Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Sorry I was just excited about somebody mentioning hamsters. Romans used to eat dormice on sticks. Not the teeny dormice that live in hazel groves but big ones with the unfortunate name of edible dormice. They  are still over much of Europe but there  are a few in the UK. They like to live in roof spaces and can be noisy but they are protected and  require special permission to move. I have no idea if they have ever been in a shed. We had some quite interesting giant slugs living in our shed roof.

The giant orange ones?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Which begs the obvious question, Tony, how do you eat your slugs?

Dunno about anyone else, but apparently you boil 'em in lightly salted water for 15 minutes.

It also helps to feed them a diet of lettuce for a couple of weeks before cooking to flush "stuff" out of their digestive tracts...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Coastalview and I both attended another session about CAD/CAM  laser cutting and 3D printing at the Borders MRC in Llandrinio this morning.

Most useful it was and I am now seriously considering buying a small laser/engraver/cutter as well as a 3D printer.

I believe they can be used for creating non railway stuff for the likes of grandchildren, Girlguiding fundraising events or even certain Christmas decorations.

These tasks being very important in the persuasion stakes of the Comptroller of Finance.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

My “it won’t be difficult” removing the dead dwarf pear trees was not my most correct statement today. Any wood bigger than a lopper could cope with was requiring a lot more effort than I expected when using either of the tree saws.  So I thought perhaps I should try the chainsaw. I haven’t used it for a while but it has been well stored and I checked all the oil.   I got all my protective clothing on and switched it on , it is electric, and just got a whirring sound. I then recalled I had lent it to someone., and I hadn’t used it since. The motor wasn’t driving the chain so I put the chain back,over the sprocket and adjusted the tension and the chain then worked.. But it wouldn’t cut at all. So I thought perhaps it needs sharpening. My saw has an Oregon bar and chain with a nifty sharpening device. Made no difference. I then thought perhaps I needed a new chain and entered the confusing world of chainsaws. Until today I thought Oregon bar was either something to do with lawyers or craft ale. Fortunately after staring at pictures of really cheap “genuine” replacements or quite expensive guaranteed genuine replacements Imwent out and gave the chainsaw a good hard stare. This was a good thing as I realised when the saw had been returned to me the chain was the wrong way round. Works perfectly now. 
I may even get around to moving stuff about in the garage which I intended to do today.  
Tony

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The giant orange ones?

17296043858543224465408206270112.jpg.1eed5a54d56bc7fd938a5e3d600ac424.jpg?

Bit too indigestible for me.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Which begs the obvious question, Tony, how do you eat your slugs?

I personally don’t but my brother has eaten sluggy creatures when he was being entertained by Thai Army. 
The giant slugs in the shed roof were of a variety that only eat dead wood unlike the slugs that eat hostas.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

These tasks being very important in the persuasion stakes of the Comptroller of Finance.

Aditi is always very impressed when I use one of the model railway tools to repair something. I wouldn’t use the garden chainsaw on my railway. Though when I see some of the layouts on here and in magazines I sometimes feel like ripping it all up and starting again. 

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I seem to recall that the Romans stuffed them and ate them off a stick - like a toffee apple. Baked hedgehog anyone?

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Wasn’t that’s the edible dormouse? A small colony live wild in Hertfordshire but aren’t left over from the Romans, these are a later introduction. Protected species, so you can’t just evict them from your loft. 

Yes we are familiar with edible dormice aka glis glis. They have been in the loft and the shed but I haven't seen them for a while. They are definitely not a protected species.  A wooden mallet is quite effe tive and the owls recycle them. 

As to hamsters, I thought we were getting back to felching but I won't go down that route. 

Jamie

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Sounds very much to me like a person not to lend stuff to next time…..

48 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My “it won’t be difficult” removing the dead dwarf pear trees was not my most correct statement today. Any wood bigger than a lopper could cope with was requiring a lot more effort than I expected when using either of the tree saws.  So I thought perhaps I should try the chainsaw. I haven’t used it for a while but it has been well stored and I checked all the oil.   I got all my protective clothing on and switched it on , it is electric, and just got a whirring sound. I then recalled I had lent it to someone., and I hadn’t used it since. The motor wasn’t driving the chain so I put the chain back,over the sprocket and adjusted the tension and the chain then worked.. But it wouldn’t cut at all. So I thought perhaps it needs sharpening. My saw has an Oregon bar and chain with a nifty sharpening device. Made no difference. I then thought perhaps I needed a new chain and entered the confusing world of chainsaws. Until today I thought Oregon bar was either something to do with lawyers or craft ale. Fortunately after staring at pictures of really cheap “genuine” replacements or quite expensive guaranteed genuine replacements Imwent out and gave the chainsaw a good hard stare. This was a good thing as I realised when the saw had been returned to me the chain was the wrong way round. Works perfectly now. 
I may even get around to moving stuff about in the garage which I intended to do today.  
Tony

• Agree 1