when I left I had manged to break a pivot, and without this pivot being mended I could not continue the rebuild.

So myself and Stephen, our resident tool and die machinist of 50 years experience (very interesting man) went into the back room where our much abused Unimat lathe lies to replace said ailing pivot. 

Pivots on a clock are case hardened steel axles fitted onto the ends of the mild steel arbors that pass through the gear wheels. The procedure for replacing them is to center drill, and then use some mind numbingly small size of carbide drill to remove the hardened steel. Then a length of new steel is cut and soldered in the hole.

Ours was 1.8 mm in diameter and unfortunately we didn't have a carbide drill this big so Stephen will finish the job for me on Friday when the new drill comes in.

I still don't yet know when I will be working or my the figure wages, as my boss was called away on a emergency job charted to us by a restoration company. I think it was for 10 clocks.

I also was given a brand new plate spreader for my desk, a sort of screw clamp in reverse that can hold the plates of a moment apart so you can fiddle about with lining up the pivots and their holes. It should be very helpful, I've tried assembling movements without one and its quite challenging. Good practice though.

Douglas

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I might be "orf the air" for a bit as I'll be on a mission to test the snow in Aspen. Fear not. There won't be a lot of Roger Moore stuff :D

I only took up skiing seriously later in life but it's a fantastic way to overcome the Winter doldrums not to mention that it's a really good form of exercise. Holler if you might want to give it a shot.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I was threatened with skiing once but I think I got away with it. 

This is of the cross country kind though, somewhere in the Tatras or round that way.

I don't think they provide an air rifle with the skis though.

I'm not against the idea but I think my body may have other thoughts about it. My back especially. 

Andy

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

I might be "orf the air" for a bit as I'll be on a mission to test the snow in Aspen. Fear not. There won't be a lot of Roger Moore stuff :D

I only took up skiing seriously later in life but it's a fantastic way to overcome the Winter doldrums not to mention that it's a really good form of exercise. Holler if you might want to give it a shot.

Bear wouldn't mind a crack a snowboarding....

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I am again having trouble accessing various parts of RMWeb, especially my PMs, so although I know I have a couple of PMs awaiting,  I haven't been able to get to my inbox.

My first winter in Germany with the Army was spent doing mainly Biathlon.

They asked for volunteers to go to the Regimental Ski hut to act as support staff for the Regimental winter sports team, so whilst all my cronies were busy trying not to get 'volunteered', I stepped forward.

It was supposed to be a fortnight, but it ended up as 2 months as I was transferred from staff to team when they found out I was quite a good shot.

Meanwhile, back in Hohne, my cronies were busy getting cold and wet whilst changing out tracks and doing overwinter maintenance on  our Chieftain tanks.

We all got fit, but I came back with the added benefit of a sun tan!

• Like 13
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AndyID said:

Just make sure it's the baddies that get chewed up by the rotary. We don't want you being shot out as pink snow. (George Lazonby IIRC OHMSS)

Jamie

• Funny 11

On 23/01/2022 at 03:19, BR60103 said:

I had a tour of Toronto's subway shops. 

Well I never, a tourist trek ‘round Canadian sandwich sellers

What will they think of next….

14 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear has followed all the rules at all times.......:laugh:

…And Bear is happy to pay £10 for a slice of cake from a Great British Bake Off winner…

Yeah, right….

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

…And Bear is happy to pay £10 for a slice of cake from a Great British Bake Off winner…

Yeah, right….

Was Bear on the Judging Panel? :no:

Was Hippo on the Judging Panel? :no:

Conclusion?  Judged by Amateurs.....

:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Well I never, a tourist trek ‘round Canadian sandwich sellers

What will they think of next….

It must be a Canadian thing. When we did our last cruise one of the port calls was to Sept-Iles. This was a fairly new cruise stop. Arriving at the iron ore quay was a bit of a giveaway.  Anyway after a tour of the local places of interest there was a bit of time left so the tour guide got the driver to drive past all four of the town’s Tim Hortons.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I am getting rather grumpy in my dotage.

Having finally got back to some semblance of normality with accessing RMWeb, I had a quick scull around to see what was happening and came across a number of posts asking questions.

In the past, I've stepped in to try and help, but have now decided that unless a question is put directly to me, then I'll leave it to the infinite amount of experts that leap in to assist, get on and agree, repeat, confuse the issue, go off on a tangent or even contradict each other, as they manage all that far better than I ever could!

I'm now going out to the workshop to sort out the pile of drill bits I knocked over some time back.

I have been putting it off for far too long!

Pretty normal for me then:laugh_mini:.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am again having trouble accessing various parts of RMWeb, especially my PMs, so although I know I have a couple of PMs awaiting,  I haven't been able to get to my inbox.

My first winter in Germany with the Army was spent doing mainly Biathlon.

They asked for volunteers to go to the Regimental Ski hut to act as support staff for the Regimental winter sports team, so whilst all my cronies were busy trying not to get 'volunteered', I stepped forward.

It was supposed to be a fortnight, but it ended up as 2 months as I was transferred from staff to team when they found out I was quite a good shot.

Meanwhile, back in Hohne, my cronies were busy getting cold and wet whilst changing out tracks and doing overwinter maintenance on  our Chieftain tanks.

We all got fit, but I came back with the added benefit of a sun tan!

Yes but what where you like on the skies that's what we won't to know?

I've now got an image of a hippo hurtling down the mountain clutching a high powered rifle.

We need pictures.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

I've had a rather productive, if expensive day. 

First up, Mrs SM42's chariot needed an MOT. Followed her to work. Left my car there and took hers in. 

A pleasant  walk along the canal rather than wait in the test centre and back to a pass :danced:

Just had to swap the cars back over then. 

Next up buy a bathroom. Ouch!

There are a lot less modelling tokens available now, but 1 brownie point had been earnt. 

Next a trip to the local model shop for something they hadn't got. But not a complete loss as there was tea and chat to be had and I found other things to buy. ( she doesn't know and I'm not telling her)

This afternoon the shed has been tackled.

I actually got to the back wall.

A place I have not been to for at least 6 or 7 years. 

Shed rubbish taken to tip ( mainly chipboard saved just in case 14 years ago from  the old built in wardrobes) 

Mrs SM42 has now gone out to get her hair done and then off to church to take down the Christmas tree.

Meanwhile I have stashed ours back in the loft. 

I  sit here now with my lower back letting me know it is not happy with all this unprecedented activity. 

I may build a wagon kit later for therapeutic reasons  

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I've now got an image of a hippo hurtling down the mountain clutching a high powered rifle.

We need pictures.

You hardly hurtle along  when cross country skiing.  I seemed to spend most of my time going up steep hills and then recovering on slow shallow slopes.

At the time I was getting paid £15.00 a fortnight, so pictures are non existent

I could hardly afford cake and beer let alone a camera and the cost of developing film.

The German air rifle regulations which we had to adhere to as we were roaming the German countryside very much out of uniform, limited the power output of the air rifles to a mere 6 ft/lbs (about 8 Joules). Enough to punch paper, but little else.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

snip<

The German air rifle regulations which we had to adhere to as we were roaming the German countryside very much out of uniform, limited the power output of the air rifles to a mere 6 ft/lbs (about 8 Joules). Enough to punch paper, but little else.

Was just thinking how that compared to the recurve bow Debs uses - 40ft/lb ish.....eek.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

We need pictures.

You did ask.....

image.png.1314f7856c736aa6f9dce706c0609cf4.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 8

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, polybear said:

You did ask.....

image.png.1314f7856c736aa6f9dce706c0609cf4.png

Oh lord!

Hippo the Eagle

I dread to think how he's getting any thrust.

Heads up, mouths closed.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I do not think that I want to know! :o

A certain retired Sqn Ldr is better informed on the workings of an after burner.

The problem with ski jumps is I'm ok until I get to the bottom.  It's the upward facing ramp that can't stand the strain

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Was just thinking how that compared to the recurve bow Debs uses - 40ft/lb ish.....eek.

That is the big problem with stringed instruments!

Absolutely no rules as to who can use them, so a person who is ineligible under Section 21 of the firearms act to possess or use a 12 ft/lb air rifle, can still legally possess a longbow or crossbow that both put out far  more power that is well in excess of a  non FAC rated air rifle.

What was that about the law being an ass?

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold

I should add that, I have today developed a cough and what appears to be a cold.

A PCR test has proved negative.

The Penderyn has been released from captivity.  (Purely for medicinal purposes.)

I don't think it is going to survive for very long out in the wild.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

Evening all,

I made a good bit of progress on Brunel’s tender today in the form of machining the angle brackets square on the lathe. They aren’t exactly pretty but nobody know will but me. 

1A341005-940E-4749-8F6C-849260DD61FB.jpeg.9ec5bbb8b0e7d77d1dd6f22c1dd865a1.jpeg

These angles also act as frame stretchers. I’m not sure yet if I will do a center frame stretcher as I think I’ll let the tender tank base take the strain. 

The rest of tender will be soldered brass, and it’s interior will be taken up with batteries and wiring. The top will be a varnished wood board with a old style brass switch on it, and maybe a reversing switch if I can decipher how Henry Hreenly says it’s possible to make one. 

Douglas

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have surfaced rather later than usual.

The  sacrifice of some Penderyn last night was worthwhile.

I shall be taking it easy today in order not to aggravate any coughing fits as the last thing I want is a sore throat and chest.

What is left of the day can be spent sitting, reading, thinking up evermore improbable track plans and drinking tea.

Sadly there is no cake.

Douglas. you require a simple SPDT to swap the polarity around to allow reversing.  Alternatively you could either build or buy in a complete control board to run the loco.  modern electronics being far more efficient for speed control than the old wire wound rheostat.  It also would be far more frugal with the battery consumption.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7