Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Leaving Paris, we have just passed a disused signalbox, near Versailles Chantiers. Much graffitied, the most legible word is “SPAD”!

My rucksack is full of contraband. Two Dia 2406 BCKs; two petrol tankers (identical - a click&collect error. But I had plenty of time to examine them in the shop, so mea culpa, too); an Accurascale Siphon G; two Rapido ex-LNWR vans; a Hornby M7 and a Peco Code 75 LH curved point. Should give some entertainment until my next trip, 7th November. 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Leaving Paris, we have just passed a disused signalbox, near Versailles Chantiers. Much graffitied, the most legible word is “SPAD”!

My rucksack is full of contraband. Two Dia 2406 BCKs; two petrol tankers (identical - a click&collect error. But I had plenty of time to examine them in the shop, so mea culpa, too); an Accurascale Siphon G; two Rapido ex-LNWR vans; a Hornby M7 and a Peco Code 75 LH curved point. Should give some entertainment until my next trip, 7th November. 

Sounds like a very mixed bag.... 🙃

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

...snip... It also highlights how we tend to be oblivious to tragedies elsewhere. Loss of life in the 'Estonia' tragedy was far higher than the Herald loss yet in the UK few remember the 'Estonia'. And virtually nobody in Europe has heard of the 'Dona Paz' disaster in 1987 in the Philippines which is estimated to have killed over 4000 people.

Every time that I read figures like those, I think of MV Wilhelm Gustloff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Wilhelm_Gustloff

Over 9,000 people died but the true total will never be known!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Every time that I read figures like those, I think of MV Wilhelm Gustloff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Wilhelm_Gustloff

Over 9,000 people died but the true total will never be known!

And the Lancastria,  potentially similar numbers.  On a smaller scale but probably just as impactive to it's community, The Iolair. 

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

And the Lancastria,  potentially similar numbers.  On a smaller scale but probably just as impactive to it's community, The Iolair. 

Jamie

I have a book about the LANCASTRIA, I read just earlier this year.